Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 AM

403 posts, read 666,828 times

Advertisements

I really do love my current job, as I'm extremely good at it. However, I really detest where I live, and want to save up so I can successfully move out of St. Louis, Missouri. And with my current job, I'm making nowhere near enough to move out of here ($39,750/year now). Would it be bad to ask for a raise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
The best time is usually after a good review. If you can network with peers, and build your skills, it will help. You are more attractive to a prospective employer while working than when unemployed. Do not apply by unsolicited resume to any company in the area where you work, it will get back to your employer. Instead talk to others in other companies that could hire you about working conditions, pay, and other benefits.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
It is not "bad" to ask for a raise, provided you are prepared with salary data for comparable positions in the market in which you work and can demonstrate that your current salary is under market value. You'll also need to be able to make a case about your value and worth to your employer; what have you contributed that has helped to grow the business? You say you are extremely good at your job...you need to convince them of that.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I really do love my current job, as I'm extremely good at it.
What do you do?

Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It is not "bad" to ask for a raise, provided you are prepared with salary data for comparable positions in the market in which you work and can demonstrate that your current salary is under market value. You'll also need to be able to make a case about your value and worth to your employer; what have you contributed that has helped to grow the business? You say you are extremely good at your job...you need to convince them of that.
Good advice.
Google Robert Half salary guide. Also lot's of data from the Bureau Labor and Statistics

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I really do love my current job, as I'm extremely good at it. However, I really detest where I live, and want to save up so I can successfully move out of St. Louis, Missouri. And with my current job, I'm making nowhere near enough to move out of here ($39,750/year now). Would it be bad to ask for a raise?
If you are known for being extremely professional, reliable, a knowledgebase and valued, and have only had good performance reviews, AND if the local market can show that you are underpaid for what you do, then ask for a raise.

In my case, I asked for a raise in 2016, but I showed my boss:

1) a brief history of my increasing workload and responsibilities over the years
2) proof that I had steadily increasing scores on my performance reviews three years running
3) the median pay scale in our area for the actual jobs I was doing (not what my current title represented)

I then said that what I deserved was a 12% raise, but I asked for a more modest 6% raise because I knew budgets were tight and the 6% would max out my job title's pay range.

My boss refused the raise and instead gave me a promotion that came with an 11% raise.

I was only able to accomplish this because I had a solid work history with the company, increasing responsibility that I could show/prove, and a good working relationship with my boss.

Whatever you do, don't ask for the raise and mention that you want it so that you can eventually move out of the area. In a bit of bad timing, I once asked for a raise (and felt I deserved it), but was refused (I did not use the same method I described above). One week later I found out I was pregnant - and it was HORRIBLE around the office when I realized that the leadership would probably think I asked for the raise because I knew I was pregnant (which was not the case at all).

Timing is everything.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Depends on your field. Personally? I never ask for a raise, because it still gives the power to the employer. I go out and secure an offer for more money, take it to my employer, and tell them they have to match it or else lose my services.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:38 PM

146 posts, read 100,170 times
Raises are determined after end of year review. Your boss and his boss and his boss are not authorized to give any sort of raise outside of the end-of-year review. Also you are paid what is availed, not what you think is right. Your boss is also entitled to a larger raise / bonus and he probably has a family. Don't try and put yourself in front of other's needs.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:31 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Nope.. You're supposed to keep adding more on your plate, or they are, while you just sit there and accept it for no raise or promotions today.

Ask for a raise?.. Don't bother.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:23 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan.../#3be6cc572b44
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment