Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

hmmmm the question is what motivates at work (not why you work)...

I would have to say, I am motivated by a strong work ethic, not leaving colleagues abandoned and up a creek without a paddle so to speak, and of course the clients we work with...

I want to do a good job because it directly affects other people.

(and No, I don't actually enjoy working... but if I am going to work, I try to do a good job and am motivated to do this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
hmmmm the question is what motivates at work (not why you work)...

I would have to say, I am motivated by a strong work ethic, not leaving colleagues abandoned and up a creek without a paddle so to speak, and of course the clients we work with...

I want to do a good job because it directly affects other people.

(and No, I don't actually enjoy working... but if I am going to work, I try to do a good job and am motivated to do this)
Yes, we understood the question.

A lack of money, food, and affordable healthcare is a heck of a motivator at work.

Thinking about losing my paycheck has held my tongue many times.

The touchy feely stuff is nice, but it doesn't motivate everyone - or, dare I say, most people.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes you are in the minority.
That's sad. While I understand not everyone can change their job/situation, I also feel VERY sorry for people who dislike their work. I've had jobs I didn't like, and every day was like slow torture... so I couldn't imagine dealing with that for a lifetime. But I also acknowledge my privilege, as not everyone has the same opportunities available.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I can understand this. If you are lucky enough to have CHOSEN your job or profession you are more likely to enjoy and to be motivated by doing it. I chose, studied for, competed for, and put up with so much in order to do the work I felt was important. Getting a steady paycheck was obviously necessary (this isn't lalaland), but there were times when I had to find other ways to keep going. Again, with a long term goal in mind you can do it. I managed for 34+ years. Always worked in public service type jobs with state or federal. If anyone assumes these are cushy easy jobs don't. You get to live more closely with politically driven decisions by people who don't know or care about anything other than their own power or public image. Of course there were times when the work sucked, I hated a supervisor, a co-worker, a policy, or a decision, but most of the time I tried to keep looking ahead. If it really gets so bad you can't keep going, time for some soul searching.

I'm actually a third-generation librarian, so it is literally in my blood! But I didn't enter college with that goal, in fact I started as a music education major - then switched to English Lit, with the intention of becoming a middle or high school English teacher. After graduation my mother suggested the MLIS (Master of Library & Information Science) instead of a teaching credential, and I'm glad I took that advice. I've been in the profession for over a decade now, and while every day/job hasn't been perfect, I really can't complain about much.

If I hated or was even indifferent about my work, I'd have to do something to change that... which is easier said than done, of course, but never impossible if you're truly motivated.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 PM

430 posts, read 335,300 times
I work two jobs. The first one I HATE, the second one I love.

What motivates me is the fact that, regardless of how much it sucks, it's currently the longest standing job on my resume and I get a $250 bonus in about a month (as per the hiring bonus). I only work 12hrs a week with people I don't completely want to strangle, but maybe give a stern slap(s) upside the skull for laziness. With the easy schedule and money, even though the pay isn't worth the effort, I stay. I'm leaving by the first sign of a snow anyway, so at this point i'm milking it.

My other job motivates me just because it's mostly what I want to do in my future. I work as a receptionist at an animal hospital and despite being the only person there most days, I LOVE it. I love working with the people, my coworkers, the animals, the vets. I'm saddened by every euthanasia that comes through, but I still wouldn't trade it. I love my job so much I actually let a better paying airport job go. It's hard af to even get an interview with Southwest airlines without contacts and I actually got one. The reason I declined the interview altogether was because, if hired, I would have had to let the animal hospital go. And, regardless of pay, that job would take me further as it's linked up with what I want to do: Veterinarian or vet tech.

So basically: Length of time, $250 bonus for job #1. Simply loving it for job #2.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Money, recognition, satisfaction of doing a good job, my family, rewards.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
3:30 PM, every day. Thats when I get off. I'm in a union job and they cannot fire me unless I do something very egregious, and I have no history of ever doing anything that would get me fired. I'm slogging it out for another 5.5 years so I can retire at 56 and be done with this rat race. What motivates me is getting to the finish line, one day at a time.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I love my job
I love my paycheck
Sense of accomplishment in what I do
I'm a people pleaser

Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Several true statements below that many won't understand. I have for my career pretty much done what I dreamed of doing since a child. I'm motivated by making a difference in a job that if I do it well most won't know about and few will understand. They will only hear about it when it hits the news. And it only hits the news that one time out of a hundred when something goes wrong. They never hear about the 99 times it goes right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I can understand this. If you are lucky enough to have CHOSEN your job or profession you are more likely to enjoy and to be motivated by doing it. I chose, studied for, competed for, and put up with so much in order to do the work I felt was important. Getting a steady paycheck was obviously necessary (this isn't lalaland), but there were times when I had to find other ways to keep going. Again, with a long term goal in mind you can do it. I managed for 34+ years. Always worked in public service type jobs with state or federal. If anyone assumes these are cushy easy jobs don't. You get to live more closely with politically driven decisions by people who don't know or care about anything other than their own power or public image. Of course there were times when the work sucked, I hated a supervisor, a co-worker, a policy, or a decision, but most of the time I tried to keep looking ahead. If it really gets so bad you can't keep going, time for some soul searching.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
A paycheck.

Actually, while the above is true, the way I have motivated myself in a "mindless" job was to see if I could be the best person they had ever had in that position. I almost made it sort of a game, I guess: can I do this better, faster, and more efficiently than I did yesterday? In jobs with more responsibility, it's delivering the best possible product to the customer.

AND a paycheck.

What de-motivates? Threats, verbal abuse, bullies, blind devotion to "correct procedure" when it's clearly produced an erroneous result.

Now, for the following. This ain't a political thread. Take your Trump worship somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have had good bosses and bad bosses. When I had a boss that was so evil I hated to go to work I went looking in the Bible for the answer and guess what? The answer is there. We are supposed to do our best to do good work in order to honor God. Whether we are treated fairly or not isn't in the equation. Keep on keeping on no matter what and your efforts will some day be rewarded. I think we have a president doing that right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment