Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Yes, I've done 10-12 days straight more than once - but that was mostly by choice, since I don't always work a full shift (and wanted to get 40 hours). Even with my regular schedule, I never get two consecutive days off! My off days are always Friday/Monday or Saturday/Monday, so I'd love to actually get two days sometimes.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-09-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Yup, I work 7 days a week quite frequently. I own my own business and work from home a lot. My husband works in IT and quite often will work a bit on his days off. Projects don't wait for people to work on them. They need to get done and there are tight deadlines that have to be met.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:25 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,187,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
I'm getting over 40 hours/week, while the managers are directing ANY coworker in my position to me if they need a shift covered, so I've worked for 13 consecutive days straight (with them sometimes being shifts that are longer than 8 hours, all nocturnally). I'm going to assume that this is a yellow or red flag.
Prior to getting into the long haul trucking game, the longest I've gone without a day off was 4.5 months. I worked, on average, 14 hours each day. 13 days straight isn't ####!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:35 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,877,453 times
I'm in the commercial seafood industry, lot's long days/7 days a week periods. It's not a big deal, part of the expectations and culture. Commute, housing, meals are either little factor or taken care of.

One period where it did get grinding was 2003 after my home purchase, had a 45 hour week job and was looking at higher housing costs so I took a Fri/Sat/Sun overnight shift working "front desk" (security) from 11pm-7:00am at a high-end downtown retirement center. Lasted almost 12 months and was glad it I did it- but more glad that it was over.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:00 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
We were short-handed at tax time one year and the word was that anyone on my team could work as much overtime as they wanted. I put in a little over two weeks of every day, in at 6 AM, work until about 9 PM, home to shower and catch some sleep in the recliner, alarm goes off at 5:15 AM. Lather, rinse and repeat. Man, what a paycheck, but I would never have done it again.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Sure, I have done it a number of times. I used to work a job with significant seasonal demands. Twice a year I would work 12-17 days in a row, and I did that for about 20 years.

Salaried exempt, but I took some comp to make up for the long days.

Last edited by fishbrains; 08-09-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I had a 5-year stretch where I was working a swing-shift 40 hour union mechanic job that had a mandatory "stay for overtime" if notified at least 1/2 hour before the end of the shift. Management could also notify you to report for the next shift even if it was your scheduled day off. Due to my skillset and the senior mechanics not wanting to work the overtime (they could refuse due to seniority), the management had me working 7-days/week for years on end with lots of overtime for a few days each week. Yeah, the gross pay at time and a half and doubletime looked good, but the wear and tear on me and on the marriage was pretty tough.

At the same time, I'd started my own indie repair shop and was trying to build that up with repeat clientele/contract work on fleets. Most of my 8-hr only regular job days were then finished out with 3-5 hours in my own business shop.

In due course, I was able to build up my clientele to a point where I could quit my "regular" job. While a happy day to lock up the tool boxes there for the last time and load them up ... I fell into a workload that was as many hours per week in my own shop. Took three years before I saw a day off. If i wasn't in the shop doing actual work, I needed to be at my desk doing the paperwork, parts ordering, etc.

When I bought out a retiring guys' shop in Denver with employees, I thought my endless workload would be lightened. That's when my real education into the business world began and I continued to work as many hours/days as before ... but with an infrequent weekend day off. Finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel and adjusted shop schedule, workload, and employee count to where it was manageable and affordable for me.

But that was a tough decade for me.

Nowadays, when it's harvest time for my alfalfa at the farm/ranch, I do it all. Cut hay, rake, bale, retrieve and stack. Can be 15 hour days for 6-10 days in a row. Well past retirement age, it's a lot of work with 3 cuts per season. Maybe someday I'll contract out some of this work, or hire somebody to operate my equipment. But not yet, not this year.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:05 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
Most days worked consecutively was 15 straight 8 hour shifts.

I also once went on a 4 week business trip to many cities in Asia, requiring travel on the weekend between cities and within cities.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
the most i work was 466 days straight 12 hours a day, and jobs like this are common.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Of course I have.

I once worked 16 hour days 6 days a week for 3 months. /shrug

I got the flu.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment