Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM

285 posts, read 223,734 times

Advertisements

I have a 57 year old distant relative who has never worked. He has no education beyond high school and has never worked any kind of job. He's the black sheep of the family. I visited him a few months ago and he sits on the couch in the living room watching TV while his retired mother cooks dinner and runs errands. He goes on walks in the neighborhood and goes to the mall, but that's it. He isn't mentally or physically challenged. He just never has done anything with his life.

I don't know anyone else like him. He never seems depressed though as he is well taken care of. Is this a rare thing, or do many other families have people like this?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,934 times
Every family has a black sheep, one way or the other. I think this is a rare thing. Don't want to say anything mean about such a man and get cut off; I think that his mother either spoiled him or taught/trained him, but he never listened, and she gave up. Sigh.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,701,000 times
I have a similar relative. Only, he has had one job in his almost 60 years. His sister was his boss. His parents are gone, but he inherited the house. He has never lived anywhere else. His mother had a stroke when I was young, so he didn't get waited on in my memory, but he didn't do anything to help care for her (or even himself). No one has been to the house since his parents died. I assume he lives in squalor.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 114,627 times
I am not that old. I do not have someone who cooks for me. I am the guy that does not work. It is not because of choice. It is because there are no jobs here.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 PM

155 posts, read 122,664 times
There are quite a bit of people like that out there; it's just not talked about. Rather it be some get money by inheritance and just had no need to work or what not.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:42 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,897,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX2 View Post
There are quite a bit of people like that out there; it's just not talked about. Rather it be some get money by inheritance and just had no need to work or what not.

I agree. I have known people like this. They aren't living off the dole, and if the family is willing to support them I can't really take an issue with it or even consider it my concern.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 PM

15,701 posts, read 7,511,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I have a 57 year old distant relative who has never worked. He has no education beyond high school and has never worked any kind of job. He's the black sheep of the family. I visited him a few months ago and he sits on the couch in the living room watching TV while his retired mother cooks dinner and runs errands. He goes on walks in the neighborhood and goes to the mall, but that's it. He isn't mentally or physically challenged. He just never has done anything with his life.

I don't know anyone else like him. He never seems depressed though as he is well taken care of. Is this a rare thing, or do many other families have people like this?
You just described my oldest son's future not to a T and thank God for that, however similar.

When the retired mother, passes, the 57 year old distant relative may be looking at a retirement home, state funded one, outlook bleak ... Could be he never wanted to do anything with his life and or, financially was made to do? If he's happy I see no issue.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,544,071 times
[quote=s1alker;48628375]I agree. I have known people like this. They aren't living off the dole, and if the family is willing to support them I can't really take an issue with it or even consider it my concern.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

The ones who bother me are the many on "disability", they can't work but they sure can do a lot of other activities.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:19 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,777,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I am not that old. I do not have someone who cooks for me. I am the guy that does not work. It is not because of choice. It is because there are no jobs here.
Why would you not go to somewhere you can get a job? Is that not a choice you could make?

Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 AM

6,972 posts, read 4,829,614 times
My mother is 87 and last worked a job in 1953. You should hear her on jobs today.

She doesn't understand:

1) why you can't just walk into a business, fill out a (paper) application, and start work the next day.

2) why if someone is working they can't afford a place to live.

3) why people don't stay at one job for 30 years anymore.

4) why you get fired when you call in sick, are late because of a flat tire, or attend your grandmother's funeral.

5) why you don't have a set schedule on a set number of days and have to be available for all shifts at any time.

6) why there is so much stress involved in working these days (apparently all she did was file a few papers and play with nail polish when she worked).

My dad supported her for her entire married life and now she is living off his Social Security. When she asked me what bills I was behind on and I told her, she said, "I don't know about you. I always paid my bills." Um, no, DAD always paid your bills. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment