Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times

Advertisements

your employer should spread the extra workload among the staff, if they wont consider hiring a temp, or offering OT. If another co worker is out, pay is coming from vacation and sick pay, if they want it that way. so employer is not at a loss, but ahead of the game , not paying out wages.

Your Supervisor should/ would not know about your exact medical condition, as it is supposed to be private. your company nurse or HR department would know about it, and you should turn to them. As you do come in early, to finish all your normal workload, no one looks at that. NO one really cares! I do not see you as playing the system, but doing the extras is not going to get you away from taking on extra work , only makes your supervisor look at you as the one who finds the work easy, so more work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 06:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
It's not part of my job to do the work of others, is it? It is, after all, someone else's assigned work that I'm being assigned just because I'm the most caught up (because my OCD leads me to coming in early and staying late until it's done when I'm not getting paid for staying late/coming in early). I routinely arrive 20 minutes before my start time and begin working right away.

Your OCD does not lead you break company policy; you choose to break company policy.

Unless you are an exempt employee, working off the clock, is a huge no-no. This is something you can be terminated for and your ADA 'protection' won't protect you from it.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I have a heart problem with a side of a few heart attacks....my heart rate is 120 on the regular...who knew this earned me less work! Awesome!
Mine too, and I have high bp. And my heart rate goes up when I'm stressed. And my doctor would like it lower. And I'm in the position of mandatory OT right now. And I "work for the government".

Here I thought it was just another day...

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
You conveniently missed the part about OCD. Pathetic how uncaring people are these days. "He has health concerns related to work so he must be up to something." That's Trump-like level of soulless.
Make an appointment with your psychiatrist for psychotherapy and get your medications adjusted.

EVERYONE in the entire WORLD gets assigned different and occasionally extra work.

Do not work off the clock ; it's illegal for the employer because your workmans' comp is not covered then.

Don't hijack your complaints with POLITICS. If you REALLY want to go there, there are plenty of us ready and willing but it should be on the POLITICS or Great Debates forum.

Is that what you do at work instead of just working? Oh that's right - you thought having a government job meant "easy" which...of course it totally IS. But you're not going to be shielded from normal everyday occurrences of basic work cycles or poor management. That's where interpersonal skills come in.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-01-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraTheElf View Post
I've not been aware that finding a good psychiatrist= no more OCD

If that were the case, why not find a good psychiatrist for Schizophrenia, Bi-polar disorder or everything else? Then we'd not have any mental issues in the world. We'd live in a perfect world. Just imagine it.

Just a thought- When he is absent, I wonder if he comes back to the un-finished work or do others cover him just as he is expected to cover them?
If it's one sided, it is unfair
"everything else"?

Obviously you haven't spent much time studying these disorders.

OF COURSE medication can regulate the symptoms of OCD, BP, and Schizophrenia ...and they should be prescribed by a psychiatrist not a "family doctor" or similar. With psychotherapy.

Dementia is even linked to OCD symptoms and the same medication is often prescribed and effective.

I guess you're unaware that under JFK they passed deinstitutionalization laws when schizophrenia medications were available because they thought exactly what you said. The medication is effective but they failed to realize that the people would refuse to take them. Which happens to be LEGAL right now.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
It's not part of my job to do the work of others, is it? It is, after all, someone else's assigned work that I'm being assigned just because I'm the most caught up (because my OCD leads me to coming in early and staying late until it's done when I'm not getting paid for staying late/coming in early). I routinely arrive 20 minutes before my start time and begin working right away.
Are you hourly or salaried?

If you are salaried then isn't it irrelevant how long you work? You work until the work is finished and part of the accommodation is that you are allowed to work slower as long as it gets done?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraTheElf View Post
Because Attorneys are not free. And sometimes people actually know this stuff and can even link it to the law as proof. Nothing to loose here by asking
Is that you OP?

Anyways, wrong answer.

You are aware that giving legal advice is against the terms of service on this forum?

The only advice that can be given here is to consult an attorney if it is that important to the OP.

Instead, he comes on this forum knowing that he won't accept any 'advice' that counters his notion that he is being unfairly being discriminated against and targeted by his employer in violation of some ADA act. Even if someone here linked to legal opinions stating that the OP has no grounds for an ADA complaint, he stubbornly will refuse to acknowledge it.

All he's done so far, as expected, is bicker against those who think his complaints are baseless.

So the only one that can actually say what HE wants to hear on this forum, whether he has an ADA a case against this employer or not, is by consulting an expert labor attorney in these matters. And consultations aren't that expensive.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Isn't OP the one who complained big time in another thread about someone they work with abusing FMLA or something? So you don't know the story on others but just assume they are abusing FMLA, well, I'm going to assume you are abusing the ADA.

My coworker is abusing FMLA and I'm the only one who knows

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 08-01-2017 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Mine too, and I have high bp. And my heart rate goes up when I'm stressed. And my doctor would like it lower. And I'm in the position of mandatory OT right now. And I "work for the government".

Here I thought it was just another day...

Some people are weasels...

Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
You conveniently missed the part about OCD. Pathetic how uncaring people are these days. "He has health concerns related to work so he must be up to something." That's Trump-like level of soulless.
Well sir, you honestly sound completely and ridiculously whiny. You can't hear how this is coming off, obviously. More work isn't an issue if your accommodations are in place. You don't have a right to a certain level of workload unless you've been specified as light duty, so long as your other accommodations aren't being violated by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment