Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

If rejected for unemployment, definitely appeal! They will then look at company policy and how it has been applied in the past, the one in our state (KS) does a pretty good job. The reputation of the employer will come into play also.

Theft? Is there a police report on this?

If money is an issue, check to see if there might be any free assistance available.

Would make a good media story though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If rejected for unemployment, definitely appeal! They will then look at company policy and how it has been applied in the past, the one in our state (KS) does a pretty good job. The reputation of the employer will come into play also.

Theft? Is there a police report on this?

If money is an issue, check to see if there might be any free assistance available.

Would make a good media story though.
What about that would make a good media story? There is no way to twist any of those facts to anything other than she was wrong in taking an item before checkout time, be it a bag of apples or a bag of diamonds.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
OP, your mom's job is to restock snacks in the rooms. You say that she helps out the housekeepers by helping to clean the rooms- is she authorized to do that by management? Does this hotel not have enough housekeepers/maids to handle the rooms? If she is not authorized by management to clean rooms, she should not be removing property from any room regardless of whether it appears empty or not.

I though that housekeepers were given a list of what rooms were being vacated that day and that the rooms would be cleaned after check out time. Since it was close to check out time but not exactly check out time, the guest might have returned for their apples only to find them gone.

Is there a hotel policy about what happens to items left behind? If the proper procedure is to notify
security/take the item to the lost and found, it would seem that your mother violated that policy.
Why would she put the apples in the storage room and not take them to lost and found immediately or call a supervisor to ask what to do (leave her floor to bring the item to security/ have someone else come up and take the item down, etc.). Going by appearances, it looks like your mother violated hotel policy.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Carnival day,

Yes. she was wrong and didn't follow policy. That doesn't mean it's not an unfortunate situation. And it doesn't mean that for some -- perhaps not you -- that they can't sympathize and empathize with her. People who realize:
-- they themselves are not perfect
-- they have not followed some policy at some time or another
-- that they have let their guard down at work on a given day
-- they the have not always followed the 'letter' of a rule
-- they themselves have 'not been thinking' at one time or another and just didn't follow protocol

For those people -- and perhaps others......the mom could be (not is, but COULD be) a sympathetic figure.
You think their empathy is misplaced? If so that's your right. Clearly others might disagree. Thus, it COULD be seen as a case that's unfortunate enough that someone might help her.

She only needs ONE person in a TV station's ENTIRE VIEWING AREA to help her, or offer her a gig. I don't know why people don't think that in an entire station's viewing area there wouldn't be ONE person to help her. She needs ONE, out of tens of thousands of people to reach out......that's not that hard to achieve.

Granted, before that, a news editor or news producer would have to think THEY ALSO could get some mileage out of it and that the need of this woman would appeal to viewers. But once the story would make it to air. Oh trust me. She'd get job offers.

I bet many of us see news stories every night on the news and ask, "Why is this a news story?" Trust me again. The media can make any thing they want into a news story.

Play up the 15-year employee, with recognition awards.....play up the single mom (if she is) angle, play up anything else like: recently lost her husband, bouncing back after cancer, whatever you've got in her favor......play up the difficulty of the jobs search at age 57....AND throw in (as a subtle aside of course) that they replaced her and hired someone else for less money....oh please, I can hear the phones ringing with offers already

Quote:
Going by appearances, it looks like your mother violated hotel policy.
Yes she did. But that is also why some people might identify with her. Because, as I said, they also have at some point in their life not followed every. single work. policy. to. the. letter. So perhaps they realize they to technically could have been fired for something they did along the way. But they weren't...thank the universe. And because I would imagine we all know, not all policies have the same weight, and not all discipline is meted fairly to different people for not following the same policy. So that's a possible sympathy angle there also.

Last edited by selhars; 07-10-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-10-2017, 11:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheDog View Post
You can hypothosize all you want into questioning the OP's Moms character but most of us, when commenting on the OP in any forum, will give the benefit of the doubt. Meaning we go off of the facts provided, not our imaginations
I whole heartily agree and do my best to my best to follow that practice.

It's a given, any situation posted is only coming from one side. What is maddening when posters intent is poking holes in the story and never addressing, much less answering, the actual questions asked.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 AM

95 posts, read 73,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Right, the 'facts' provided by ONE side of the equation, not the other side.

It's like that with EVERY thread. You don't let your imagination run wild then give advice upon that. You base your info off of what you have. Asking questions helps you have more information.

The fact is, apples were put into a storage closet when the folks from the room departed. This is not unimaginable. Yet they decided NOT TO depart, only appear as such because they came back and because the apples were in an area where we might expect them to be, they were found.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
So if you were robbed, and the police recovered the items, it's no big deal since you got your stuff back?

If she worked there that long, she should have been clear about the rules and how to CYA

She wasn't "moving" an item, she "took" the items, items that did not belong to her or her workplace. If it was her moving the apples outside the room so she could clean, then her moving it back in after she was done, it would have been different. But this was not her "moving" them while carrying out her job

the hotel should have a better way to "hold" items, IE if she saw it was left in room, she can pick up phone, and call the lobby and say guests in room # left X, please send someone to pick it up, or I'll bring it down when I can. This lets lobby know there are lost items and guests go there for general information anyhow so they can let them know

The most she can argue is that it was not "theft" because there was not "intent" behind it, but it's a flimsy argument and if management didn't buy it, they are in their right to fire her
The items were on the premesis in an area you would expect them to be. A storage closet.

This is the reason they were found. You cannot turn over the contents of an entire motel seeking a bag of apples, maybe half eaten at that.

Had it have been someone's purse placed in a storage closet. I'd have fired her. Purses do not belong in storage closets. That is a recipe for thievery and it's a DELIBERATE place no one would look for that persons purse.

Rooms are cleaned and even re-rented out prior to checkout sometimes. You may think you pay until the checkout time but grab everything you own except crap people often leave behind and more likley than not you'll never see that stuff again. I tried to go back for some asprin once, they said they didn't know about it. Not surprising, I thought I'd try. Of course it's likely in their trash somewhere.

Luckily it's not real difficult to get a job in a motel

Old 07-10-2017, 12:19 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Did She deserve to be written up
Yes!
Did she deserve to fired
Hell No!
Unless there more to this story that the O.P. Is not telling us like, She been warned before about the same thing, or her work performance is not up to par, there was no reason to fire her.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I whole heartily agree and do my best to my best to follow that practice.

It's a given, any situation posted is only coming from one side. What is maddening when posters intent is poking holes in the story and never addressing, much less answering, the actual questions asked.
I know. It's as if they've had a bad day and only want to argue.

Because it was also stated they are going to re-hire for this position at $5 less per hour than what she makes on average, that told me what likely occured. She was going to be fired anyhow. And putting thievery down also saves them money since unemployment rates are partially based upon how many employees have used the system. All signs point to one thing imho, they weren't planning on keeping her on anyhow.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:23 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
^^ That COULD just be a side issue, with no causation at all. I'd have to know more about their HR, hiring and management operation to say they used this as an excuse to fire her. Is the manager who made the "terminate" decision even the same person who decides who gets paid what? Is that the same person who does the hiring?

Of course people may believe that's what was done and why. I'm just saying I can't make that leap, because I don't think I know enough about those other factors. Actually it's not even -- not knowing enough about those other factors. We don't know ANYthing about those factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment