Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:10 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,831,405 times

Advertisements

Sure, some of those guys/gals are really skilled. But I think a lot of people don't realize a big part of the reason some of them make 150-200K a year is because of the high cost of living there. The vast majority of them make 110-125K a year from what I've read.

If that same person got a job in Bangladesh, they aren't going to get paid SV salaries, they are going to get Bangladesh salaries due to the lower cost of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,519,017 times
Same reason people don't understand pensions are tied to employers, half of the people on cd seem to want a pension and the same half have no problems job hopping

Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 10,243 times
Pretty sure they do know. They're not that stupid.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,725,757 times
I think people get it. To attract talent to a place with high housing costs is going to require high salaries and potential for higher salaries.

The real trick is to work for a company based out of there while living somewhere else - it's possible to negotiate pay a bit better than what the going rate is in your neck of the woods, much of the time.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:19 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,300,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sure, some of those guys/gals are really skilled. But I think a lot of people don't realize a big part of the reason some of them make 150-200K a year is because of the high cost of living there. The vast majority of them make 110-125K a year from what I've read.

If that same person got a job in Bangladesh, they aren't going to get paid SV salaries, they are going to get Bangladesh salaries due to the lower cost of living there.
I think most people get it, it's similar to any place with a high cost of living, just like garbage men, with high school diplomas or less, making over $100k in NYC.

The $100,000 job: Garbage workers

Molina made $112,000 last year as a garbage truck driver and Sankar made $100,000 as a helper, riding on the back of the truck. Their wages have grown in eight of the last nine years, according to their bosses, brothers David and Jerry Antonacci, owners of Crown Container, a waste management company.

Nationwide, the annual salary for a garbage truck driver is $40,000, according to the Labor Department. Across all professions, high school dropouts earn about $24,000, while high school graduates make $30,000 annually, according to the U.S. Education Department.

Molina and Sankar are aware that they outearn many people with a college degree.

Guys who go to college might not make the kind of money "(I make) on the back of a garbage truck, picking up trash," says Sankar.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think most people get it, it's similar to any place with a high cost of living, just like garbage men, with high school diplomas or less, making over $100k in NYC.

The $100,000 job: Garbage workers

Molina made $112,000 last year as a garbage truck driver and Sankar made $100,000 as a helper, riding on the back of the truck. Their wages have grown in eight of the last nine years, according to their bosses, brothers David and Jerry Antonacci, owners of Crown Container, a waste management company.

Nationwide, the annual salary for a garbage truck driver is $40,000, according to the Labor Department. Across all professions, high school dropouts earn about $24,000, while high school graduates make $30,000 annually, according to the U.S. Education Department.

Molina and Sankar are aware that they outearn many people with a college degree.

Guys who go to college might not make the kind of money "(I make) on the back of a garbage truck, picking up trash," says Sankar.
That actually has more to do with Unions (mafia) than location, especially if people with a degree there don't make that much in many cases...

Old 07-19-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
I think people get it. To attract talent to a place with high housing costs is going to require high salaries and potential for higher salaries.

The real trick is to work for a company based out of there while living somewhere else - it's possible to negotiate pay a bit better than what the going rate is in your neck of the woods, much of the time.
Exactly! Here in Seattle you can make as much as the majority of the Engineers in SV but with a cost of living that is a fraction of that area. Even better if you work a remote job like me and could live in some small town where you can buy a house for 75K.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 AM

34,987 posts, read 31,154,353 times
The very tip-top jobs in certain fields are consolidated in one, maybe a few, areas because that's where the infrastructure and talent pool are.

Stanford is right in SV's backyard. So is Cal Berkeley. Both of these are fantastic schools, and people go to these schools not only because of their excellent programs, but also for the physical proximity to premiere employers and networking opportunities.

With all these brilliant people in close proximity, existing companies want to keep their highest end operations there because that's where the talent is. The talent wants to be where the premiere employers are. New businesses will spring up and hire from these schools and poach experienced talent from existing companies. This process feeds on itself in a virtuous cycle.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,836,752 times
Same kinds of people don't realize those jobs are AVAILABLE because its very hard to find a place worth living in near there.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:08 PM

23,451 posts, read 23,898,302 times
Most are aware of it. I've worked in the "Valley" for years and known many who have left the area, for lower compensation packages/salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment