Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No.

I bet some of the same people that say yes, would than sneer at people who work in strip clubs or at the Bunny Ranch in Nevada as not being real workers. Or even panhandlers.
Why do you say 'No'. They provide a service. People who demand the service pay for it, either by watching ads, or tipping through third-part services like Patreon.

That sounds like basic capitalist economics to me.

Does my lawn guy not have a real job? He comes and cuts my lawn. That appreciate his effort and the result. I pay him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
It's an artform, like painting or acting or writing. If you're good at it, you can make a lot of money. If you're not so good, you might consider a day job.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Yes.

People who are able to hack it on YouTube should be fine if YouTube closes up shop or if they inexplicably lose a large percentage of their viewers. Why? Because they've already shown that they have the cojones to get into something without waiting around to get a degree or to have a teacher tell them what to do. This is fairly new territory, so those who are succeeding figured it out mostly on their own. Yes, they might have had some mentors along the way, but they're entrepreneurs, for sure. People with an entrepreneurial spirit will be able to think up some other way to make money should they lose their main gig. Hopefully they know to diversify their income streams a bit, so they're not floundering while the figure out what they're going to do next. I know I made that mistake early in my career (I'm not a YouTuber, but I am an entrepreneur). That's largely a matter of living and learning, though.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Oh, and I have no problem saying that strippers have real jobs. In a way, I feel the same way about them... they know how to hustle and they'll find a way to make money using what talents they have. Good on them, as long as they like the job or at least don't mind it too much.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
It's not your traditional office job or even a traditional physical labor job as we know it, but it's how they make money! What do they tell people their job is? Being a YouTuber? It sounds juvenile, but it works for them. There are so many unconventional jobs in this country that we don't even know about.

It certainly takes work. I suppose it's like filming a TV show or movie. Lots of takes, doing the same thing hundreds of time until it looks good, then lots of time editing, finding the right music or song to fit the scene, finding the right place to insert text or music, etc. It's not easy.

YouTubers are like pop singers. They have a short shelf like. The most popular ones are in their 20s. Will they still have the same number of views when they hit 30 and beyond?

Last edited by sas318; 07-19-2017 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 04:34 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I believe it is considered a a job because once they get more subscribers and are making money....they are basically providing a service. Fans want videos, quality videos. It takes time such as getting material together and lots of editing.
Yes, this. Their job is to provide a service.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
It's not event he bigger youtube stars making money. A lot of youtubers make money. Doesn't take a huge channel to do it.
Some of these people can quit their jobs at 50k subscribers. 50k a year is fairly easy to make if you are willing to put time in.
A lot of the people I follow on smaller automotive channels make 10-20k a month on their channels. Then there's patreon. Some people are making thousands a month on that platform in addition to the youtube revenue. It's absolutely a job.
I'd be willing to bet most youtubers put in more work per day than your average worker as well. Many of them even work 7 days a week.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:12 PM

529 posts, read 508,211 times
Still don't think you can call it a job outright given a 6 year old could be a "Youuber".
TBH, I felt nd the whole idea gross because it's basically a circle jerk of "watch me" that highlights how embedded current socioeconomics is to advertising. Also, I feel like I could be a YouTuber if I actually took the time to record and post videoe, but ai just don't care. I find the idea of catering to viewers too much like prostituting myself and just all a ound stupid. Shame in my twenties this wasn't so much a thing and later I was depressed and some other stuff, or I probably would have started some lame ass channel and have a few 10k subcribers.

I mean, I could still do it, but what's the point? Some extra money as a trade off for my time and dignit? No thanks.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:17 PM

135 posts, read 94,563 times
It will be interesting to see if today's stars age out of a job.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:21 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
I'd say it's less a job and more a business venture. For those willing to invest the time and effort into deferred revenue streams (i.e. royalties from YouTube) it's an investment that may or may not pay off. No different than an author of a book....or possibly like a person that plants an orchard that won't bear fruit for years.

They can choose to be employed by their venture, or they could collect the production equipment/knowledge and choose to employ others to create content. It's a new medium that they were able to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment