Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,150,354 times

Advertisements

I think that you should be given a hotel too. Is this going to be just for a short time? Are you afraid to have a discussion about the hotel? Have you checked to see how much hotels run there, by the week might be reasonable. I'd check and then approach the boss asap and discuss this and be able to offer your boss information on some reasonable hotel rates etc.

A 500 hundred mile round trip per day is very unreasonable for your boss to expect imo

Per diem is usually for meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,004,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think that you should be given a hotel too. Is this going to be just for a short time?
I am also curious. Is this a one day deal, and you are expected to be at your normal worksite at 7:30am the next morning? If so, that is harsh, but legal. Your boss should let you come in late the next morning.

Quote:
A 500 hundred mile round trip per day is very unreasonable for your boss to expect imo
Agreed. Good thing the boss is only asking OP to drive 300 miles.

Quote:
Per diem is usually for meals.
Per diem can also be for hotels. Most companies use the GSA travel rates as a standard and allow the hotel rates published by region as a per diem.

OP, in addition to meals, if you are using a personal vehicle your company should also reimburse for mileage. Current federal rates are about $0.53/mile. This is the amount your company can legally deduct as a mileage expense, so it is reasonable for you to get this much.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
I am shocked as well that your company is paying for a hotel. I travel a lot for work and have never had my boss tell me no. If I am putting myself in an inconvenient location, it is up to the company to make me somewhat comfortable.

That said, I personally would rather just get home instead of spending the night at a hotel. Luckily it is only one day, hopefully it won't happen to frequently.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM

13,662 posts, read 12,344,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
Alright, just to clear a few things up. I did ask, a few times, and was told no.

I am being compensated an extra hourly rate, and a per Diem. ...

My question is, do other people usually get a hotel when they travel 150 miles away, or are they expected to drive home when finished ?
I travel around four states as part of my job. Usually, for a 2.5 hour trip I do that in one day. The exception would be an early appointment/meeting, say before 8:30 or 9:00 AM, or if I am returning from somewhere even further but still along the way.

I have a company vehicle. If I were OP, I would want something in terms of payment for my travel in my own car. .55 per mile is reasonable.

In any case OP, you can write off all of this mileage come tax time. It will roughly work out to $150/day, so if you're doing this regularly for a period of weeks, say 4 days a week for a month, you can write off $2,400 in mileage. Depending on your tax bracket, that's $5-$800 back to you.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,690,405 times
OP - are you calculating the 150 mile trip from your house or from your place of employment? Most companies do not include the trip from your house to the office as part of the trip.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 PM

69 posts, read 111,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Ask, I suppose. You'll never know unless you do.

I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel. I much prefer my own bed.

And, I think that it isn't that unreasonable to commute. My daily commute is 90 minutes each way. I worked 12 hour shifts for more than a year straight. (5-6 days per week) So your max day by your calculation was my everyday.

ETA- A gas stop for 150 miles? Seriously? Most people wouldn't even need a bathroom break.
I think you crossed your line a bit - It is not your job to dictate when others should use the bathroom! IMHO!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM

69 posts, read 111,791 times
OP, you should get a hotel and also get expense reimbursement. Check with your state laws.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,843,183 times
A 10 hour work day is what you're implying by saying you'll get $30 extra, or is that including drive time? You must be paid hourly if you're will also receive an extra $3 more per hour. --But then you said somewhere it's an 8-10 hour work day? If you're getting paid $60 for out of town meals, (more than fed per diem) plus an extra $3 an hour, including drive time, is it your vehicle or a company vehicle?

That's a better deal than some government employees get, myself included. Even with drive time that still leaves more than 8 hours to sleep! I'm wondering why people are appalled at all of this suffering the OP is describing, I think the OP said they don't mind traveling out of town.

Itemize you deductions at tax time like everyone else who travels for work, and include the hotel plus mileage if you have to use your own car, if this all too overwhelming. You'll have to deduct the that extra $3/ an hour and anything above fed per diem for out of town meal expense if you go that route though...

Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,710,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond31 View Post
I think you crossed your line a bit - It is not your job to dictate when others should use the bathroom! IMHO!
How did I dictate?

150 miles- I know of zero cars that get less than 150 miles out of a tank of gas, so a gas stop is ridiculous.
On an interstate, at 70 mph, you are dealing with roughly 2 hours. MOST people can go two hours without a bathroom break. Everybody will have an instance where they cannot, but is that really the norm? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment