Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
That's what I've done when someone takes cheap shots on the way out the door, and someone was only dumb enough to do it once from my organizations. I'll remember her, too, in years to come and if the opportunity comes to "not" hire Ms. Sassy-pants Brenna, I'll be right there with a big old grin to round-file her application, too. That was 2007. People don't forget that sort of thing, ever.
I bet that made you feel real good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've fixed their issues for years, built the impossible for them. Their green people just break things constantly. I figured out the fix for their latest break 3 weeks ago. They've since had 6 people look at it in those three weeks and can't figure out how to fix it like I did. I have a new job I started anyway, but wondering if I should just send the general I resign or wish them luck cleaning up their own mess for a change, line item by line item?
The question you should really be asking is what are you hoping to gain if you go line by line in your resignation?

Old 11-06-2018, 06:52 AM

905 posts, read 790,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I bet that made you feel real good.
Sounds like “Brenna” owned the quoted poster over a decade ago, and he or she is still not over it. I bet “Brenna” would get renewed satisfaction reading these words.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
As much as I hated my last company, fed up with chasing down and cleaning up their messes, I decided there was no point putting in a resentful-sounding resignation (if I'm understanding OP correctly). I had already brought up the issues ad-nauseam for a year before putting in my notice. You gotta realize, cluster**** companies won't change, so there's no reason in burning a bridge.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:38 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
You gotta realize, cluster**** companies won't change

Pigs enjoy rolling around in the mud. I could understand being frustrated if you still had to work there everyday, but once you have a new offer in hand, you should be the happiest person there. Riding into the sunset is often the loudest and most impactful statement you can make. Some organizations just aren't worth your time and effort.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
You're not as indispensable as you think. They'll have a way to fix things without you quickly after you're gone. If you build a reputation of being difficult to deal with, sooner or later that will catch up to you.

What do you have to gain, career wise from the little ego boost you'd get from telling them off?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've fixed their issues for years, built the impossible for them. Their green people just break things constantly. I figured out the fix for their latest break 3 weeks ago. They've since had 6 people look at it in those three weeks and can't figure out how to fix it like I did. I have a new job I started anyway, but wondering if I should just send the general I resign or wish them luck cleaning up their own mess for a change, line item by line item?
You most likely are overstating your importance to the company. I am always amazed at the number of people who think the company couldn't be able to continue without them in their lowly job. Only to find out, no one even brings your name up in conversation 2 weeks after you left except to discuss a mess you left behind.

You think so highly of yourself, then use that energy for the new employer. Don't tell the old employer anything cause you are likely to be insulting to them and confirm they are glad to see you go.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Heck, if you can stay on good terms and get paid a nice consultant fee to go fix their problems on the side, do that lol. My daughter did that for one place she left. She helped her replacement a couple times, then said if they need more help, she'd need a consulting fee - and they paid it.
Most good employers prevent employees working for the competition.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you sound like a bitter employee...

if you didn't fix it, they would have found someone else to do it, not like you did the impossible there.
stop acting like you deserve the world for doing your job, they paid you and you did the job.

since your other thread, you have a new job, just start it and be professional
There was a guy I met who bragged that since he wrote the software for his company's accounting department, that he was indispensable. He mentioned he was going to strongly remind them of that at the next raise time. They decided not to meet his demands and actually let him go. They replaced his accounting system with a widely used turnkey system and never looked back. I heard from a mutual friend that he was shocked they not only didn't want to meet his demands, but told him he was being terminated.

I've been working in IT and software for many years, and anyone foolish enough to attempt to hold their company hostage because they have some specialized skill or knowledge is going to be unpleasantly surprised at what management really thinks of them. The most highly sought after skill paying a very high hourly rate isn't going to last because it doesn't take long for other professionals to get up to speed on it too.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The only thing you gain by doing this is a bit of self pleasure. The amount of losses are numerous. I'd not burn that bridge.
Most companies don't care what leaving employees have to say. The only reason they ask for this in an exit interview is to document it for the purposes of any possible lawsuit by the former employee or to defend themselves from having to pay unemployment. Besides, if they really cared what you had to ask, they would have already asked it and listened to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment