Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM

494 posts, read 501,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
I work at a large, corporate company and learned that there is a good chance I will be terminated from the company a month from now. Despite stellar reviews on both my work performance and my professionalism at the office, my department says they don't have room to promote me. An HR representative I met with told me that if I am in fact let go, I'd collect unemployment, receive a severance package and what I presume are the other usual compensations.

But trying to figure out the "why" as to my possible dismissal isn't why I'm writing. I have never been let go from a job before. How would you behave/what would you do at work when you're a "dead man walking?" I'm typically one for going all-out on projects during the work day, but if no promotion is in sight no matter what I do, is it really worth exerting that amount of effort? My small work team is great and has pushed for my promotion on several occasions, but to no avail with the higher-up decision-makers. I'll of course still show up each day on time and complete my assignments, but is there anything I should do or keep in mind?

I will continue to apply elsewhere and establish a network of colleagues at my current job. But as I mentioned, this would be a first for me. What would you do?
Freshen your resume. Start looking for your next gig. If you have a company phone/laptop, clear it of any personal information and links to non-work accounts (e.g., email).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
I admit it would be hard for me to work "as usual".
But I would still try and perform the best I can, just to avoid burning any bridges with the people in the organization. Think of it as an investment in your career.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I've only been terminated once. They didn't give me advance notice; I was paid as an independent contractor, so they just said, "don't come back tomorrow." It was kind of shocking.

In jobs where I've given notice, I try to maintain a professional level of work right to the bitter end. Well, maybe a bit longer lunch hours.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:42 PM

285 posts, read 225,156 times
It depends. If I was retiring for good, I'd just twiddle my thumbs and run out the clock until it was time to leave.

If I needed them as a reference, I'd continue doing my job.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I've had a couple of cases where I (not to mention the whole team/department) was notified of being laid off. Losing a contract, or disputes with payment that employees could no longer be paid.
-Staying professional is good to do
-However, you can let loose a bit. Don't devote all your well being and fiber into your work. You're getting let go, and this isn't going to change their minds. At one position, most everyone was using the company printer to print resumes, and their workstations to look for work.

-talk to people you'd like to stay in contact with, and get their contact info.
---This includes folks you could genuinely be friends with, or otherwise chat every few weeks or months
---perhaps from internal recruiters if you've got a more deeper relationship with them. They may get info about jobs through the grapevine.
---Get your professional references set. At minimum, get contact info from 2 managerial level people that you worked under, and perhaps from coworkers (peers, "equals"). Ask them if you may use them as professional references when you get their contact info.

-Get contact info and other data from your workstations that you'd like to retain, and won't breach policies (obviously, don't steal company secrets or classified information)

-Try to be excited. Looking for work sucks, but familiarity breeds contempt. A new job can end up in a pay raise, fresh projects, meeting new people, etc.

-IIRC, you need to wait until after the moment you're let go to apply for unemployment, although I'm this may vary by state. Double check if you can apply ASAP. It may take a while to kick in, and if you end up not needing all of it, you're not penalized or anything. You just report that you found a job and they stop the payments.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
I would continue to do my job to the best of my abilities. You owe it to yourself to always be honing your own skill and to be proud of your work. I am also bound by my license to work at a high standard with full integrity.

I would stop working extra hours above 40 though and spend my free time gained from this on securing my own future.

If I was actually retiring for good, I must admit I would coast and care a lot less. I know that's not really rational or consistent, but if I'm honest, I wouldn't care anymore.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Being terminated for not having room to be promoted makes no sense. People quit for this reason, not get fired. Also, no one knows when someone higher up will quit or get promoted. That is when someone under them gets promoted (you). Please elaborate.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Read the writing on the wall and start looking for another job yesterday.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
I find it beneficial to leave on good terms and exhibit at least basic professionalism. Of course, no one would expect any level of enthusiasm from you.

I was let go once during mass layoffs but was told to leave on the same day even though we got paid till end of month. It was a wise decision by the management IMHO because the departing employees can drag down the morale for everyone else.

In another case, where I was the layoff "survivor" some people just basically stopped doing their job and it was bad for the team because someone still had to get it done.

Best of luck in your job search!

Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
obviously, you're not the juggernaut you think you are..read the writing on the wall and accept it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment