Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:58 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What I'm getting at is they should know that they are accountable for every decision they make and their is recourse for making an unpopular decision. They shouldn't just be able to get away with whatever they want just because they are in a position of authority, they need to be held accountable by those under them.

And to answer your question, no, I have held two jobs in my life and quit both of them. I've never been fired.
2 jobs and quit both.....let me do some math here, that means you are currently unemployed? And, probably young, like very young. I think you might have a lot to learn still about the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
What do you think the main difference is between a person who always bows to authority and a person who is always fighting against whatever authority is in place? Is it just part of their personality? Or is something else at play here?

I'm obviously of the later camp. I feel that no authority is benevolent or unchanging, it is merely the ability to force others into compliance. Therefore I feel it needs to be under constant scrutiny and always have its powers questions so that the power can't get out of control. And when an authority figure becomes a tyrant, that authority needs to be removed ASAP. The authority figure is just a figurehead, and is subject to the will of the people he "controls", without their consent, they have no power, and they need to be constantly aware of it. I would rather have an authority figure constantly in fear of making decisions out of fear of what the people will do than an unquestioned despot who can do whatever they want.

What do you guys think?
I think you had an issue with your parents.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
OP you need to at least part time... go into politics.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
2 jobs and quit both.....let me do some math here, that means you are currently unemployed? And, probably young, like very young. I think you might have a lot to learn still about the workplace.
I'm currently self employed, working on my own fixing cars and doing other side jobs. It's great being my own boss!!!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I think you had an issue with your parents.

Could you eleaborate maybe? Why do you see all authority as benevolent and having your best interest at heart? Authority is only concerned with keeping and expanding its own power, not you or me or anybody else.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Why do you see all authority as benevolent and having your best interest at heart? Authority is only concerned with keeping and expanding its own power, not you or me or anybody else.

OP you can make some incredibly general statements.

IMO life's mostly grey where you seem to see everything as black and white.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
OP you can make some incredibly general statements.

IMO life's mostly grey where you seem to see everything as black and white.

Well excuse me for being skeptical of people's intentions and keeping them on a short lease vs. letting them run free doing whatever they want. Once the beast is released, it's very hard to put back in its cage, that's why we need to always keep it there.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM

564 posts, read 448,813 times
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! Relax already! You come across to me as being a total head case! Like you, I prefer to not have a boss. Others want/need a boss. I have worked with our country's leaders/ bosses. The service manager you spoke of? I think he might have been a US senator I knew.

It's life. The Serenity Prayer, I recommend it to you. Peace.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! Relax already! You come across to me as being a total head case! Like you, I prefer to not have a boss. Others want/need a boss. I have worked with our country's leaders/ bosses. The service manager you spoke of? I think he might have been a US senator I knew.

It's life. The Serenity Prayer, I recommend it to you. Peace.
Why am I a "total head case"?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
The oppositional person that has to oppose everything just as a general principle is
a slave to that behavior.

A free thinking person goes along with what they see as good,
but can and do challenge authority when they feel it is important.

I am a pretty agreeable person, follow most rules but
can be very defiant when I think it is called for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment