Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM

224 posts, read 285,998 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I recently relocated to another state and I got 2 job offers. One of the companies is a big and well known pharmaceutical company and the other is an administrative services company that is small but growing. The pharmaceutical company offered me less despite my liking for the position and management. The administrative company offered me 4K more to start off with. I like the administrative services company as well, but the other is better for its known reputation. I countered the pharmaceutical company with their low offer but they said they are standing firm. Is it better to go with the smaller company for more pay or go with the bigger company for less pay? Does it matter on your resume which company you work for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Go with the better paying position. Remember that compensation is a stair step proposition. Your next job pay will be predicated in large part on your current pay.

Never put pay on your resume. That discussion takes place after a potential employer expresses interest and ideally after they are emotionally committed to hire you.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
One thing that I've noticed over the years is that big employers often have strict job boundaries, where in smaller organizations you may wear many hats. It may be a good choice for you, maybe not.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Go with the company you liked better.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 AM

268 posts, read 282,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Go with the better paying position. Remember that compensation is a stair step proposition. Your next job pay will be predicated in large part on your current pay.

Never put pay on your resume. That discussion takes place after a potential employer expresses interest and ideally after they are emotionally committed to hire you.
Do people put pay expectations on resumes?

It seems today with online applications, you can't move onto the next step without certain fields filled out.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
The answer is C:

Go to the larger, more prominent firm and negotiate an extra week of vacation or something to help close the gap. Also, did you SHOW the offer to the bigger company? That's more powerful than simply countering with another price.

Worst case, they say no, and your answer is made for you.

In general, "prestige points" matter early on in your career - a notable company that people have heard of that makes it pop. Once you've established yourself in your field, it matters less.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
It is also important to consider which offers the right growth opportunities for where you'd like to go in your career.

A small company can offer more opportunity to broaden your skill set than in a super defined role in a larger company.

Also, compare the benefits closely. $4k will go quickly if the larger place covers all of the health care / eye care / dental and the smaller place covers less of it. Also, check for dependent coverage if that is relevant for you. For example, a friend of mine worked at a lower paying job because all dependent health care was free and he had 4 kids. That would have been expensive.

And lastly ask yourself - how much of a difference will $4k make in your actual pay. If you make 90k, 94k isn't a big difference once you factor in taxes. But from 20k to 24k is a big jump.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM

564 posts, read 448,929 times
Large companies are easy to research re working conditions. Small companies, not so much. You don't want to find yourself truly overloaded by a superior who has little managerial experience but lots of ambition.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:23 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
What is the comparison in terms of the benefits package? You really have to look at the total compensation package, not just salary.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
at the end of the day; 4k a year is not much of a difference (IMO); so i would go with the bigger and likely more stable company if everything else is comparative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment