Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times

Advertisements

When I got my offer from my current company I had a trip that had been planned a year prior that was to take place just after my 90-day probationary period was over, but before any PTO had been earned.

When I received the offer I told them immediately that the only caveat was that I already had a trip planned that could not be refunded, and so I would still like to take the trip, which was scheduled before I had even applied to the position.

They said that was no problem, but a portion of the trip would be unpaid since I would only have 1-2 days of PTO saved by that time. I asked that the vacation approval be written into my official offer letter, to which they agreed.

Congrats on the offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I'd consider it a fortunate escape if a company retracted an offer because I had an already planned vacation and a life outside of work. I consider flexibility and an employer who supports a work/life balance essential and would not want to work someplace that didn't respect that.

My direct manager and I discuss time off and try to make sure we don't overlap much as we cover for each other as needed. But other than that, my schedule is within my control, even on a daily level, I can come and go as I need when I have other calls on my time, as a mom and as the daughter of an elderly parent.
I work in niche area with decent amount of competition. I know that when a new hire starts there is a testing or observation phase that managers use to evaluate things. Usually I don't want to come out asking for certain favors or demands during that period. Once I am well settled and have proven myself, I have worked months not even showing up in office and working remote. So it all depends on your situation.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Being upfront about it means doing that when you get the job offer, OP didn't do that.
My understanding was that he hasn't accepted the offer so it's still in the negotiation stage. Fair game.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,612 times
I'd say reschedule your vacay to next year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment