Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Yup this seems to be trend now:

1) Entry level is now 2-5 years of previous experience

2) Salary is going to be around 10-14$

3)Most likely it is temp or pier diem position

4) Oh you have been unemployed for X months.... yeah where going to take a pass

So yea... assuming you are a job seeker without an in-demand degree or connections this is what you are facing today.
The 2 current openings I have for "entry level" require 2-3 years experience, starting pay is $24-30/hour, with great benefits, and they are permanent full-time. Of the couple of dozen applicants so far only 6 meet the minimum requirements, and of those 4 look well qualified by their resumes. As long as we are getting people with experience there is no reason to reduce the requirements. It has been hard to fill a job for a few years after the economy became so much better, but now with improved confidence the better, more experienced workers are starting to move around for better pay/security/benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:18 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
Seriously, how bright do you have to be to run up $75,000 in student loans to get a degree in history or psychology anyway?
Pretty dumb, unless you are going to Med School afterwards.

The big lie employers are using is that they can't find qualified applicants in the US, so that they can offshore jobs overseas, at low wages.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Assuming the jobs are applicable, you have full time work post college on top of your resume. That will count more. The problem with so many fresh out of college resumes, they have nothing on them but college. There's nothing to differentiate one from the other.
GPA? Honors? Recommendations?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The 2 current openings I have for "entry level" require 2-3 years experience, starting pay is $24-30/hour, with great benefits, and they are permanent full-time. Of the couple of dozen applicants so far only 6 meet the minimum requirements, and of those 4 look well qualified by their resumes. As long as we are getting people with experience there is no reason to reduce the requirements. It has been hard to fill a job for a few years after the economy became so much better, but now with improved confidence the better, more experienced workers are starting to move around for better pay/security/benefits.
I am curious what background/degree wise are you looking for those 2 spots? Is it something general (Liberal arts, clerical etc...) or is it something more specialized?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I am curious what background/degree wise are you looking for those 2 spots? Is it something general (Liberal arts, clerical etc...) or is it something more specialized?
The required experience is in commercial real estate, no degree required, but preferred is Associates degree in business. All of the applicants this time do have degrees, and the current people in these positions have:

BA economics
MBA
BA in Political Science
BA Marketing
BA Psychology

Old 10-04-2017, 07:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The required experience is in commercial real estate, no degree required, but preferred is Associates degree in business. All of the applicants this time do have degrees, and the current people in these positions have:

BA economics
MBA
BA in Political Science
BA Marketing
BA Psychology
24-30/h for 3 years experience+degree+commercial RE exp (former RE agents?) + high COL (Seattle?).

Hmmm... I'm not sure it's enough.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:06 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
24-30/h for 3 years experience+degree+commercial RE exp (former RE agents?) + high COL (Seattle?).

Hmmm... I'm not sure it's enough.
The middle of that range is around $56k/yr. For entry level. I’d take that if I were starting out.

The experience part is a little counter intuitive since this is entry level.

But even for a high COL, I think that is a good starting salary. Keep in mind, wages tend to go up with experience and skills. If you’re starting at $56k early in your career, it’s not unreasonable that you’ll be making double that at the midpoint of your career. The $56k is not the end all, be all. It’s just the beginning.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
The middle of that range is around $56k/yr. For entry level. I’d take that if I were starting out.

But even for a high COL, I think that is a good starting salary. Keep in mind, wages tend to go up with experience and skills. If you’re starting at $56k early in your career, it’s not unreasonable that you’ll be making double that at the midpoint of your career. The $56k is not the end all, be all. It’s just the beginning.
As long as companies get decent applicants for entry level, they will continue to demand such experience levels.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As long as companies get decent applicants for entry level, they will continue to demand such experience levels.

Exactly, as long as companies can find suckers to work long hours for low wages nothing will change. It is not hard to fill a job in the US, it is hard for an employer to fill a job with the low pay and terrible benefits they are currently offering.

Employers are essentially whining that they can't find top talent willing to work for low pay. It is like selling a house, set the price right and you will get a buyer. If the employers would pay more they would have a line of qualified candidates to pick from.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post

3 years is not entry level. Entry level is entry level - people out of college. 3 years is more mid-level than junior. When I had 3 years experience, I was trusted to build a department from scratch and incorporate a complex IT methodology in a company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment