Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

How difficult would it be to implement a policy of not sending personal information 'to all' and require all sender(s) to CC that type of thing to interested parties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 01:22 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
ugh. she sent a half-naked picture of herself to the entire company?
tasteless, foolish, egotistical, and downright stupid.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How difficult would it be to implement a policy of not sending personal information 'to all' and require all sender(s) to CC that type of thing to interested parties?
I think this is a good idea. Maybe instead of banning the whole idea of personal emails I can just put some additional parameters around it-- like you have to have a distro list that does not include the entire division. Because there has been a subsequent complaint about people who "reply all" and the million "Congrats!" emails that fill up their inbox, even if the content of the pics does not phase them.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:40 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Then you can't have it both ways.

If it's the semi-nudity you object to, then there needs to be a violation of a policy in order for a complaint to be valid.

It would be nice if common sense could be contagious. Otherwise it's just another personal pic under "limited personal use."
Again, I am not the person who complained about the content of the pics. But the fact that they went to 300 people, a good 280 of whom had absolutely no care to see them, is troubling from my vantage point. I don't think that meets the "limited" test of our "limited personal use" policy.

As I have stated, I have another employee who came to me with the complaint. She *was* "disgusted" (her words) by the images, by the content. She cited the semi-nudity and the unsolicited, surprise nature of them. She is by nature very conservative and has been upset by other things in the workplace in the past. Sometimes she has a point, sometimes she just needs to adjust. This is not a "have more common sense!" situation. This is an employee who has a different belief system struggling.

There is nothing shameful about pregnancy and people choose to celebrate it in all kinds of ways. But there is also nothing shameful speaking up when someone sends you a group of unsolicited pics at work that walk right up to the line and cross it.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:32 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Situations like this is what the delete button is for. There are more important things to get worked up about.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
This is just part of the trend of oversharing. Back in the dark ages when I was born the father was not in the delivery room, today it is a circus with extended family and kids. Some hospitals have limiting policies on who can be there. But there are plenty of videos and pictures of a time I think is private.

The Holywood set started the pregnancy shots and baby moons and now they all follow through. Call me old fashioned but boudoir and pregnancy and delivery shots should be private. Unfortunately the toothpaste is out of the tube now.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Situations like this is what the delete button is for. There are more important things to get worked up about.
I agree.

The idea of setting up more vague parameters about distribution lists only gets more into the gray area that HR is already so squirrelly about.

Yes, it's common sense, and yes, it's inappropriate. But unless it violates a specific policy, the oversharing mom won't actually believed that she "walked right up to the line and stepped across it."

Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are some things that should be kept private. What a pregnant woman looks like practically naked is one of them. Sending photos like the ones described to everybody this woman works with is extremely unprofessional.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

The idea of setting up more vague parameters about distribution lists only gets more into the gray area that HR is already so squirrelly about.

Yes, it's common sense, and yes, it's inappropriate. But unless it violates a specific policy, the oversharing mom won't actually believed that she "walked right up to the line and stepped across it."
But people will keep pushing the existing parameters until they're clearly set. What's next, this woman sending photos of the baby post-birth with the baby on her chest, with her legs spread and she's half naked? Would that be appropriate?

It's typical for there to be some loose rules, especially in a friendly office environment, based off common sense that most people follow. Until there's that one who pushes, and makes people wonder if perhaps the rule is unclear or too loose. That's what's happening here. They can leave the rule be, or let this woman, who clearly overshares, or anyone else who has now seen the parameters pushed, keep sending out the same type of content or worse.

OP has, to me at least, indicated that there are some rules but that they're pretty loose and not spelled out great. Maybe like unspoken rules that everyone has understood until this clueless lady came along. Like having an understanding that there are just some things you don't share to the whole office staff. Just the general common sense knowledge of what is and isn't too much in a work environment. There's always that "one guy." She's that one guy. I doubt that any new parameters added will be vague. I don't know, I still perfectly understand the OP here.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But people will keep pushing the existing parameters until they're clearly set. What's next, this woman sending photos of the baby post-birth with the baby on her chest, with her legs spread and she's half naked? Would that be appropriate?
Definitely not. However, the assumptions you make below in bold are why nothing has been done about the photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's typical for there to be some loose rules...

...friendly office environment

...based off common sense

...that most people follow.

...perhaps the rule is unclear or too loose.

...this woman, who clearly overshares...

... the parameters pushed...

OP has, to me at least, indicated that there are some rules but that they're pretty loose and not spelled out great.

Maybe like unspoken rules that everyone has understood until this clueless lady came along.

Like having an understanding that there are just some things you don't share to the whole office staff.

Just the general common sense knowledge of what is and isn't too much in a work environment.
I get the feeling that the OPs policy manual reads like this^^^.

Being on City Data as long as I have has certainly proved to me that there are people who just don't get it.

Common sense, as they say, is not that common, and unless someone writes a specific policy that bans this type of photo or the OP speaks directly to the woman who doesn't realize you shouldn't send semi-nudes to 300 co-workers, nothing will really change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment