Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Do you think its a function of GM's model year cycle/sales? Or is it across other brands you notice it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 02:58 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think auto sales peak before the economy starts to drop.

For example, in my family, we've bought 3 new cars since 2012. They replaced cars at were on average, 17 years old. I kept those old cars running because we were struggling.

Now the new cars run fine. They are all payed off. No debt is a good feeling. We've not had one problem. So part of it is that new cars are better than they have ever been. Maybe 30 years ago, I'd be thinking of trading my 2012 model. But not now. Why trade a perfect car?

I think a lot of people are in a similar situation. Also, most people finance cars and the terms are now unusually long, e.g. 72 to 84 months. People in debt prefer to not dig deeper by buying another car.
The real issue, IMO, is not the length of loans but rather the rising auto loan default rate, the highest since just before the recession:

Here

Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The stock market is not in a recession.

People with highly sought after, specialized skills are not in a recession.

The people who do feel a recession (despite what Wall Street types are telling them) are unskilled blue collar workers and service employees, whose wages have stagnated and lost ground in real terms for several decades, especially since around 2000.

There may be some others who are skilled that are in industries that feel like they are experiencing a recession, but the people in the lower half (and especially the lower quartile or third) of the wage spectrum are the ones who have felt the brunt of economic hardship.
Wish I could double-rep this: concise, and sums up what Business Insider, Wall Street Journal, and the Economist have been going on about past five years or so during our "recovery": it's all changed, man. The news is getting out, finally, and some are none too pleased. Others, thrilled. And that's trouble brewing.

So those with those specialized skills, also including me: we are like fat burghers of yore, seeing riches flowing into our coffers for our services, it is truly bonanza times. I am involved with candidate recruiting for high-end tech roles, and though there is a good pool out there, it isn't a great pool: talent is being scooped up, for serious coin, by the majors and smaller consultancies and start-up up the yin yang.

Seattle is "I think" disturbingly bi-modal in the average household income these days. The poor bastards trying to hold it together, and raise a family and buy a home, on two people making $15/hour: pretty much can NOT be done, they live in some god awful commute place like Maple Valley or Auburn and are exhausted all day, while really saving little for the future.

Us techies who are (very) deep in hot tech get great jobs, though the work is volatile and you need to know when to switch companies w/o much hesitation. Do that, and thrive, you can afford the outrageious, median $650K or so home price in Seattle proper, or $1.06M in my neighborhood(!) which is up 19.4%(!!) in the past *year*. See what's going on here, how fierce it is for places where people want to live?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:55 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I am in the auto industry......working for new car dealerships for the last 31 years. I work for a very large auto group that carries many different brands.I have seen dealers busy as all hell and also slow up......Been through a recession around 91 and of course 2008. The car line I work for is very popular and the dealer I work for is among the top in the region. Around October 2016 the business started slowing up......bot just in our own stores but other dealers too. This summer which is normally very busy has been very dead.......It's not just dealers......Its auto repair shops.....body shops.....auto parts stores....other car dealers we are friends with say it is really slow too.......People are not buying cars or parts like they used to. Yet, the stock market seems strong. I have not seen it this bad or slow since 2008.

So is anyone else feeling anything like this in your particular line of work?
Absolutely not. No recession. The main thing to look for, to know we have a recession, is increasing unemployment (not the normal up and down ticks, but noticeable and increasing unemployment).

I read that both GM & Ford are going through some issues, so I think the auto industry may be having its own issues. Sometimes particular sectors of the economy go through trouble that other sectors do not. Also, the auto business is cyclical in nature.

Also, probably a lot of people made their big purchases last year, when rates were still really low, before they started going up. We knew that rates would start going up this year.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Depends on where you live. If you're in a small town or a rural place it can feel that way. But if you're in a major metro like NYC or San Fran things are booming at a rate never seen before.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The real issue, IMO, is not the length of loans but rather the rising auto loan default rate, the highest since just before the recession:

Here
That's true. The auto companies and their financing partners are dipping into the shallow end of the pool and will now finance anybody with a pulse.

It won't end well.

If you recall the last housing boom mania in about 2006 with the "liar loans" and the interest only loans with the "deferred interest" adding to the principle each month, that was the sign of the impending bust.

Fortunately, car loans are a much smaller portion of the economy than housing loans.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Obviously we aren't in a recession as a nation. Are you asking if we're going to be entering one?

Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Do you think its a function of GM's model year cycle/sales? Or is it across other brands you notice it?
Most brands are having issues.....btw.....I am not with GM......I know my name shows that but I switched from GM to a high end popular brand 9 years ago.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The stock market is not in a recession.

People with highly sought after, specialized skills are not in a recession.

The people who do feel a recession (despite what Wall Street types are telling them) are unskilled blue collar workers and service employees, whose wages have stagnated and lost ground in real terms for several decades, especially since around 2000.

There may be some others who are skilled that are in industries that feel like they are experiencing a recession, but the people in the lower half (and especially the lower quartile or third) of the wage spectrum are the ones who have felt the brunt of economic hardship.
Actually not true in many areas at this time- here in Seattle even those you mentioned (unskilled, low wage) are having their choice of jobs- places cannot find enough people to fill even those types of jobs so they have to keep raising the pay to try to entice people. Things are booming from top to bottom!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I don't think we have left it in 10 years. All the "everything is rosy" comes from the corrupted politicians trying to get re-elected and equally corrupted bought off news networks with their politically driven agendas.

It's easy to fudge numbers, pay people off and blow hot air. That's what crooked corporate execs and politicians do all day

If there is one thing I have learned over 10 years, hardly anyone in positions of power or money controllers tell the truth anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment