Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM

68 posts, read 68,450 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Grab an Assistant GM position in an industry the OP doesn't like with high turnover, low pay (it seems like it might pay $14/hour), and constantly shifting hours. Great plan.

True. Some people thrive, most simply survive. OP isn't talking about doing pure sales though, s/he is interested in sales management and support. Supporting a number of salespeople will allow income to be averaged out across the entire force.

Yes, I am really dangerous.

The reality of the world today is that senior positions increasingly require degrees, often advanced degrees. It's not going to be less prevalent in the future, it's going to be more often required. Even assuming the OP follows your advice and goes into an unpredictable career that s/he doesn't like, the top jobs at hotels require degrees. Dropping out of school at this time is a guaranteed glass ceiling.
I have been told the same thing! I originally had a plan to just do that, thinking that it would give me an edge over people who spent time in school. A degree does way more in far less time than working! I am utterly convinced that school will help me to achieve my goals, not to mention help me stand out from other candidates.

Thank you for your help again! I know the assistant general manager opportunity is great, and I'm thankful for it, but I just don't see myself continuing in that industry. It is true that having management experience can transfer into any industry, but I'd like to bulk up my resume with same industry experience while getting my degrees so I can be a diamond in the rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup! And the OP likes sales. There will always be sales people. The OP wants to learn marketing in school. Combining a marketing degree with industry is a great way to stand out from the pack to find a marketing gig. Or you could be like my friend, who spent many years selling in a particular industry. She later got a job marketing to that industry - she was the number one candidate since she understood the industry. Now her company isn't doing well, laid off the other marketers and she has been promoted to head of marketing. She is getting exposure to all the roles, opening up even more doors in marketing.

I'd work on the degree and developing sales skills. Sales opens door to other roles. I did sales too many moved to marketing. . I am a better marketer as a result since I understand a lot about sales and sales process. I transitioned into roles designing and defining sales and marketing processes.
It's actually very strange! When I put my resume on the market some months ago, every role offered to me was in sales... sales executive, account representative, outside sales rep! This was just with my hotel experience. As soon as I interviewed and we got further into my experience, they realized what I had known: I have never sold anything! Of course with my experience now I am changing that, but sales sure does open doors! Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWtoPHX View Post
Hello everyone,

I've said all of this to ask: which would be best?
You've already answered your own question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment