Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,955,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

But there should be a transparent means to communicate UNSOLICITED overtures
with a reasonable degree of confidence that it will be seen and read.
Why?

I have spam filters on my email so that I don't get too much junk mail and have an admin that sorts the mail and throws out the junk mail before it gets to me. Nobody thinks this is unusual.

If I have a large purchase to make, it goes through a solicitation and competitive bid process, ensuring wide distribution of my contracting/purchasing needs as well as a fair and level playing field for potential vendors. Contracts and large purchases are awarded on a clear, low bid criteria. Nobody complains that this is unfair.

How is an unsolicited resume any different? We are talking about an exchange of money for services. If I clearly advertise open positions (which I do), and I have a clear means of applying (which I do). I clearly advertise salary and benefits (which I do), and I follow through on my openings by hiring a person (which I do), why should I have a parallel system with transparency (not sure what this means in this context) to read unsolicited resumes which I didn't want and cannot act upon? Isn't that a pointless waste of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
This is what companies wanted, an entire society of desperate job seekers, well thats what they got. It is just now starting to get violent. Enjoy employers you are about to get everything you wanted, 500 applications for every job posting, rampant crime and drug use and a work force rapidly becoming incompetent. Remember only the superest rich amoung you have their bug out shelters in place, do you?

Most companies these days might as well just print "let them eat cake" right at the top of their web sites and buisness cards, it would be funny to learn to hack sites and put stuff like that up, because its true.
Although violent crime has ticked up a bit in the past two years, it is still at extremely low levels. It is about 1/2 of what it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Violent crime rates up for 2nd consecutive year | TheHill

While we do have problems with increasing income disparity and distribution of wealth, I haven't seen you offer any solutions. I asked you a couple of pages back how somebody like me, a relatively senior hiring manager, could change things for the better. I haven't seen a response yet. Do you have any ideas for improvement, or only hyperbolic complaints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,107,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
What is odd is that my organization keeps hiring unqualified people. I don't find my organization to be that smart so I believe they just don't know really what is necessary. It simply cracks me up. Each one of their new hires completely fail and lack judgment and they wonder why?
I think these types of people that were hired are the "Networker Types..." -- Where "It's not what you know that counts, it's who you know..." So maybe they got hired because they were good at socially networking in... -- Did see that at what happened at your workplace?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,107,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

While we do have problems with increasing income disparity and distribution of wealth, I haven't seen you offer any solutions. I asked you a couple of pages back how somebody like me, a relatively senior hiring manager, could change things for the better. I haven't seen a response yet. Do you have any ideas for improvement, or only hyperbolic complaints?
There's been a silent WAR going on where the RICH and 1% have been waging a scheme on SOCIETY to RULE THE WORLD. It's their DREAM WORLD NOW but EVERYTHING'S A NIGHTMARE, RIGHT? tHEY BASED WHAT THEY DO ON ADAM SMITH ECONOMIC THEORY, WHICH STINKS AND DON'T THEY REALIZE THAT IT'S OVER 300 YEARS OLD?

I got a NEW THEORY of THE GENERATION OF WEALTH OF NATIONS AND IT'S SO DIFFERENT FROM "ADAM ****."

Old 10-15-2017, 02:58 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,469,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think these types of people that were hired are the "Networker Types..." -- Where "It's not what you know that counts, it's who you know..." So maybe they got hired because they were good at socially networking in... -- Did see that at what happened at your workplace?
and some are the type of person who thinks knowledge is only found in books

who you know is no different than what you know in regards to information, whether you are exposed to books or people, both who/what you know is what makes you a person

Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Do you have any ideas for improvement, or only hyperbolic complaints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
There's been a silent WAR going on where the RICH and 1% have been waging a scheme on SOCIETY to RULE THE WORLD. It's their DREAM WORLD NOW but EVERYTHING'S A NIGHTMARE, RIGHT? tHEY BASED WHAT THEY DO ON ADAM SMITH ECONOMIC THEORY, WHICH STINKS AND DON'T THEY REALIZE THAT IT'S OVER 300 YEARS OLD?

I got a NEW THEORY of THE GENERATION OF WEALTH OF NATIONS AND IT'S SO DIFFERENT FROM "ADAM ****."
Looks like nothing but hyperbolic complaints.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,065,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
What is odd is that my organization keeps hiring unqualified people. I don't find my organization to be that smart so I believe they just don't know really what is necessary. It simply cracks me up. Each one of their new hires completely fail and lack judgment and they wonder why?
But yet some how they remain solvent while a lot of smart people don’t have the financial resources to properly start a buisness ....

Old 10-15-2017, 08:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,065,847 times
Quote:
Why?

I have spam filters on my email so that I don't get too much junk mail and have an admin that sorts the mail and throws out the junk mail before it gets to me. Nobody thinks this is unusual.

If I have a large purchase to make, it goes through a solicitation and competitive bid process, ensuring wide distribution of my contracting/purchasing needs as well as a fair and level playing field for potential vendors. Contracts and large purchases are awarded on a clear, low bid criteria. Nobody complains that this is unfair.

How is an unsolicited resume any different? We are talking about an exchange of money for services. If I clearly advertise open positions (which I do), and I have a clear means of applying (which I do). I clearly advertise salary and benefits (which I do), and I follow through on my openings by hiring a person (which I do), why should I have a parallel system with transparency (not sure what this means in this context) to read unsolicited resumes which I didn't want and cannot act upon? Isn't that a pointless waste of time?

Although violent crime has ticked up a bit in the past two years, it is still at extremely low levels. It is about 1/2 of what it was in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Violent crime rates up for 2nd consecutive year | TheHill

Shut down free trade completely, institute tarrifs based on a complex calculation of differential cost of living assuming a high minimum living standard for Americans. Strip corporations of intellectual property and give it back to the actual inventor/s (unless a company SPECIFICLY paid for someone to build something and there was a very specific contract did said thing). Make it treason punishable by decades in a hard prison for bringing any intellectual property off shore (unless YOU are the inventor). Remove all h1b and like programs, if a super scientist wants to come over then make them get approval from congress directly. Prohibit any foreign national or foreign company from owning real estate period (issue leases instead). Institute a 90% corporate income tax over a certain amount to compel reinvestment (either hire people and expand or be taxed to death, this is how Bell labs came to be). Give grants to smart people with really good buisness plans. Institute a basic income so people are not compelled to grovel for crap jobs to survive, MOST people want to do meaningful work they just don’t want to tolerate aborant behavior from sociopathic bosses who know they NEED the job.

I could go on

Old 10-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I asked you a couple of pages back how somebody like me, a relatively senior hiring manager, could change things for the better. I haven't seen a response yet. Do you have any ideas for improvement, or only hyperbolic complaints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Shut down free trade completely, institute tarrifs based on a complex calculation of differential cost of living assuming a high minimum living standard for Americans. Strip corporations of intellectual property and give it back to the actual inventor/s (unless a company SPECIFICLY paid for someone to build something and there was a very specific contract did said thing). Make it treason punishable by decades in a hard prison for bringing any intellectual property off shore (unless YOU are the inventor). Remove all h1b and like programs, if a super scientist wants to come over then make them get approval from congress directly. Prohibit any foreign national or foreign company from owning real estate period (issue leases instead). Institute a 90% corporate income tax over a certain amount to compel reinvestment (either hire people and expand or be taxed to death, this is how Bell labs came to be). Give grants to smart people with really good buisness plans. Institute a basic income so people are not compelled to grovel for crap jobs to survive, MOST people want to do meaningful work they just don’t want to tolerate aborant behavior from sociopathic bosses who know they NEED the job.

I could go on
Well, I don't know how things work in your head, but those things are beyond my power and authority. I am flattered though.

For the record, I am not in favor of crashing the world economy and utterly destroying the US. I think that is a bit extreme. Good luck in destroying the world though.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM

626 posts, read 620,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
No kidding. At $50K/yr there better be a very strict delineation between my work and home life unless maybe there's a significant opportunity/pay increase just around the corner. Triple that and then you start getting my attention.
That's what got me was there was also m post no delineation because I would have to work out of my house with a company vehicle, computer, and phone. So I would have been on call all the time no matter what, and that was the deal breaker for me. I can be on call no problem but if the wages are crap and the hiring manager knee the pay was crap so that's why he wanted me to commit long term to them.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 PM

626 posts, read 620,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
50K and on call 24/7??? Sounds like an exploitive employer. I wouldn't take it. You could be making $5/hr before its all said and done or worse

Yeah I didn't take it. Yeah the job was basically $50k with an added $4k a year for being on call. That's not to mention I would have to work out of my house with a company provided vehicle, computer, and phone. So there would be no difference between work and home, so I turned it down. The hiring manager knew it was crap and wanted me to commit long term to the job. Sorry if they can't offer me a decent wage then I can't commit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment