Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
My stepdad was an EE at General Dynamics for 35 years, but his lack of people skills kept him down while his classmates rose higher and higher. He was adamant about not kissing anyone's ass, not telling others how to do their job, and not have to manage others. He was a brilliant engineer, but a poor manager.

Sounds a lot like me! I can't manage my own sock drawer, let alone other people. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:21 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
In some areas, software comes to mind, I don't think it matters what you call yourself but in my world it is a very big deal.

I am NICET Certified in the layout of fire sprinkler systems. NICET stands for the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies and is a division of the National Society of Professional Engineers.

There's a big difference between what I do and what a licensed professional engineer (PE) can do. I can lay out systems, perform all the hydraulic calculations and in most areas of the country I can submit drawings for approval under my signature which is not a seal.

But I dare not call myself an "engineer" because I am not one.

What is the difference between what I do and what an engineer would do? The big difference is the engineer can "performance based" design where I must follow a series of very specific standards without deviating. To give an example a standard sprinkler must not ever be more than 15'-0" apart, be more than 7'-6" off a wall or cover more than 130 Sq Ft per sprinkler for Ordinary Hazard Occupancy and I will never deviate from this. However, a professional engineer can perform some calculations and certify that, given the water pressures available, the same object will be reached if he places the sprinkler 7'-7" off the wall instead of the 7'-6'. But this is extremely rare to find, in 42 years I have only seen it one time, because once the engineer seals and signs it he owns it and God help him if something goes wrong.

When it comes to designing fire sprinkler systems I feel confident in saying I am better at that than 95% of the professional engineers out there not because I am smarter (I'm not) or have more education (I don't) but fire sprinkler design (dare I call it "engineering"?) is all I have done for 42 years so I ought to be pretty good at it.

Just to remind everyone I am not an engineer.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:31 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Nope. This is an EIT. The title of engineer belongs to a licensed profession and cannot be used to advertise services or work without the accompanying license. This varies slightly state by state.
I'm a computer/software engineer and no such licensing is required. I maintain my title of engineer through the work I do, not a license I hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment