Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:29 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Nope. This is an EIT. The title of engineer belongs to a licensed profession and cannot be used to advertise services or work without the accompanying license. This varies slightly state by state.
this is way to ideal. i havent heard of a cease-and-desist for anyone titled as an engineer to stop advertising themselves as one because they dont have a pe.

i would think most software, systems, computer, electrical, ..., sanitation, engineering advisor, qa test design engineers to be in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Bolded mine.

A couple years ago, my spouse and I were at kolhs buying some clothes. We ran into a guy I knew from college. We graduated together. While I had found a job and was working on advancing my career, he never found a job and eventually had to work a minimum wage job at a retail store. I really felt bad for him. Yes, ones degree goes stale after a while.

Was he also an engineer?
i would think so. similar like any other retiree from any profession (md's that become landlords, ...).

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i would think so. similar like any other retiree from any profession (md's that become landlords, ...).
So, someone that never worked a day as an engineer is the same as someone who worked 30+ years as an engineer before retiring?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM

^ they are not the same.
kevin ware never played a game in the nba -- is he the same as michael jordan ?; no.
are they both basketball players ?; yes.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Engineers are the people who plan elaborate road projects way ahead of time down to where the detours will be at the various parts of the project, the people who designed the instructions and packaging behind this night stand I bought at wally world, where everything was packed perfectly with minimal use of foam, and instructions provided were perfect down to the letter.

Engineers let people make things more efficiently partly by using computers to calculate the end result faster than a human can do. They push the boundaries of what mankind can achieve and are responsible for most of the biggest advances we have along with things like automation.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:20 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
^ they are not the same.
kevin ware never played a game in the nba -- is he the same as michael jordan ?; no.
are they both basketball players ?; yes.
Wrong example. Kevin Ware at least play basketball. The guy I referred to in my example never worked a single day in engineering. He went from engineering school straight to retail.

Just wondering. Are you a NEET? The only other time I have seen someone try to make the argument you're trying to use was a NEET. He tried to reason that NEETs in their 20s are just like retired people.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Just wondering. Are you a NEET? The only other time I have seen someone try to make the argument you're trying to use was a NEET. He tried to reason that NEETs in their 20s are just like retired people.
i had to look that up:

thanks, learned a new one.
no, i'm not.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
this is way to ideal. i havent heard of a cease-and-desist for anyone titled as an engineer to stop advertising themselves as one because they dont have a pe.

i would think most software, systems, computer, electrical, ..., sanitation, engineering advisor, qa test design engineers to be in this situation.
It happens more frequently than you'd imagine. Just look at the meeting minutes of a given state board and this usually falls under administrative business and correspondence. And civil isn't the only discipline to do it. Some states that are beginning to look at licensing software engineering separately from electrical, or as a sub discipline, are also trying to navigate how best to deal with the title situation to distinguish the license holders and denote membership.

It's not ideal, it's a practical reality of a state board. You don't have to like it but it's true and plain enough to find out about if one looks. Electrical engineers, chemical engineers, nuclear engineers, mechanical engineers, etc, all have specific requirements for use of their titles too. Some state boards don't enforce it unless someone actively raises a stink so it persists, but that doesn't mean the statutes and regs aren't clear, it just means they don't go hunting for violations. Certain states, like New York and Alaska, are much more aggressive about it.

Words have meaning. Reserving a title of a profession for those licensed in it is done in pharmacy, accounting, real estate, nursing, law, and even hairdressing. Misuse or misappropriation of the title is usually against code, and sometimes the associated board with have financial or even criminal penalties for running afoul of the admin code. That is variable, depending on the state and specific group of individuals populating the boards on a given term.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'll tell the guy who has been working as an engineer since the mid 80s to change his company issued business cards that list his company issued title because he might get reported to a licensing board.
If this is in California watch out - the fines are stiff for practicing without a license, which is what that can amount to depending on whether his services are for external contracts. You don't have to like it for it to be reality - licensed professions have certain state protected distinctions to their professional titles and responsibilities, and protection of the title is as much a part of the engineering and architect boards as the medical board.

It may be worth asking him is he knows the title is protected in California Professional Engineers Act section 6704:

Quote:
6704. Defines who may use engineer titles
(a) In order to safeguard life, health, property, and public welfare, no person shall practice civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering unless appropriately licensed or specifically exempted from licensure under this chapter, and only persons licensed under this chapter shall be entitled to take and use the titles “consulting engineer,” “professional engineer,” or “registered engineer,” or any combination of those titles or abbreviations thereof, and according to licensure with the board the engineering branch titles specified in Section 6732, or the authority titles specified in Sections 6736 and 6736.1, or the title “engineer-in-training.”

He *may* fall under the exemptions, but it doesn't sound like it from what you've stated here. And Senior Engineer, especially if he is practicing in civil or mechanical, would very likely be considered a breech since his designation by education would be an "engineer in training" (EIT). it is the law and further down in the regs they refer to the associated action that can be taken for misuse of the professional title.

Edited to add - if he is actually doing any engineering, whether the title is at issue or not, there is a very detailed practice act in California and he would still be in violation of it.
http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/laws/pe_act.pdf

Note how many disciplines it covers, and the scope of practice. Theoretically soeaking if someone calls themselves an engineer and is neither co opting the specific discipline titles OR anything under their scope of practice the individual is probably okay, like if I called myself a domestic engineer. It would be idiotic, but it wouldn't be subject to fines or potential legal action.

Last edited by Schmooky; 07-26-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
The path to engineering starts with a BS degree in one of the engineering specialties. The BS degree includes heavy duty calculus.

The next move is passing a government test called Fundamentals of Engineering.

There is a second test which makes you a practicing engineer.

When I was working as an IT person some might have called me a software engineer. I was a computer programmer analyst, not an engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment