Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:08 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,097,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I would love to see how the stats break down in terms of people's vocations. Judging by all of the anger, suspicion, and bashing of employers it would appear that most who come here are disgruntled worker bees.

Based on posts, there seems to be very few CEO's, business owners, or successful entrepreneurs. (I guess that would make sense... they're busy running their business and prioritizing their time.) But there are tons of people who complain a lot and seem to have an "anti-authority agenda".

I tried to find another thread or survey on this but struck out. Any ideas?
I think you are correct in your observation. I come here to read different perspectives on hr related issues. There isn't always one correct answer, and each situationis unique, so what works in one situation doesn't apply in another. Where I can, I try to offer guidance/advice from a perspective that the average worker may not understand (I have an HR background). Many posters are, as you say, disgruntled and don't want to be confused with the facts. In those instances, I eventually just leave them to their own opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,987,957 times
I was a corporate worker bee from age 17 to 21 when I worked for Southwestern Bell from 1978 to 1981..... and that was the end of THAT......

I left to finish school while working as a waitress and bartender ..... by the time I graduated with a BS in Business and Commerce in 1985, the economy in Houston was in the toilet.... and circling the drain..... so, I came to St. Louis, having been here on business with my then Sister-in-Law and her husband. I knew two people when I made the move and decided I would give myself five years to reach SOME kind of stability or even success.....

Went to work as a legal assistant for the private practice attorney, who was one of the two people I knew, in early 1987..... then, jumped out of there to help a friend start a business in 1990.... he and I had met when I worked a temp job before the legal assistant job...... We grew that business to a fairly successful operation and got married in the years that followed...... We split in 2004 and he bought me out of the business..... I was unemployed for nearly a year because as I found out, employers are hesitant to hire a 44 year old, former small business owner/manager.....

Started my current business with another friend in mid-2006..... It has been an interesting ride, but we are really starting to see some good success now..... I am no longer a "boss" like I was with the previous business and I LOVE that aspect...... We are starting now to shift more into he and I working from our respective homes and I REALLY love that.....

So..... while I am not a worker bee in the strictest sense of the term, and haven't been in a very long time, my sympathies still tend to lie with them......

Old 08-05-2017, 04:57 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,180,024 times
Mid-30's. I'm fine and perfectly content with my current job. It pays extremely well, has great bennies, perks, and I am treated with dignity and respect. It also helps that the owner also puts in his work, can be found getting his hands, body, and clothes dirty for the greater good, and has an excellent reputation in the area. I should have moved over here 3 years ago instead of going to the low wage capitol of the nation we all know as Texas. Wasted my time working for a crappy, sorry ass wanna-be oilfield services company. To pad my income, I also trade stocks.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:37 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,099,173 times
I'm 31. Have worked in small, medium, and large size organizations in both private and public sectors. In the past, I have had both bad and good employers. When I had the bad ones, I got the hell out of there ASAP instead of complaining about it to strangers online.

My current employer is the best I've ever had. In fact, they are so good to me that I'm not going anywhere. Of course I could be bias about it because I'm now in management.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:39 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,284,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Internet forums are echo chambers of disgruntled people, if they were happy why would they post to complain?
^^^^^This! Having been on C-D for 10 years, yes, there are many "regulars" that seem to be happy and enjoying their lives and what not, they usually don't post in the W and E forum, at least not to complain about their job/employment, maybe to give advice and answer someone's question.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:14 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,706,859 times
Small business owner here. When I worked for someone else, it was in a small office and my employers were awesome. So I don't have any real war stories to share. I've had a couple doozy clients, but I would not discuss them on a web forum.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:19 PM

5,905 posts, read 4,410,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There are more "yes men" corporate apologists here than those that except reality
Yeah, it couldn't be that you have a toxic attitude and don't ACCEPT the fact that the work world isn't always some cruel, vicious jungle filled with family and friends who were handed jobs.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-05-2017 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,099,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There are more "yes men" corporate apologists here than those that except reality
I've been in management for a about 2 years now. I've found that there are always an employee or two in every team that will not get along with others and act as if they are too good for the job.

In fact, I had to fire one not too long ago. I really really tried to get him to cooperate. I'm willing to bet he's on CD complaining about how unfair the corporate world is.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 PM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
31, IT, niportheast Tennessee, $60k year.

Things are OK now. Not in love with job, but don't dislike it. City I'm in sucks. Will probably move in a few years again.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,361,168 times
My experience with CEO's, cops, trophy wives, and British sur-named lawyers is that they don't post much because they already have "the answers to the questions" and are unlikely to be the types to "share" much with the great unwashed hordes.
My profile is that I've founded a few organizations with others, I've been an "always there, above and beyond" employee to the point of my own detriment, and I've been salaried later in life in management. I once lost, but have regained, my most valued asset: my sense of humor. (Humour in Canada).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment