Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:02 AM

25 posts, read 26,843 times

Advertisements

I ignore them. It's called a day off for a reason.... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
When I worked for someone else I was available during work hours which were also the hours I got paid for.
There is/was nothing so important to be pestered while I have a day off or am on vacation.
Work for me is much like the internet, once I click that little red X in the top right corner the internet does not exist and once I walked out of the office door the office did not exist.
If you don't have an important job that others rely on what you do. But for the rest of those who don't simply come into the office, grab coffee and keep the seat warm, a business does need to continue and there are others and clients who depend on your work. That is, if your work was important to begin with, not just sitting around there taking up space.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:08 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
How do you feel about this? Should work call or text you with questions on your day off? When does it cross the line if you are an hourly employee, even if you're in some type of leadership role.
It depends on the number of times contacted and for how long each event takes. If it is just a single question, and you can answer it in one minute, no one should object to that. But if it ends up taking a couple of hours each day of your vacation on a regular basis, then they need to provide a backup for when you aren't there. If it is a very small business and a start-up, then you have to expect this regardless. Many key people in start-ups don't take vacation for a couple of years until things get going.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Out of office response works wonders.

When it's play time it's not work time. Period.

My one employer made it clear...Off the clock is your business. He expected folks to abide by that when he was off the clock too.

Say yes to a private life,that's how you manage work interceding with other priorities.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
It's a reality of many jobs in today's world. Unless you're pretty much an assembly line worker, you're going to get calls. Few organizations are staffed well enough to cover when someone is out. The real question is whether they are calling for important things that can't wait or calling over trivia. In 37 years I've never held a job that didn't have some level of phone calls after hours. The ones that actually mattered never bothered me. What frustrated me were the calls from bosses who couldn't handle even simple things like saving a document in Word. Or having to walk them through changing a font in PowerPoint. (I've had some great bosses, but I've had some real losers too.)

Old 07-01-2017, 06:33 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
How do you feel about this? Should work call or text you with questions on your day off? When does it cross the line if you are an hourly employee, even if you're in some type of leadership role.
For me it happens nearly every day and I don't have a problem with it. I'd rather know what's going on then be kept in the dark.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As a manager I expect to be contacted sometimes when off, but it's rare, and would have to be extreme circumstances. This weekend, for example, I have one person that I approved for Monday and Wednesday off, but he wasn't sure yet that he would take the trip. He is supposed to text e I he does go so I know whether to expect him Monday or not.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:28 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Wink When after hours calls are billable time, somehow they drop off in frequency

Are you salaried or hourly?

When I was an hourly contractor, I was happy to get a phone call on my day off; just answering the phone guaranteed a minimum of 1.5 hours billable, usually at overtime rates

Old 07-01-2017, 10:51 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
I had it happen on rare occasions. Thankfully I am not in a leadership position anymore and don't get irritating calls also.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
If it is something I can handle easily, I take care of it right then.

If it is more involved, I let them know I'll handle it when I get back in the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment