Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 PM

192 posts, read 131,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, and people can't get hired if they show up drunk either...

I'm treating weed the same as all the rest of the "drugs", show up with it in your system, don't expect a job
there is more to life than enjoying getting high, it's a sorry person that needs to escape reality by way of drugs to feel enjoyment
There is more to life than concerning yourself with what people do in their free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
no, and people can't get hired if they show up drunk either...

I'm treating weed the same as all the rest of the "drugs", show up with it in your system, don't expect a job
The test only shows that they smoked at some point in the last few weeks, not if they showed up stoned. Unless the company is doing daily breathalyzers at the door before letting employees in for the day, they don't care if their employees are getting drunk at home.

And you can be a hard ass about it all you want but if an employer is complaining that they can't find people who can whizz clean they may have to rethink how important that is to them, especially if the candidates meet the other requirements.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To me that qualification of no drinking or drugs is inappropriate, it says "If you want to work here we get to control your private life too". What gives any employer such a right?
they got the right when the locals failed to show up and vote for their local govt to prevent it

what right do employees have to force a employer to hire people they don't want?

the drug users have the choice to work for employer that wants them as much as the employer has the right to hire who they want

Old 07-31-2017, 12:24 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
Why eat cookies or a delicious steak? They should just eat tofu infused with protein and down it only with water.

Why drive anything other than a corolla when you just need to go from point A to B?

No one has made an argument about functioning with pot, it's simply an enjoyable pastime for many, that I doubt has an iota of effect on anything you personally do. You can keep being a good authoritarian puppet, but just know your numbers are rapidly waning, and before long you will be on the wrong side of history.

As for the topic, I find it hilarious that businesses who chose not to offer a competitive compensation package are struggling to fill the needs. It's not 2008 anyone, and it is their choice not to adapt in this employee advantaged job market.
They're just spouting what they were taught as kids. Cultural change takes time and most people are not pioneers of change, they just go along for the ride. Both political parties are full of authoritarian puppets.

I do personally respect the people who don't drink or do drugs...they have a consistent argument... it's the drinkers who criticize marijuana I have no respect for, or people with other addictive habits like overeating, or whatever that criticize it. Still.. I'm not about to tell everyone they must live like me because I'm so special because I don't drink or do drugs. That's narcissism there.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
they got the right when the locals failed to show up and vote for their local govt to prevent it

what right do employees have to force a employer to hire people they don't want?

the drug users have the choice to work for employer that wants them as much as the employer has the right to hire who they want
This thread is about an employer who is complaining that they can't find qualified candidates who can whizz clean for drugs. If they are going to complain then the onus is on them to decide if they might need to modify what it is that they want. If they are willing to accept an alcoholic worker but not a worker who smoked a little weed two weeks ago at a concert, maybe their wants are not all that reasonable.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM

192 posts, read 131,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They're just spouting what they were taught as kids. Cultural change takes time and most people are not pioneers of change, they just go along for the ride. Both political parties are full of authoritarian puppets.
I admit I can be heavy handed, especially when dealing with people that have been brain-washed since infancy on the issues. But these folks advocate for the incarceration of people doing something very benign, and in this instance advocates that these folks don't deserve to be gainfully employed, despite meeting other requirements. It's hard to be nice to someone who thinks so little of others in this fashion.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
I admit I can be heavy handed, especially when dealing with people that have been brain-washed since infancy on the issues. But these folks advocate for the incarceration of people doing something very benign, and in this instance advocates that these folks don't deserve to be gainfully employed, despite meeting other requirements. It's hard to be nice to someone who thinks so little of others in this fashion.
if it's so benign why can't they stop using drugs?

do you rustle up such a storm as well when people don't hire people with visible tattoos as well? what about when people have bad credit? or if they have long hair and don't want to wear hair nets? what about any other "things" that people do.

yes, it is unfair, and what of it? you won't make the world any more fair by going around setting rules, all you do is change one "fairness" to a group of people while taking it away from someone else

you can even say it is unfair to not hire someone that comes in stinking and needs grooming, but no one is going to hire a dumpster bum if they don't clean up first

so, let me ask again, why is weed treated like some magic thing that people should accept? while they ignore other "things"?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
The whole point of drug testing is to protect the company in case a impaired worker causes a ruckus in some way. Believe me, you don't want someone blazed out of their mind speeding toward you in a forklift while weaving all over the place or operating heavy construction equipment. I have witnessed it all over my years working in such jobs.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:

you can even say it is unfair to not hire someone that comes in stinking and needs grooming, but no one is going to hire a dumpster bum if they don't clean up first
You do realize you just described a large percentage of the H1B workers these employers want to replace the people who whizz hot for MJ with, right?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:57 PM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
They put a new factory\distribution center in near where I grew up about 10 years ago and it's the same situation as back then, lots of applicants failed the drug test. *shrug*

That's their business but as other posters have noted people impaired at work can and have caused enormous problems so it's the owners right to hire how they see fit.

It's not shocking news to them either. Heck, I had a guy talking with a friend while we were standing around and he was saying he might go work at this government job that paid more but they test for pot and so he'd have to stop.

The guy makes his own decisions and choices. shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment