Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:06 PM

507 posts, read 458,851 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about this? Should work call or text you with questions on your day off? When does it cross the line if you are an hourly employee, even if you're in some type of leadership role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Meh, that's life. My boss texted me today and it was BOTH our days off.

Sometimes you need to communicate with coworkers off hours to share information that will get the job done and help your team stay competitive. It's 2017.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,072 times
Turn off your phone or even better you can set your phone rings to a different ring for your job so you know that it's them and just not answer.Your off day is your day to relax,do whatever you want and unless it's a dire emergency,they shouldn't be calling you.Maybe they should better train their other employees so things like that doesn't happen.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I'm fine with it. When I go on vacation, I tell my boss to text me to let me know if I need to check my email - much easier for me to log in and spend a few minutes responding to an email rather than someone who doesn't really understand what is going on to try to deal with it only to leave me a mess that takes far longer than a few minutes to clean up when I get back to work.

If I was on a cruise or traveling in a remote area, that might be different, but if I have easy access to texts and emails, I have no problem with it. I have a lot of flexibility at work in terms of my schedule, and I have no problem reciprocating when appropriate. If I were hourly and had to be glued to my desk for certain hours, I'm sure I might have a different opinion.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
When I worked for someone else I was available during work hours which were also the hours I got paid for.
There is/was nothing so important to be pestered while I have a day off or am on vacation.
Work for me is much like the internet, once I click that little red X in the top right corner the internet does not exist and once I walked out of the office door the office did not exist.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 PM

115 posts, read 96,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
How do you feel about this? Should work call or text you with questions on your day off? When does it cross the line if you are an hourly employee, even if you're in some type of leadership role.
I don't think they should, unless the matter is vital. If they do call, they should apologize for bothering you on your time away from the office before they get down to the reason for the call.

Most of us get things in order, leave notes or instructions for when we're out of the office. We're all grownups in the working world, so our coworkers should know how to cover effectively in our absence.

You should screen your calls and let it go to voice mail. Get back to them if you can be helpful with something and then make a note to self that next time you'll tell them you'll be out of town on your time off. That may or may not be true be we're entitled to privacy. They don't need to know your comings and goings outside of work.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,689 times
Just don't pick up the phone and ignore it
Simple

Old 06-30-2017, 10:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,435 times
I have a pretty high level position, but I don't have a deputy I can officially hand things off to when I'm out sick or on vacation. I'm pretty much on call 24/7. I don't have "days off" as much as I have days I'm simply not present in the office . . . but still taking calls and monitoring email. It can get a little exhausting, but if they're calling me, it's for something important. So I answer.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
I get calls all the time from work on my days off, and I don't mind at all. I also occasionally phone up another employee who is off to ask them something. It only takes a minute and none of us mind.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
This happens to me about 3-8 times a month. I am not sure how this place could function if they couldn't contact us off work hours. It was fine because it was generally somewhat important...well until we got a new Boss who felt entitled to waste my time.

Complained enough and I am shocked. She was let go. I was starting to look for another job. Contacted me off time via email to make a false accusation. NO way would I let that go. So I went to her boss. This is just the tip of the iceburg. Now job is back to normal again.

This job is giving me a 50 hr weekend straight thru, after an 18.5 hr shift a few days ago. I like the overitme which comes once in a while Good medical/dental benefits.

If they are polite in contacting me off work hours, I don't mind much. Sometimes I contact other co-workers off work hours too but try not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment