Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM

160 posts, read 163,199 times

Advertisements

Wonder why school districts and transit have a hard to recurting drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Ironically it seems like it hasn't been this hard to find a job in a long time either...But I think it's because employers are being too picky. As another poster noted, lot's of places expect an under 30 MBA from a top 20 school with 20 years of experience willing to work 80 hours a week for 50K a year...

Old 07-20-2017, 05:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Pretty much.

Now hiring: Job Title X, Need an MBA. We want someone under age 30 with 20 years' experience that we can pay $45K a year and who will be totally cool with getting 1% or 2% increases annually.
Now hiring: Job Titke Y: Need an MBA, STEM undergrad, under age 30 with 20 years' experience that we can pay $40k a year with no benefits or paid time off and will be totally cool with being at work 24 hours a day with supervised visits permitted at management discretion with an IV at your desk and a supply of diapers so you will never have to waste valuable company time eating or going to the bathroom.

Of course, first you must pass 3 skills test, have a 800 credit score, come in for 5 panel interviews, provide a free consulting session and a work sample. Every 30 days if you don't hit the targets you will be fired.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I agree with what you have said about job postings, HR, and how recruiting is handled. Job desciptions are created by the departments needing people. HR places the descriptions into a specific format and then the departments sign off on them. HR uses some kind of computer system to check the incoming resume's and applications. Those that make it thru that are sent to HR to check. Managers or Directors can request any number of applications be sent their way. In the past this has worked just fine.

Our situation is not unique to our facility. Hospitals all over Ventura County and Santa Barbara County are facing the same problem. Many other organizations that have in house facilities departments are also facing the same problem. Part of it has to do from the cost of living in the area. It is difficult to recruit from outside the area. Not too many people are willing to move here where rents for a room are closing in on $1,000 a month. Basic three bedroom 2 bath homes are selling for $500,000. What that leaves you with is local applicants.

During the past 25 years and maybe longer, the push was to get a college degree and not go into the trades so much. It seems as though we are in need of more people to fill positions of older employees that want to retire. The more we look the less we find of those that have the experience to do the jobs we want to do.
Well see, that is the problem then, you are not offering enough money. So the problem is not enough candidates, it is that your company is not offering enough money. This is like a farmer complaining there is no one available to pick blueberries for 12 hours a day, at a pay rate of 50 cents a day.

I work in Miami, and I am pretty positive we are not ever going to recruit someone from Memphis at the same pay considering Miami COL is much more. So if we need to recruit someone, we have to pay more, not pay what they are paying in lower COL areas.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
Wonder why school districts and transit have a hard to recurting drivers?
Because you can make more with a CDL almost anywhere else.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 PM

136 posts, read 146,245 times
Not sure if my answer pertains to this question, but I know when I graduated college last year in 2016 with a degree in Biology, it was impossible to find a job. Half of it was I just graduated, so its not like I have real world experience yet. The other half was me not working in college (my parents forced me to not work, so I had no job skills).

So for the part with no experience yet, I think (in my personal opinion) employers discriminate recent graduates for some reason. Even though we literally have to start somewhere so its literally like "how can we get experience when no one would hire us?," and they claim to know this, they just do this plus ***** all over us. Most of the time they don't tell you how to start. After a while I figured out why because practically every employer did. Minority of people attempted to help, or at least try to help.

Thats my guess on why jobs go unfilled. I noticed that with jobs I applied for because the date posted would say from between 2009 and 2015 and I literally thought they probably don't have people to take down the listing, but then I come to find out they still looking. Then when they ***** all over us, its obvious why. They also must feel like wasting their time. But thats not my problem though.

My guess is this is why loads of people are unemployed, or work at retail longer than they should be.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The problem when you put a job on the market looking for a qualified person.

1: Those applicants that put in resumes/applications for any job that comes on the market, and are completely not qualified to fill the job requirements. Just because the applicant thinks the job would be something they would be interested in, does not mean they have the qualifications to fill the job. This is the majority of all applications.

2: Employees, that look at mid career salaries for a position, and simply refuse to accept the fact that there is such a thing as a beginning salary, and a mid career salary. They demand that they be given what they would receive after 10 years, even though they are entering at a entry level position. They say it is the company is too cheap to pay what they are worth, when the company sees someone that has no idea of what the job is all about and will a low production worker for a considerable period of time.

3: Applicants that want Silicon Valley starting wages, and live in Casper Wyoming. They simply cannot accept the fact that the Casper Wyoming wage due to the tremendous difference in living cost between the two areas, that the Casper wages in Casper Wyoming will give the employ a higher standard of living in Casper than they would earn in the Silicon Valley due to the greater cost of living in the SV.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That's because most college degrees (especially from lower tier universities) are basically just glorified certificates of attendance. It''s possible to earn a bachelor's degree without even taking basic algebra in many cases.
In my university that is most definitely not true, everybody needs a math course to pass, and the math course is most definitely not basic algebra

Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 PM

581 posts, read 456,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the lie today's employers tell themselves. Its humorous. Offer below market wages, throw the work of 3 people onto 1, and they can't understand why they can't fill job openings. Its probably all nonsense anyways. I see more job openings going unfilled because employers just REFUSE to fill them citing "expense concerns". Then don't waste the job seeker's time.

Their idea of "difficulty filling jobs" is not being able to find educated people with a good foundation to learn and a few years of experience for the lowest rate possible

Employers are the ones to blame for jobs being hard to fill, not the people seeking them. A few decades ago, you could apply for a job on Friday and be working by Monday. Now employers have become so picky about who they hire to the point where unfilled positions are hurting their bottom line. So you can't fill your entry-level position by requiring applicants to have a master's degree and 20 years of relevant experience? Shocker...

Lol, right? Since when did becoming a data entry clerk require a double Masters in Finance and Accounting? And then they want to write articles wondering why all these kids are burdening themselves with crazy student loan debt. Maybe it's because if they don't, the best they can hope for is cleaning the toilets at McDonald's.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM

55 posts, read 45,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleamingobscenereader View Post
The other half was me not working in college (my parents forced me to not work, so I had no job skills).
That sucks that your parents forced you not to work while in school but understandable. In the past, I am sure this would have been fine, but it's a different economy now. My parents tried to do the same thing to me, but during my junior year I just started working anyway.

I regret the decision but don't. In a way, me working has caused me to take longer in finishing school, but on the other hand, I have a pretty good position now that will only help with getting a job once I graduate here shortly.

Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Where are you located and what do you do?
Located in Northern Minnesota and it's a mostly commercial cleaning company, so I guess there's no real surprise of the high turnover. I knew that already going into it, but it's just the lack of showing up for an interview that is driving me nuts.
I guess I shouldn't be expecting more. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment