Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 AM

28,629 posts, read 18,686,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Computers are really a thing!

Learn them.
LOL!

Back in 1973, my military recruiter worked hard to sell me on going into computer programming (because my ASVAB scores were 99th percentile). But the computer school was in Louisiana--a state I had no desire to go--and I had other dreams.

Then in 1983, a Lockheed rep tried to talk me into joining Lockheed as a computer programmer (when he learned I was teaching myself programming on my own PC). I had a TOP SECRET security clearance and Lockheed needed programmers with TOP SECRET security clearances. He said, "It costs us $100,000 to get a programmer cleared, but it only costs us $20,000 to teach programming to someone who already has a clearance."

But I had other dreams.

It took a few years before I learned to pay attention to people who knew more about the system than I do.

There were at least four critical times in my life that I should have taken advice and didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 AM

902 posts, read 745,365 times
What would I tell myself regarding work and/or life. Read the lyrics to Shine by Rollins Band. It's Hero time!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:24 AM

26 posts, read 28,093 times
Not early 20's, but later in my 20's: I'd tell myself not to leave my career to pursue a PhD. I am now in a different career from what my PhD is in because I found I wanted nothing to do with academia after all. My new career is fine and pays better than my old career did, but my old career would give me what I really want at this stage of my life, which is better work-life balance, and I would also be six years closer to retirement than I am now.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 AM

6,935 posts, read 7,013,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
4. The salary is everything. The more you make, the more you can invest for retirement, and the sooner you can stop working.
That is generally not true. Unfortunately, most of us won't be able to retire without health insurance. That means that, regardless of money saved, currently, most of us won't be able to retire until 65 at the absolute earliest. Unfortunately, that age will likely increase in the near future, if Medicare even exists at all. That is why I think that people need to try to enjoy their life as much as possible during their working years, since retirement might never come, no matter how much money you saved. Many people live healthy lifestyles, but get unlucky, and die young anyway from cancer or from a car accident.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,473,801 times
Do NOT eat the Nachos at the Christmas party in 2009!

Serious answer though, to meet as many people as you can and stay in touch with as many as you can. The world (as much as I hate it) is all about networking and getting a job is 100x easier if you know someone.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,286,794 times
Should have become a YouTuber! Although YouTube didn't exist when I was in my early 20's.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,123,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
1. The best thing you can do is keep a poker face. Focus on the job itself, not the other people in the office.

2. Productivity is what counts. Don't worry about what others think about you at work. You will work with plenty of people who just will not like you. You are there to get a job done, not to make friends.

3. Nobody at work will have your back and none of them really care about you. Your family loves you and cares about your well being, not anyone at work.

4. The salary is everything. The more you make, the more you can invest for retirement, and the sooner you can stop working.

5. Job satisfaction is hard to find, and an uncomfortable truth is that most people really don't like their jobs. Dream jobs don't really exist. That is why they are called dreams.

6. You don't have any friends at work. The people who call you a friend at work are the ones you really have to watch out for. They will stab you in the back first.

7. Everyone at work lies and keeps secrets. The workplace is very fake. People put on a false image everyday just to keep their jobs. You don't and never will really know your coworkers.
No way, young people do not follow this bad advice! Items 2 and 5 are fine but the others are just paranoid or butt-hurt emotional sentiments. Matter of fact, people who are gainfully employed, climbing the ladder (internally or not), and having great careers are following opposite advice.

#4 is especially bad, aiming only for salary will almost guarantee that you will be desperate to retire early, rich, broke or otherwise. #'s 1, 3, 6 and 7 are all lame excuses from someone easily hurt or holding a grudge. Good relationships help you enjoy your job and progress in your career.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:36 PM

13,609 posts, read 9,650,339 times
The main lesson that I’d exhort in my younger self, is to choose a field that’s portable, that can be pursued in a major-city, just as easily as in the countryside or small town. For example, nuclear engineering or agricultural engineering probably aren’t good choices if you want to live in a major city. Law, finance or architecture are better choices.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:41 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,699,140 times
To the 21 year old self me who spent entire summer looking for job, reading every books/article on finding job for recent college grad and making flow diagram of my life/future plan one after another: chill out, it will all work out. Life has a plan of it own and everyone goes somewhere. Don't stress so much about future. You will find a job and it will be an amazing job that you stay for decades on. Enjoy the summer

To the 22 year old me in her first professional job:

1) You will meet amazing people who will believe in you more than you believe in yourself. Take those compliments graciously and KEEP in touch with those people. They are your potential mentors who can guide you in life. A quick Hi and Hello once every 6 month isn't so hard but can make all the difference. At 32, I regret not keeping in touch with those amazing people I meet early in my career

2) Go to lunch, dinner with your coworker. Meet new people. Don't be afraid of socializing with strangers/coworkers. It is important skill. You don't have to be the loud obnoxious person who always wants to hangout but you don't have to hide behind in fear of making small talks or fear of connecting with others.

3) Embrace your difference, your awkwardness. Everyone is weird, awkward and amazing all at once

4) STOP eating free food at work, those junk food (donuts and cookies) are going to give you the freshmen 15 all over again. Weight loss is tough, get out of poor college student looking for free food mentality and think about your health

6) your role might be tough and new and nothing you learned in college, but relax you will figure it out. They didn't offer it to you because they thought you can't handle it. It takes a year to learn something new, give it time. don't rush

7) Take advantage of business trip. No its not going to make you a freeloader or terrible employ. Add a vacation or 2 to your business trip to explore the new cities.

8) Time management, take 5 - 10 time management course because YOU SUCK AT IT. Get your **** together and those dumb classes on soft skills (however stupid they sound) eventually will help you grow and be mature. Put the time and effort it & for love of god show up on time, not 5 minute later.

9) Invest in business casual wardrobe even if everyone else is dressed in jeans and tshirt. Perception is reality. As a matter of fact, invest in lot of things. Invest in real estate, in stocks, in trips and memories, in friends, in family, in exploring, in feeding yourself and in finding yourself and in finding your significant other. INVEST because you have time and energy.

10) don't stress about work life balance, when the time comes u will figure it out. You don't even have boyfriend yet, why are you stressed about maternity leave

Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM

26 posts, read 69,546 times
Don't stay at that job you have mixed feelings about for 13 years.

No one is immune to layoffs, even if (and maybe especially if) you think you're indispensable. There are laws against discrimination... but bad business decisions are not illegal!

Give 90% effort at work at all times and save that 10% for networking and figuring out where you're going next. It's easier to find a job while you have a job... you just have to be looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment