Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM

26 posts, read 21,033 times

Advertisements

So I have a Chemistry BA which is pretty much useless since any lab will be looking for a BS. There are plenty of articles posted on the internet that say college major doesn't really matter but every job I find requires some specific set of majors. Should I apply anyway even though my major isn't one of those specific majors? Does anyone have any experience with landing a job like that? I am thinking of applying to jobs in marketing, advertising, and maybe analyst roles. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis92 View Post
So I have a Chemistry BA which is pretty much useless since any lab will be looking for a BS. There are plenty of articles posted on the internet that say college major doesn't really matter but every job I find requires some specific set of majors. Should I apply anyway even though my major isn't one of those specific majors? Does anyone have any experience with landing a job like that? I am thinking of applying to jobs in marketing, advertising, and maybe analyst roles. Any advice would be appreciated.
Are you kidding me dude?

Do you really think the difference between a BA and a BS makes one degree useless and the other one useful?

Somebody has taken a jug from the pool of 'everything that is wrong with education as it relates to careers' and force fed it to you.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Are you kidding me dude?

Do you really think the difference between a BA and a BS makes one degree useless and the other one useful?

Somebody has taken a jug from the pool of 'everything that is wrong with education as it relates to careers' and force fed it to you.
Maybe I am wrong it's just every job I see states BS required. But anyways I would probably rather do something outside of chemistry if possible.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong it's just every job I see states BS required. But anyways I would probably rather do something outside of chemistry if possible.
That's just because most schools award a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry. So it's just a naming convention on job descriptions.

But only the biggest stuck up moron would differentiate between a BS and a BA in Chemistry in deciding whether to hire an entry level bachelors employee.

If you didn't want to work in Chemistry, then why did you finish the degree?

Yea, just look at job descriptions all over the place and spend some time cross-crafting your resume.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Apply for jobs in entry level finance or banking operations. Highlight your advanced math, statistics, and research and analysis skills.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM

140 posts, read 144,187 times
Times might have changed but 90% of the people I knew in my 20s and 30s were in fields other than their majors (The 10% were primarily Med and Law).

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
That's just because most schools award a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry. So it's just a naming convention on job descriptions.

But only the biggest stuck up moron would differentiate between a BS and a BA in Chemistry in deciding whether to hire an entry level bachelors employee.

If you didn't want to work in Chemistry, then why did you finish the degree?

Yea, just look at job descriptions all over the place and spend some time cross-crafting your resume.
I was pretty good in chemistry in high school and I really wanted to be a dentist and since the chemistry major had a concentration in biochemistry at my school it fit in well with the whole dentistry thing.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM

What types of entry level finance jobs are there? Do you mean like financial analyst? -charylgal

I am not sure if times have changed but it seems like these days there is a major for everything. - enterprising

Old 06-20-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I was pretty good in chemistry in high school and I really wanted to be a dentist and since the chemistry major had a concentration in biochemistry at my school it fit in well with the whole dentistry thing.
What is it that you want?

Would you rather make $50K (when you're 40 years old) and do something you really like or do you want to do whatever and make $140K a year?

And you cannot have both.

Think about it and answer honestly. Your whole career search is based off that question IMHO.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me dude?
I agree. They both are equally useless.

I am told some insurance jobs take many different majors. Back in the day I tried the whole functional resume thing but didn't get any hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment