Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Unfortunately, not every woman is happy to fall into the whole "mean girl" clique. Certain women aren't like others and get treated badly for it. Did you even read the article? The OP didn't title it as if it were a "fact" he just copied what the title of the article was (which was written by a woman BTW).

If you bother to READ it it is spot-on: [blah blah blah with examples that could just as easily be examples about MALE bosses]

Sorry, but that really sums up my (and many other women's) experiences with females bosses.
<sigh>

And we could write just as many "articles" about males who are crappy bosses, but it's much more fun to point at women and call them names, isn't it?

You say it's your experience, but just as many women have NOT had that experience (we're just not writing articles about how our bosses, both male AND female, have been fine). In addition, some of us who have had problematic female bosses don't blame it on the bosses being women. Honestly, I think THAT is the issue here: if someone doesn't like a female boss, they seem to think it's a statement about females in general. When males are crappy bosses, we see them as individuals, not as somehow representative of their sex.

(By the way, you did this yourself while reporting on 3 examples of women bosses being horrible. There is NOTHING in those examples that is specific to gender; I am sure that male bosses have done the exact same things, but we don't blame it on their being men.)

I DO wonder why some women hate other women so much, and feel the need to constantly start threads like this (some of which get shut down for gender-bashing)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 PM

983 posts, read 737,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
<sigh>

And we could write just as many "articles" about males who are crappy bosses, but it's much more fun to point at women and call them names, isn't it?

You say it's your experience, but just as many women have NOT had that experience (we're just not writing articles about how our bosses, both male AND female, have been fine). In addition, some of us who have had problematic female bosses don't blame it on the bosses being women. Honestly, I think THAT is the issue here: if someone doesn't like a female boss, they seem to think it's a statement about females in general. When males are crappy bosses, we see them as individuals, not as somehow representative of their sex.

(By the way, you did this yourself while reporting on 3 examples of women bosses being horrible. There is NOTHING in those examples that is specific to gender; I am sure that male bosses have done the exact same things, but we don't blame it on their being men.)

I DO wonder why some women hate other women so much, and feel the need to constantly start threads like this (some of which get shut down for gender-bashing)?
Not sure what to say. Like it or not there are certain traits more represented in one over another. Much like in high school I, like many other girls hung out with guys a lot more than girls. I found them easier to befriend and not as much drama, cattiness and nastiness.

There was a topic on this before: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...male-boss.html

Guess those poll results don't say much?

Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yeah, my husband's all-male office is more drama-filled than my female-dominated office
This. OP, I worked in a law firm as summer staff, and people feared some of the male lawyers more than the few women lawyers. Some people don't handle the combination of stress and status well; they think it gives them the right to pitch fits at people.

One thing I've seen in academia is that the one tenured woman in a department, or a relatively recent hire who came from the "right" school (Harvard, Yale, Berkeley), would go out of her way to see that tenure is denied to other women in the pipeline, or would bully a visiting professor that the Department was hoping to hire on as permanent faculty. A Queen Bee mentality can come into play, eliminating any potential future threats to Queen Bee status. But those are exceptions.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:47 PM

33 posts, read 45,670 times
OMG all three accurately describe most of my females bosses! I am a woman but get so tired of all the awful stuff that comes with female bosses and co-workers. They are always out to get you and make your life miserable if you don't kow-tow to what they want. Give me men any day!

Old 08-06-2017, 10:56 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not sure what to say. Like it or not there are certain traits more represented in one over another. Much like in high school I, like many other girls hung out with guys a lot more than girls. I found them easier to befriend and not as much drama, cattiness and nastiness.

There was a topic on this before: http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...male-boss.html

Guess those poll results don't say much?
<sigh ... alas, I seem to do a lot of sighing at these threads>

But again: there is nothing gender-specific in the examples you posted about why women bosses were so awful. Men can and do do exactly the same things. The difference is, when they do it, they might be seen as crappy bosses, but not crappy MALE bosses. Somehow when women do these things, they are seen as representative of "female bosses" before anything.

In other words, as I wrote: some of us who have had problematic female bosses don't blame it on the bosses being women. Honestly, I think THAT is the issue here: if someone doesn't like a female boss, they seem to think it's a statement about females in general. When males are crappy bosses, we see them as individuals, not as somehow representative of their sex.

Example: years ago when I worked in the corporate world, I had a female boss who liked me a lot but did not promote me to the position I wanted. She got transferred and I got a new boss, who was male. Within a month he promoted me to the position. My point? This story has NOTHING to do with the first boss being female and the second being male, although I could rant on and on about how the female boss wasn't supportive (so "clearly females don't support other females," right? ) but the male boss was. In reality, their genders were completely inconsequential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
OMG all three accurately describe most of my females bosses! I am a woman but get so tired of all the awful stuff that comes with female bosses and co-workers. They are always out to get you and make your life miserable if you don't kow-tow to what they want. Give me men any day!
OMG, poor you. Guess you need to find an all-male workplace since you are the only female you want to work there.

For the record, I have never had a female (OR male) boss or co-worker "who was out to get me." Just love the hyperbole in these threads.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,600 times
When I was an Asst. Manager and the Store brought in a female Manager to replaced the old manager. There was no love lost between the new Store Manager and the Staff that consist of ladies. I had to be the buffer in between.

When the Store Manager was a man, the staff didn't seem so catty and in general, they liked him...but once he got promoted and walked in a woman....Boy! All the claws....LOL. I asked the staff, what is wrong with the new Manager...They never really said why they don't like her. They just don't. No perticular reason.

When there was an opening for management, I gave a few names of staff members that would be excellent addition to management, she shot all of them down and went outside and that new hired wasn't a great hired either. So diffenately no love lost between her and the staff.

Eventually, I left and was no longer there. Later, I heard that after I left the compnay, all the female staff members under my supervision left the company shortly thereafter.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 AM

337 posts, read 276,372 times
I've only had 1 job site where I believe I had a valid case of workplace bullying done against me. To make matters worse, my boss was in on it... All the bullying done was from older women.

I actually ended up talking to my psychiatrist a lot about this. I told her a male colleague at work was talking to me about how he saw how I was treated and said it was the "Younger, prettier female thing". His words, not mine. A male friend of mine said something similar to me. My psychiatrist (female) said she agreed with them. I told her something like they should be happy that they all have kids and are married. She said something that it didn't matter because I have a warm personality and I'm cute. She said it didn't matter. I then said (and I remember this conversation like it was yesterday) but they are thinner than me. I never was rude to anyone, always said good morning, so yeah I'm going with the jealousy thing.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
women let emotions carry over to the workplace, participating in gang bullying, jealousy, set ups, and gossip. Just like the movie Mean Girls.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
My wife got a female boss and thought that she would promote women like her more than "the good ole boy network" which she had been subjected to but found she was even more difficult and less helpful than any of her male bosses...and weirdly mean.

I had a female boss when I was early 20's and she sexually harassed me but I just dealt with it. Later had a female boss working for a Consulting firm but she was excellent....just depends on the person. In general from my many years, I would say I prefer a male boss to female boss as a rule of thumb but it always depends on the person.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
OP, That's a good question.

I don't get into bashing women, but I'll admit that when I watched the movie "Mean Girls" it opened my eyes to a bit of sociology that I'd never before witnessed. If you haven't seen that movie, watch it.

... a woman .... who could always tell me what the other side really wanted. I really appreciated her insight!
I had that lesson in sociology in real life for the first time in a co-ed dormitory in college, astounded at how mean and downright vicious women can be towards one another, and years later in a similar situation a woman explain it all to me.

Luckily in my professional career I've always worked independently, so I've never had to deal with it, but it still creeps up in social situations in married life and has the effect of limiting social interaction.

Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment