Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Weed is not some magic thing that makes people incapable of working, especially in an environment full of people who partake in alcohol.
It doesn't make them work better either despite what people claim on here

I agree that employers should have done research into the local population before they opened business there to see if the local population is capable of being employed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If we want things to be like Germany than companies need to behave like Germans and have their fellow countrymen's back. German companies, despite higher prices, keep manufacturing in Germany, train, offer internships and apprenticeships, and actually pay their employees with generous time off/vacation and other benefits.

It is not all about squeezing every possible penny of profit out of the company. The company actually cares about Germany and its citizens.
if you want things to be like Germany, you need to kill off 20% of the population...

80% of German population is ethnically the same while 60% is the largest "majority" in the US

Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Living wage is a myth. You can adjust your living to any wage, to the extent that you live on the streets

What you want is a lifestyle wage and the living wage myth makes everyone think they can live a middle class lifestyle working a minimum skill minimum wage job
But that's not what this is. OP said they had a List of qualifications half a page long.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:

I agree that employers should have done research into the local population before they opened business there to see if the local population is capable of being employed
Who claimed it makes you work better? I myself said no one should be working high but that it shouldn't matter one whit if I smoke a bowl after work in my own home.

How exactly as an aside, would such a research study be undertaken as you've suggested above? What are the criteria for which stats are available in a given area, that would give an idea whether the local pop is "employable"? The applicants didn't have arrest records, they simply didn't pass a drug test. What criteria would be used in this employer study to determine if the applicant pool in the area is going to pass or fail a drug test?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But that's not what this is. OP said they had a List of qualifications half a page long.
yes, but she also said the reason they couldn't hire anyone was that they were addicts...

do you think they would stop drinking/drugs if the qualifications were only don't drink/drug?

being clean and the "qualifications" are two different issues

Old 07-31-2017, 12:10 PM

192 posts, read 130,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why take weed off the panel? It's not legal and is an issue with insurance. Why do people feel the need to do drugs? If you can't function without them, you might want to have a good, hard look at yourself.
Why eat cookies or a delicious steak? They should just eat tofu infused with protein and down it only with water.

Why drive anything other than a corolla when you just need to go from point A to B?

No one has made an argument about functioning with pot, it's simply an enjoyable pastime for many, that I doubt has an iota of effect on anything you personally do. You can keep being a good authoritarian puppet, but just know your numbers are rapidly waning, and before long you will be on the wrong side of history.

As for the topic, I find it hilarious that businesses who chose not to offer a competitive compensation package are struggling to fill the needs. It's not 2008 anyone, and it is their choice not to adapt in this employee advantaged job market.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:

Alcohol makes them work better?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Alcohol makes them work better?
no, and people can't get hired if they show up drunk either...

I'm treating weed the same as all the rest of the "drugs", show up with it in your system, don't expect a job
Quote:
Why eat cookies or a delicious steak? They should just eat tofu infused with protein and down it only with water.
there is more to life than enjoying getting high, it's a sorry person that needs to escape reality by way of drugs to feel enjoyment

Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
yes, but she also said the reason they couldn't hire anyone was that they were addicts...

do you think they would stop drinking/drugs if the qualifications were only don't drink/drug?

being clean and the "qualifications" are two different issues
She never said they were addicts, just that they couldn't pass the drug screen. Many use without being addicted to anything, in fact pot is far less addictive than booze and even Rx drugs given by a Dr.

To me that qualification of no drinking or drugs is inappropriate, it says "If you want to work here we get to control your private life too". What gives any employer such a right?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
it's a federal crime...

take theft off the rules and bank employees would be rich
Free thinkers take laws by whether they make sense or not, they don't blindly follow every law just because it's a law. I speed and run the occasional stoplight, simply because I think it's silly to sit at a stoplight for 60 seconds at 1AM when there's nobody around. Laws and rules are meant to be broken if they make little sense. Don't need the nanny state holding my hand cradle to grave.

I see a lot of "I don't get high, there's more to life than getting high, I'm so special because I don't get high, and because I don't do it, neither should you" comments. Sigh. That's not how it works. I hope everyone lights up and they can't find any qualified workers. Who wants to work for their $11/hour starting wage anyways? Poverty level wages. I'm not taking anything under $15/hour. These are choices I make for myself. Your results may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment