Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 AM

17 posts, read 22,140 times

Advertisements

I have been told by a number of people that two different people who work with me are gossiping about me. They are making up lies to destroy my reputation in the office and make me look bad to both senior managers and coworkers. Why are they doing this? Because a group of us are all trying to get a promotion and more interesting assignments. So if I look bad, maybe I won't get the promotion, and they have less competition.What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 04:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
You can't really do much. Make your superiors know there's a few people that are jealous of you so not to be surprised if they hear any rumors. Remember, these losers at work are not your friends. Don't talk to them as it will just make matters worse. There is a difference between acquaintances and friends. Hope you know and understand the difference.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 AM

285 posts, read 225,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You can't really do much. Make your superiors know there's a few people that are jealous of you so not to be surprised if they hear any rumors. Remember, these losers at work are not your friends. Don't talk to them as it will just make matters worse. There is a difference between acquaintances and friends. Hope you know and understand the difference.
I think of coworkers as "random people I share an office with."

Old 07-19-2017, 04:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
This is a tough one. Supervisors really don't want to be drawn into the drama. So approaching them might put a target on your back...even though you would be trying to clear up lies perpetrated by jealous co-workers.

I feel like if they are saying something about the job that you do perhaps discuss that with your supervisor. Approach it by saying a few co-workers have called your attention to this....so that it is less a she said/he said type situation.

Otherwise, if it were me and several people had told me what you said that your co-workers have told you....I'd go right to the source.

In fact, if you do want to address this with your supervisor....I'd call a mediation meeting with the culprits and your higher ups....and confront the situation head on.

Or, Maybe you should go to the HR and see if they can hold a meeting between yourself and these culprits, before approaching your supervisor.

If it is work related, it is important to dispel these rumors in the most professional way that you can. It will win you points I believe....and it will put the spotlight on the co-workers who are behaving so badly.

Here are a few links with some tips and advice: Judging by the amount of links this must be a common work related problem. Several more links are available. In case you want more links I searched using this sentence: "How to confront co-workers who are sabotaging you professionally"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/work-in.../#83400ba5f766

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...aging-coworker

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ally&FORM=VDRE

I hope you get this resolved and I hope that you update this thread as you do. Good luck

Old 07-19-2017, 04:55 AM

10 posts, read 9,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Spots View Post
I have been told by a number of people that two different people who work with me are gossiping about me. They are making up lies to destroy my reputation in the office and make me look bad to both senior managers and coworkers. Why are they doing this? Because a group of us are all trying to get a promotion and more interesting assignments. So if I look bad, maybe I won't get the promotion, and they have less competition.What should I do?
If the gossiper is causing a damage to your reputation and if you don’t expect him to stop soon then call him when are calm. Tell him that you are aware of his doings and that only those who are scared to face one another directly gossip. Most people will apologise and remember your call the next time they decide to gossip about you. Make sure not to threaten them because threatening will stimulate their anger and this stored anger will be released through more gossiping.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
people aren't blind... if your work ethic and quality of your work can't speak for itself, you have more problems to worry about than gossip

Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 AM

17 posts, read 22,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
people aren't blind... if your work ethic and quality of your work can't speak for itself, you have more problems to worry about than gossip
That is an interesting comment. So you think the average manager is going to believe the best about other people and won't accept gossip and make up their own opinion about us. The average person is logical and fair. Interesting perspective.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 AM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I would bring the exact nature of the complaints to the supervisors in question, and without naming names, spell out why the gossip isn't true.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
The C-D nemesis "Retired Now" has returned with another bogus issue. Don't feed him people.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 AM

337 posts, read 276,502 times
Years ago I worked at a site where a few women I worked with, I knew were gossiping and bad mouthing me. I confirmed it (but didn't say anything) as I waked by 1 of their desks to put something down and saw an email sent between people about me (yes I looked as I glanced when I saw my name). It was very noticeable how poorly many of my coworkers treated me. I could explain why I think that is, but people here will probably think I'm flattering myself or just not believe me. My boss called me in once (I never went to her about this) and said that she has noticed how I get treated, but that it isn't her job to tell people to be nice to me (those were her words....). As it so happened months down the road, I realized my boss was in on it too.... I could never prove any of this. It was the only work environment that I've ever had where I could say it was toxic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment