Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
This sounds like the interview was a job assigned to you and you are trying to pass it off to the other employee. You say you emailed her the contact info and told her she could make arrangements. Did you even ask her if she could or was willing to do it? Or did you just assume/demand she'd do it? Since she does not want to be apart of the story and it was originally your job task, 2 hour commute or not, it is your job to talk to the reporter. You just sound bitter that you weren't able to hand it off to her. Your last comment regarding her not wanting to be a part of the team and pretty much the sum of your last post of complaints about her, scream 'OP is bitter' to me. I don't know the relationship between the OP and the employee. However, from what has been said in this thread, it seems like the OP and employee are on a similar level rather than a manager/employee relationship.
Amen! Something does not add up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM

6,566 posts, read 4,960,720 times
As an ex-employee of a company who was in the media often, especially Facebook, I get where the employee is coming from.

I have an uncommon last name. There are THREE people with my entire name in the country that I've found. I have lived alone often and would hate for people to be able to find me in that way - I was cautious of this long before the internet was popular.

The job I was at that loved using Facebook.... I did my best to stay away and actually had our official photographer "trained" to take pix of my area but not to have me in there at all. Once I found a picture of myself on someones FB page - who I didn't even know! She had taken a pic of a room and I happened to be in there. She tagged a number of people but thankfully she didn't know my name.

Another time someone came in to write an article about what we as an office liked in our personal time. Again, I tried to sneak away but the girl caught me as I was headed out. Gave her what she was looking for and why bother? All she got right was my name (first name only).

My name tags have always been first name only since my first job. If you insist, I'll add my last initial. But that's all you get.

Now that I'm older of course my name is out there more. The worst cases are from the job above, where our director decided to start a blog and she would often thank the staff that helped on each project using full names. So if you google image my name - HER picture sometimes comes up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think this is what it's really about. New CEO. New manager. Find a justification to get rid of the old without having to pay. Setting up a situation to either get her to resign or fire for insubordination.
Yep - had that happen once too. New manager and I did not click together at all. She started to change my job description, or subtly ask me to do something "only if you have time!" and then use it against me if I didn't. Best example was when she wanted me to drive almost an hour each way 4 days a week for IT support - when I was internal support hoping to hire a part timer and we had an entire external support team that had free time AND an internal guy that was a headhunter for clients. These people needed an employee, not random once in awhile help. That was writing on the wall day for sure! And sure thing, she twisted it completely around and wrote me up for "refusing to help a client" - I had to go above her head to plead my case on that one.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM

404 posts, read 193,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I have an employee that is rather difficult. Very negative, everything is a problem. The latest issue is as follows. A newspaper wants to do a lifestyles story on our company. The newspaper is located about 2 hrs from me and in this employees territory. In order to save me time commuting, I emailed her and told her the contact info for the reporter, and she could make arrangements.

The response was she does not authorize her name to be used in such reports. I sort of understand that she wants privacy, but I googled her name and there are many articles that include her name and position. These articles were generated by our clients. Her name and phone number appear on the company website. She helped create the website, so I know she is aware of this.

She is very good at her job. The clients love her. The problem is she wants to do everything her way. She acts as tho she is independent. Doesn't want to be part of the team.

Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Worked with guy before who requested no mention of his name or title in the company website. The company was quite small with around 20 employees, so practically all people were mentioned there in some context. The exec dir. even inquired as to why he did not want to be listed. His reply in front of some other mgrs was that he did not any form of social media. Period.

Ironically, this same guy took it upon himself to post a profile in a lesser known professional website. In it he truly misrepresented the truth and his position at the company. At one time calling himself the controller when in fact he was not.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM

186 posts, read 131,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
Worked with guy before who requested no mention of his name or title in the company website. The company was quite small with around 20 employees, so practically all people were mentioned there in some context. The exec dir. even inquired as to why he did not want to be listed. His reply in front of some other mgrs was that he did not any form of social media. Period.

Ironically, this same guy took it upon himself to post a profile in a lesser known professional website. In it he truly misrepresented the truth and his position at the company. At one time calling himself the controller when in fact he was not.
Anyone can pretend to be anyone online so who knows if it was him.

With facial recognition software being used by companies like Facebook, no one in their right mind should want their face online

My husband can be seen on Google maps which we aren't too happy about

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
I agree. The OP just has it out for the other person....and has wanted to get after her for a while. But OP's previous management said leave the worker alone.

So the OP has been chafing at the bit. And now that new upper management has come in and wants to tighten things up a bit...OP wants to run with that like Rambo -- and aim her fire power that that employee.

And to be honest unless you are the employee's direct boss -- which I don't think you said you are (or her work DIRECTLY affects you) -- why are you even concerned about what this employee does or doesn't do?

Which of course, as many others have pointed out, is completely separate from the interview issue. You wanted to push the interview off on her. Yes, it's her territory and her clients...but that still doesn't mean YOU can't do the interview.

Trust me, no one will even notice or miss the fact that she wasn't part of the article. If you work for a social service agency there should be any number of people who could to the interview. As a matter of fact: Why CAN'T YOU do it?

Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I agree. The OP just has it out for the other person....and has wanted to get after her for a while. But OP's previous management said leave the worker alone.

So the OP has been chafing at the bit. And now that new upper management has come in and wants to tighten things up a bit...OP wants to run with that like Rambo -- and aim her fire power that that employee.

And to be honest unless you are the employee's direct boss -- which I don't think you said you are (or her work DIRECTLY affects you) -- why are you even concerned about what this employee does or doesn't do?

Which of course, as many others have pointed out, is completely separate from the interview issue. You wanted to push the interview off on her. Yes, it's her territory and her clients...but that still doesn't mean YOU can't do the interview.

Trust me, no one will even notice or miss the fact that she wasn't part of the article. If you work for a social service agency there should be any number of people who could to the interview. As a matter of fact: Why CAN'T YOU do it?
Why doesn't OP want her name in the press? Why doesn't OP want the spotlight on her? By passing on the interview to person X she is pretty much giving person X more shine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment