Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have always wondered about this. Do you think physical fitness play a role in you getting hired?
Yes, it plays a huge role in the hiring process. Just like age, physical appearance is a big factor - too old, too fat or too ugly and you will have a hard time finding a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
I think it does. And if it doesn't then it should.

I personally think being in good physical shape shows a lot of parts of a person's character. For example - discipline, work ethic, not being lazy, etc..

Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,315 times
Sure. Plenty of research shows that overweight and obese people are more prone to health issues, less productive at work, etc. So rationally, it often makes sense to hire the weight appropriate candidate over the overweight candidate.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Being fit and looking good are great for your confidence, and great for projecting confidence.

Plus, you'll just be all around healthier. Especially folks that do hard labor, you need exercise to help balance out weaknesses to avoid injury.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:50 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
I'd guess what the OP was really trying to infer in a round about way was, does looking like you are fit (read: young, good looking, and in shape) increase your chances of getting a job and all that.

And of course the answer is a big yes, as would be obvious to anyone that's followed how psychology like this works.

Your Chance Of Getting A Job Interview Increases If You're Attractive - Business Insider

Attractive People Are More Successful - Business Insider

Old 08-08-2017, 01:49 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,191 times
It's an odd thing I noticed working for a very large pay TV company. Supervisors and middle managers all tended to have spare tires, as if unable to find time to be physically active. The top execs, by contrast were usually trim.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,774,941 times
Yes, and pretty much across the board for all professions. A healthy person will always look more "attractive" than the same person when they are not healthy. I don't mean actually sick, just not in shape. And we all know (and studies have repeatedly shown this to be true) that the more attractive candidates have a way better chance of getting "the job" than those who are less attractive.

As being fit - not necessarily "ripped" - adds to the perception of attractiveness, it of course adds to one's "marketability" as well.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Why a lot of people find it hard to get a job.

1: They come in for an interview for working in an office, sales, and other public contact jobs. I have seen them come for an interview with a tee shirt with an inappropriate printing on the front, old worn out jeans, and flip flops, as a worst case example. For a position of this type, men you want to wear a suite, or a lady in a suit, or in a nice dress along with a blazer. The rule is, if you want a good job, dress for 2 levels above the position you are applying for. This shows you are above the others that apply, and you are a possible person to be looking for a promotion in the future. It gets jobs.
I always wonder if people who go to interviews dressed like you are describing really don't want the job, they are just fulfilling the requirements to continue getting unemployment. People can't really be that clueless can they? Even if I was applying for a job at McDonalds, I wouldn't go to an interview dressed like that.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Is there a difference?
Yes. Fat people can be fit. Not everyone is genetically predisposed to have a trim body type, regardless of fitness level or diet. Just like some skinny people can be terribly unfit. Body size/shape and fitness can have virtually no correlation in some people.

To answer your original question, it matters sometimes. It depends on who is hiring. However, just like any other possible stereotype, the best person for the job should be hired. I've seen very productive fat employees, even in physical jobs, and I've seen worthless 'fit' (aka skinny) employees in all types of jobs. Honestly, I've seen more of an abundance of the latter. Maybe that should be the new stereotype.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
There have been studies done that prove people who are more traditionally attractive are more likely to get hired. So I would think being physically fit would fall into this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment