Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM

264 posts, read 249,504 times

Advertisements

Yes. I consider myself fortunate to work with people I like enough to be friends with. It does help that we don't have overlapping jobs or job titles, so there's little to no competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,799,165 times
My best friends in the world were met through the workplace. However, I think we are still friends only because I haven't worked with them in years.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM

10,865 posts, read 7,289,546 times
I've made friends with coworkers, no problems. I've even dated coworkers.

Most work friendships fade away when one of you leaves the job, but I have made a few life-long friends.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Or do you believe there are boundaries, where work people stay at work, and you find friends who don't work with you?

Why or why not?
Hell no! I made the mistake of trying to befriend coworkers outside of work and all I got was rejection. Never again will I beftiend current coworkers, once I leave the job, then I may let you be a friend when you can't get me into trouble any longer.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,910,340 times
Talking about family and relationships- sure. Hanging out at group functions- Sure. Befriending them on facebook and other social media- NO

Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
If there is chemistry and they are even-keeled people, then yes.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 PM

1,166 posts, read 872,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
If it seems that there's nothing else to talk about besides work, it won't work out, it wasn't meant to be.
This has been my experience for the most part.

I've only worked at two jobs in my life. The first one was at a printing and mailing company as a courier, so I was out driving by myself most of the time and couldn't talk to any of the other employees. But I did have about an hour of other duties in the building at the end of my shift and would be polite and friendly towards those who treated me the same, the rest were ignored. That was when I was fresh out of high school (just over 4 years ago) and only had that job for about 7 months. Never really got close with anyone there and never hung out outside of work.

My second job was at a Chrysler dealership as a tech. I worked in the shop and was around service writers, parts guys, other techs, salesman, etc. all day long and had to interact with them on some level. I learned fairly quickly who to watch out for and who you could "trust", but I still kept myself very guarded. I was more friendly towards these coworkers than at my previous job because I worked there for over 3 years and was around them a lot longer throughout the day.

In both places I always had 1 or 2 "work buddies" who I was friendly with, but we had little to talk about other than work related topics, and while I still keep in touch with a couple of the guys from the dealership on occasion, we've never hung out or even seen each other outside of work (execpt bumping into each other by accident in the store, mall, etc.) Once I'd left the job I realized that the only thing we really had in common was that we worked together, we lived very different lives.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
Yes, even the backstabbers, if they were likable.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 734,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Or do you believe there are boundaries, where work people stay at work, and you find friends who don't work with you?

Why or why not?
Does who allow?

Nobody can tell me who I can and cannot be friends with.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:52 PM

4,766 posts, read 5,415,903 times
It's better to keep it strictly professional, as too much backstabbing and politics occur on most jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment