Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 PM

245 posts, read 382,431 times

Advertisements

Can it be that workers tend to have a restroom break on different floors because they don't wan't to run into a coworker while doing their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Hilarious. Of course it is OK to use bathrooms in multi floor buildings not on the floor you work.

Funny story from my early work experience. I worked in building with a major law firm. They occupied floors 27-33. I was support staff at time and had free reign of all floors as part of job responsibilities. I soon learned which floor was least trafficked and occupied so I could do my business in peace.

I soon found out I could access the 19th floor which had hardly anyone on it. So, for my short term assignment there it was my favorite downloading location. As support staff men wore dress shirts and ties so I blended in to the office dress of whatever company was on this floor. Eventually I started seeing a person that looked sort of familiar to me from doing my 'rounds'. After about a month or two I realized it was a lawyer at the firm who was doing the same! HAHAHA

Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 PM

521 posts, read 733,331 times
I worked in a 3 story building, on the third floor and always used the bathrooms on different floors to get exercise going up and down the stairs. I never thought of it beyond that. I really doubt anyone notices.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
The spacious stall is usually the handicap accessible stall. That's the only thing I'd tell you to proceed with caution on. You don't want some awkward, Larry David-esque encounter with someone in a wheel chair trying to use the stall that you're in, that was specifically built for their needs. Most people use it anyway, because it's usually the most "private" and certainly most spacious.

It's not out of line to use the bathroom on different floors of a multiple story office, especially if it's shared space. What a silly rule that would be. There's a gentleman that always comes down and uses our Men's restroom because it's a single use facility and he appreciates the privacy. I wouldn't even dream of making a fuss over it. I appreciate my privacy, too.

For your entertainment:
I have no problem using a handicap accessible stall - yes, legally one has to be installed but anyone can use it and being handicapped does not necessarily mean you never have to wait to use it. That said, I usually don't use it unless I'm travelling and have luggage I don't want to leave outside the stall.

Anyway, restrooms on all floors can be used by anyone on any floor, especially if the building is owned by a single business and you all are working for them. I think the OP's mistake was sprinting toward an obviously desirable stall which provoked the person who usually gets to use it "free and clear". If you use all floors, why did you have to race this guy? Why not just go to another floor?

Overall, both of you were silly and making a big deal out of something that most people just handle as a matter of course. So what if you had to use a smaller stall this one time...is this your biggest problem to deal with?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I worked in a small office that owned the second floor of the building. Each floor had a bathroom with two or three stalls. All the women that worked on the second floor would use the 1st floor bathroom to poop. The first floor bathroom STUNK after lunch. It was disgusting. One of the male coworkers said he heard "bugle noises" coming from the bathroom when he was in the men's room.

Fortunately their company's lease ended and it wasn't rented out again.
Ohhhhh what a tough lesson to learn...that women's poo doesn't smell like roses! The horror! The flatulence!...same as guys'...

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
I don't know but literally LOL right not picturing the 2 of you gunning it for the bathroom
LMAO at this!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I used to work on a floor that had been remodeled including the bathrooms, they came out really nice. We had bathroom tourists all the time. As long as they cleaned up after themselves no one cared.
Ha, we have people go out of their way to use our restrooms instead of the ones at their own workplace next door. I just had to ask a couple of them if their bathrooms were out of order or what, they said their own bathrooms were too gross, so they prefer to use ours. Slobs. Clean up your own freakin bathroom and quit making a mess of ours!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
When you start going to another floor to use a bathroom, when there is one on your floor, the issue of time theft needs to be considered. Multiply that by numerous people multiple times a day and the employer is paying for a lot of missed time on the job.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:20 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
When I got out of the bathroom he was standing by the door and looked down and mumbled at me saying I had no reason to be there as I don't even work on that floor. Before I could retort he cowardly dashed into the bathroom, slamming the door.
Gentleman's code: You don't talk in the bathroom. You don't look at each other, you **** & go. Unless you're gay and really wanna do it in the stall.

Both of you seriously violated the Gentleman's code and deserve a whipping.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I work on the second floor of a high rise with multiple office tenants. Each floor has a men's restroom and a women's restroom. Can't speak to the women's restroom, but the men's have 3 urinals and have 2 cramped stalls with a huge gap between stall doors with no privacy and poor lighting, you literally have to step back toward the toilet when finished to open the stall door. The restrooms also contain one spacious stall with lighting overhead, a sink, and four to five times the space of the smaller stalls with more privacy.

If the spacious stall on my floor is occupied I've always gone to the first or third floor, occasionally having to go to fourth or fifth floor always using the stairs. Yesterday, I went to the first floor and saw someone else walking in the direction of the bathroom. I sensed he was going there so I started walking faster. Then he started walking faster until I broke out into a full sprint to get to the spacious stall first.

When I got out of the bathroom he was standing by the door and looked down and mumbled at me saying I had no reason to be there as I don't even work on that floor. Before I could retort he cowardly dashed into the bathroom, slamming the door.

Was I out of line? Today on our floor there was an out of order sign on the spacious stall. I became suspicious and opened it to find the toilet clogged multiple colors with leaking puddles around. Could it have been him?
Unless your company has a policy about restrooms (private restrooms, locked restroom etc), you can use any restroom you want.

He was mad because you got to the restroom first...next time tell him to run faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment