Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM

285 posts, read 225,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Document, go to supervisor, then HR.
Sure, if you don't mind losing your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:38 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Document, go to supervisor, then HR.
might as well document when they go to restroom as well...

gossiping isn't illegal nor against "policy"

Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
I have been told by a number of people that two different people who work with me are gossiping about me. They are making up lies to destroy my reputation in the office and make me look bad to both senior managers and coworkers. Why are they doing this? Because a group of us are all trying to get a promotion and more interesting assignments. So if I look bad, maybe I won't get the promotion, and they have less competition.What should I do?
All you can do is make sure that they spell your name right if they happen to send emails or texts or even write things with your name on it. People are going to talk about you for the remainder of your life.

I have found that most people that bring others down are worried that those other people are more qualified then they are. Never really liked it myself. I don't give a lot of face value to those that build themselves up by bringing others down.

The sad thing in some organizations that is may be hard to see the accomplishments that you or anyone else has made in the organization. It is possible for some to muddy the waters so to speak. Since you are aware of it you may want to make waves of your own. If you can arrange a sit down with your boss, manager, director, or who ever is offering the promotion, and let them see all the accomplishments that you have made. Time to toot your own horn.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Listen to it. See if it just might be true of you. If so, do something about it. If not, your behavior and attitude will discount the credibility of these falsehoods and there is no reason to take any other action.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
It depends on what the gossip is. I have had this happen to me twice (that I know of). Both times I called the person gossiping onto the carpet in front of my boss.

The first time I had a coworker complaining that I was being mean, excluding her and not working. So I asked her to sit down with my boss mediating to work out our issues. After we talked it was clear to her (and my boss) that it was all in her head.

The second time I had a coworker say I was lying on my time card. I pulled her in with my boss and discussed it in front of my boss with all my documentation to show she was not being truthful.

In both cases I was respected by my coworkers and my boss and didn't want to have the gossip go any further and ruin my reputation.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM

285 posts, read 225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It depends on what the gossip is. I have had this happen to me twice (that I know of). Both times I called the person gossiping onto the carpet in front of my boss.

The first time I had a coworker complaining that I was being mean, excluding her and not working. So I asked her to sit down with my boss mediating to work out our issues. After we talked it was clear to her (and my boss) that it was all in her head.

The second time I had a coworker say I was lying on my time card. I pulled her in with my boss and discussed it in front of my boss with all my documentation to show she was not being truthful.

In both cases I was respected by my coworkers and my boss and didn't want to have the gossip go any further and ruin my reputation.
I wouldn't have gone to the boss and given them any attention. If your boss is competent, he will judge you by your work product. Petty coworkers can go to hell for all I care. I'm there to do a job and get paid for it, not be liked or popular, so I don't really care about gossip and rumors. I just shut up and do my job.

Last edited by Old Sol; 07-19-2017 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 09:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I wouldn't have gone to the boss and given them any attention. If your boss is competent, he will judge you by your work product. Petty coworkers can go to hell for all I care. I'm there to do a job and get paid for it, not be liked or popular, so I don't really care about gossip and rumors. I just shut up and do my job.
For me it was the right choice. In the first scenario the coworker was making an uncomfortable working environment for me. The second, my boss was incompetent.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Focus on actual accomplishment & deliverables. Put points on the board and ignore the whispers. Just get results and the rest will fall into line.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Yes,because ignoring issues really resolves them! (Not!).

When the comments boarder on libel or defamation,yes you can hire an attorney.

Yes companies have rules in place for fair treatment,which limits undermining staff.

My boss is currently dealing with staff walking because she chooses to undermine them . Her demeaning them is hurting the business...Staff doesn't want to work under her. I myself have had to get legal advice..To aide on her defamation of character in the workplace. Seems her professional position comes with repercussions. She is in for a world of hurt next time as hr is starting to see with this recent mass exodus that maybe the peons have a legitimate concern about this manager.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
If you have a desk, get some cute sayings on your wall, like "gossiping kills productivity", "rumours are Fake News".

I would ask for a sit down with the boss. Ask boss if your work is up to par, ask if there are any places you can improve. Casually discuss the atmosphere , regarding this job posting, and let boss know that you are hearing so much rumors, that it is embarrassing and could create hostility. Do not call anyone out, try to see if can do anything to control the environment.

What many people don't realize, there could be an outside hire if too many people are talking smack. I have seen it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment