Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
It might be making them income NOW, but youtube revenue is extremely unstable as a source of income, all it takes is one hacker destroying your account and trashing your contents, or youtube changing something, or someone filing copyrights infrongement against you, or any one of a bunch of things and say bye bye to your account AND revenue.
So, basically like any other job. Takes just one market downturn, screwed up product, a**hole manager, etc and you are without a job and income.

At least with the Youtube and other self employment, the energy and time you funnel into it you keep and reap the awards, not some other person)s) that will just toss you into the garbage when done with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,411 times
Yes, god knows i wouldn't be able to film myself talking and put it out there for people to watch nor would i be entertaining, no one would tune in to watch me. so in a way they have a skill that others do not posses.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
It's "real enough". The IRS certainly won't buy any excuses that "it's not a real job" if you're not reporting such income, and worse yet, not paying if you owe them.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I found an excellent youtuber from Mexico
and I hope to find others like him, his name is "Luisito Comunica"

He travels around the World and does an amazing job showing, exposing and explaining things about the places that he goes to.

He sure deserves the money that he makes.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Do you consider YouTubers that make good money as valid of a job as any other?
Its non of my business. Opinions are worthless.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
Valid enough when they become big enough. Editing alone takes some time.
But its sad that all you have to do is be an idiot and get fairly big.
Wonder if they realize that the majority of their followers are children or adults with childrens minds.
6 percent is a rare than you think.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Well, lots of people like to joke how they should "get a real job". I envy them a lot. I wish I had the skillz and personality needed to make a living off just playing video games and making reaction videos lol.

One thing though, at least that's one area women can't say women are having a wage gap considering ad revenue based off of views and subscribers can't be sexist lol.
Not true. There could be cultural /gender /racial bias in who people choose to follow. For instance, some people would never follow a female gamer. Some people might not follow a Black vegan. There is an interracial couple that does travel advice and they get all kinds of hate comments.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
I am talking for those that have hundreds of thousands if not millions of subscribers and make good money off of ad revenue for making videos.<>
As valid as any entertainer or pro sports figure.
"Favorite YouTuber = Farmgirl"

Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM

810 posts, read 667,363 times
There's a teenage girl from Canada who made videos strumming a guitar. She's very pretty and realized that showing some boobage = tons of views. Well, she does a lot more photos now and business is booming. With millions of subscribers she earns over $2,000 a day in ad revenue. She won't be a teenager forever, however, and dunno how long she'll be able to ride the wave.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM

581 posts, read 456,264 times
I'd consider it a legit job, but I don't think there's many long-term prospects. I'd imagine you'd need a crazy number of subscribers to make any real money and social media is fickle. People have short attention spans and quickly move on to the newer, younger, hotter thing. You don't see many 45 year-olds killing it off makeup tutorials and life hacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment