Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM

86 posts, read 106,029 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

A little while ago, I had received an offer but since there were potential red flags, I ended up declining that offer. So I'm in a conundrum here and I need some advice. I am 32, a materials engineer by trade and have been working in the industry for 6+ years. But, now I have two offers in hand that I need some advice / help on.

Option 1:
- Keeps me in the materials engineering area; role is similar to what I had in Pac NW
- $110k base + 20% annual bonus + 20 paid vacation days + $5000 annual allowance for Stock purchase + 401(k) match, medical etc.
- 60-70% travel
- Negative part: Relocation to midwest
- One of the biggest companies in the world (~$33 billion)

Option 2:
- Industry change to a consultant role
- $90k base + $7k annual bonus + 10 paid vacation days + medical + 401k match
- Almost 100% travel (if project is not local)
- Get to stay in the Pac NW
- Negative part: It would be a $10k paycut (if I was still employed)
- Small company (~3000 employees worldwide; ~$330 million revenue)

My question(s) for consultants is:
Has anyone ever made the transition from a specialized engineer to a consultant? What has been the career outlook been?

Is it worth taking a paycut for the preferred location?

I was at a Senior lever and would essentially be going to a consultant level. Has anyone ever done that and is it wise to do that?

Are there any benefits of being a consultant that I am missing? In the long run, would consulting provide a better career growth? The way it's set up is, Consultant -> Senior Consultant -> Manager -> Senior Manager etc. It's not a big 4 consulting company.

I know ultimately the decision is mine; however it would be great to hear some of the thought process from individuals who may have been in a similar situation.

Thank you for your assistance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 05:18 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I can't help much here since you're in such a specialized area. I had an ex who was a consultant and he loved it because of the variety. I've done some consulting work but it was on the side.

As for the location, is that really a concern given that you could be travelling 100% of the time? Option 1 seems like the best all around choice.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:27 PM

860 posts, read 1,337,937 times
I am an environmental consultant. Likely the biggest shock for you will be having to be billable and doing a time sheet rather than just punching in and out. You want to make sure they have enough work for you. Consulting firms can turn nasty when they're slow. Can you negotiate the offer to be higher? But if it was me, I'd take the offer since it's better than being unemployed. It will introduce you to consulting and open you up to other consulting jobs. I would stay small with consulting firms - they're more nimble and more of the market is open to them.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:14 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
I was FTE analyst--->consultant--->FTE Senior Analyst/Team lead, but employee level benefits--->Senior Consultant--->FTE Analyst, but in title only--I have Director benefits/salary/bonus.

As a consultant, are you paid hourly? Is it through a consulting firm who places you to different roles? And that is how you are estimating your base? Realistically, most consultants work more than 40 hours a week--it's usually more like 50 hours billable.

What are your overall career goals? I was close to 31 when I started my current (and final) career path, that I stated above...my ultimate goal was to be in the top 5% analyst pool in the country for what I do...and I succeeded. I took a monetary pay cut on this last move...but my work/life balance is amazing and I'm still sitting very pretty financially and for my future.

Basically--look at it long term, not short term.

Personally, one of the few things I always said no to was the midwest. The Mayo Clinic could want to hire me and I would say no. That's just a personal preference, however.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I can't help much here since you're in such a specialized area. I had an ex who was a consultant and he loved it because of the variety. I've done some consulting work but it was on the side.

As for the location, is that really a concern given that you could be travelling 100% of the time? Option 1 seems like the best all around choice.
You are right. The location doesn't really matter with the consulting gig, but they will have me base out of my current city and not relocate to anywhere else. Option 1 will require me to relocate to the midwest.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I was FTE analyst--->consultant--->FTE Senior Analyst/Team lead, but employee level benefits--->Senior Consultant--->FTE Analyst, but in title only--I have Director benefits/salary/bonus.

As a consultant, are you paid hourly? Is it through a consulting firm who places you to different roles? And that is how you are estimating your base? Realistically, most consultants work more than 40 hours a week--it's usually more like 50 hours billable.

What are your overall career goals? I was close to 31 when I started my current (and final) career path, that I stated above...my ultimate goal was to be in the top 5% analyst pool in the country for what I do...and I succeeded. I took a monetary pay cut on this last move...but my work/life balance is amazing and I'm still sitting very pretty financially and for my future.

Basically--look at it long term, not short term.

Personally, one of the few things I always said no to was the midwest. The Mayo Clinic could want to hire me and I would say no. That's just a personal preference, however.
I wouldn't be paid hourly. It's set up similar to Deloitte and others where you are employed by the consulting company, but then go to client sites on different projects. The base is what they have offered me and it is not an estimate on my end.

As far as the midwest goes, I used to live there and did not really enjoy living there at all. It comes down to this: if I want to stay in the materials side, then this role takes me a step closer to the upper echelons of the industry.

If I do not want to stay in materials and move into Consulting, and hope to get into the big 4, then this opportunity is nice and something completely different.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
If I was single I would choose option 1.

Married I would choose option 2.

Your traveling for both so who knows where you will be day in and day out.

It is more than likely cheaper to live in the mid west and since you don't like it I would call it temporary, lets say 5 to 6 years tops. If you already own a home and like your home then rent it out with an agency. Some people think we are in a bubble again, If you think the same you could consider selling your home and cashing out. In 5 years buy back cheaper. I am not advocating that I know where the market is as I don't. I think it is not all the way where it had been in 2007. So I would not sell at this time. You might think differently on this.

Either way I am betting you could find a much cheaper place to live in the mid-west.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If I was single I would choose option 1.

Married I would choose option 2.

Your traveling for both so who knows where you will be day in and day out.

It is more than likely cheaper to live in the mid west and since you don't like it I would call it temporary, lets say 5 to 6 years tops. If you already own a home and like your home then rent it out with an agency. Some people think we are in a bubble again, If you think the same you could consider selling your home and cashing out. In 5 years buy back cheaper. I am not advocating that I know where the market is as I don't. I think it is not all the way where it had been in 2007. So I would not sell at this time. You might think differently on this.

Either way I am betting you could find a much cheaper place to live in the mid-west.
I'm single and not married and a renter. So do not really own a home at all. I actually moved here from TX and have enjoyed living here.

I've been looking at rental prices and for 1 BR apartments, the costs are approaching similar levels as here unless I want to live in the burbs.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 AM

Also, a quick question that popped up, does brand matter on your resume? For example a small company vs a larger known brand in the world?

Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
Also, a quick question that popped up, does brand matter on your resume? For example a small company vs a larger known brand in the world?
Yes, and no. What matters in Consulting are exit opportunities. That is, which one of these gigs will get you to the desired position in Industry?

Also, Midwest is a big place. There's a bit of a difference between Chicago and Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment