Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

because you think in absolutes and are convinced that all authority is 'teh evil'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
because you think in absolutes and are convinced that all authority is 'teh evil'?
And you seem convinced that all authority is good and has your best interest at heart.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:08 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
And you seem convinced that all authority is good and has your best interest at heart.
You got that from my few little quips here? You are gooood, except you are wrong, I generally take things on a case by case basis and actually judge things by their merit. I do not assume that everyone in a position of authority is a power hungry evil despot, although I do understand there are some out there, lol.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Neither extreme is good, but those "rebels" have always annoyed me since childhood. They waste time, take resources and fun from others, and they ruin it for everyone else.

I think they are attention wh**es.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Well excuse me for being skeptical of people's intentions and keeping them on a short lease vs. letting them run free doing whatever they want. Once the beast is released, it's very hard to put back in its cage, that's why we need to always keep it there.

This comes across as crazy paranoid.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This comes across as crazy paranoid.

"Men are not against you; they are merely for themselves." - Gene Fowler

The above quote summarizes why I'm skeptical of all authority. They are looking out for their own interests and goals above everyone elses, and most are perfectly willing to throw others under the bus to achieve their own ends. I agree with the above poster in that you should take it on a case by case basis, but from the start they should be on a short lease until they have proven themselves worthy of giving them some slack. And once they abuse their power, we reel them back in and put them in their place. Don't let authority run wild like an animal doing whatever it wants unchecked, slap a saddle on it's back and make it work for the good of everyone.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
This is not about me. This is a discussion about the bigger picture, about why some people always bow to authority and see all authority as justified, those who don't see any authority as justifed, and those with feelings somewhere in the middle. This is not a finger pointing contest about how "it's all your fault OP because you're a bad person and everyone else is great".

As lots of people will say "The world doesn't revolve around you or me" and neither does this thread. It's about a concept bigger than you or me that I find very interesting and would like other's points of view.
It's simply your personal belief system. Some people are very into authoritarianism. The extreme ones I've known like being told what to do. They are very fearful, and do not want to be responsible for making a bad decision or a mistake. I worked with one--she was unbelievable--controlling husband, obeyed every boss to the letter (employers love these types of people), super conservative and if a mistake had, in fact, been made, she would go to great unbelievable lengths to prove it was not her fault.

I've always believed you should question authority because I found that many of the authority figures in my life early on, parents, teachers, etc. could be wrong. People are flawed--you need to decide things for yourself, not simply accept what someone tells you as being the definitive truth or rule. I obviously do better with flexible supervision and those that allow for independent thought--I respect them more. Not fond of the rigid army general type.

Remember reading about some East Germans who were raised under communism and then escaped, but went back because they didn't like making their own decisions. Interesting.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM

600 posts, read 566,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Authority should be questioned if power is in the hands of complete idiots who have no clue what the hell they are doing

If not, get ready for mass layoffs or complete company closings
But when the masses do it to Trump, people complain and just say "they're bitter losers". Trump won, get over it!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
My status says it all.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
There is an old saying in the business world.

There are three ways of doing something. The right way, the wrong way, and the company way of doing everything. A company knows if things are done a certain way, they can expect to make so much profit from the business. When they hire someone and tell/show them how and what they want the employee to do, they expect them to do as instructed. Often they have already tried all the ways it can be done, and know which is the most profitable.

When they hire someone to work for them, they want it done the company way. If an employee refuses to do it the company way, or argues with the boss, they are told;

It is the company way or the highway (the employee will be fired if he/she does not do things the company way). That is the way the employee should do things, or they will be gone which
is what they deserve.

A job is not operated as a Democracy where employees each decide how they will do their job. It is a Monarchy, with one king at the top to decide how things will be done, or a Prince running things in a department. If things are done their way, they know they can reach a certain profit.

Last edited by oldtrader; 06-21-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment