Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 12:55 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

I'm working as an IC and receiving only commissions. If I make few sales I get very little.

I found some articles saying that if you are paid only commissions and make very little, the employer has to make up for it so you make the equivalent of minimum wage. But that rule only applies to employees and not ICs. Some of the articles don't specify that it only applies to employees.

I just wanted to clarify this because some ICs might not know any better. And please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:25 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
If you want to go into sales as an independent contractor, you better find a product/service that have better profit margin. Don't waste your time selling something to earn $5, $10. You need to find something that make some good money after each sales.

Ind. Contractor are not employee so they don't get the same stuff as an employee would benefit from like that minimum wage guaranteed . But with that said, as an Ind. Contractor you can work when you want. The person or company you contract with should not be able to tell you when to work or how often you should work unless you two agree on a time frame to get a certain quota done.

If you are an Ind. Contractor and they are telling you what to do, when to do, how much time you should do it, they are taking advantage of you.

BTW, what industry, product, or service you selling?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:38 PM

I am calling regular customers in a club, to come back to certain shows for free. The club does this because the customers will then buy stuff at the bar and it seems better if there are more people at the shows. I am paid a pittance for each person who comes in because I contacted them.

I'm looking for other jobs of course, but I need this job so I can put something on my resume because I had a big gap before.

I have two coworkers who seem to like working there although the pay is puny. I don't know why they bother. They seem capable of getting a higher paying job. Maybe they like the super-flexible hours.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:48 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
You are not wrong. ICs do not have to make a minimum wage.

That being said, make sure that the actual work you do does fall under the rules for being an independent contractor. Sometimes employers will call someone an IC so they can 1099 them and not pay unemployment taxes, workers comp, etc. https://www.acf.hhs.gov/css/resource...nd-an-employee

Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
What you are doing does not seem to fall under the definition of independent contractor. A salesman can be considered to be an independent contractor but in general you must operate as an exclusive business.
I used to hire many independent contractors but the IRS got tough and I had to send in SS-8's which were almost always denied. In general if you arent licensed by some entity such as a Construction contractor, engineer, CPA or something similar it is very tough to qualify as an independent contractor.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 PM

I had two jobs where I worked in a law firm doing Word and Excel documents, and I was considered an IC.
I was paid above the minimum wage because they just wanted to.

Is that unusual?

Old 08-11-2017, 01:27 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
minimum wage laws also don't apply to business owners as well...

IC should know how much they need to charge to make their work profitable, if they can't do that, then they shouldn't be an IC

Old 08-12-2017, 12:48 PM

An employee gets a W-2; an IC gets a 1099 (if they earn a certain amount or more)

An employee has to fill out a W-4; an IC has to fill out a W-9.

What do you mean the min wage laws don't apply to business owners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment