Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Rubbish.

I've seen phenomenal people laid off simply due to their lack of seniority or because their manager didn't like them for some reason (usually for being the wrong age, wrong gender, or wrong race).
One coworker ended up getting into a "spirited gamer debate" about which is better... he was a Playstation 3 fan, while his project manager was an Xbox 360 fan. From the conversations I've heard, they kept it civil, but the pM *may* have taken things a bit too personally. This was part of the reason he didn't ask if that pM to be a professional reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:20 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,979 times
Sometimes, it's okay to quit and easy to give an excuse, i.e. family issues, health issues, etc.

But I would opt for a lay off instead unless you are independently wealthy. Reason being, you will sometimes get a severance package and out placement services as well as be eligible for UI.

Even though the U3 levels are at their lowest in 20 years or so, I heard the average time to find a job is something like 30-35 weeks.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:47 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Employers would think you were laid off because you weren't a good worker.

Would they, though? Most companies have planned annual layoffs these days, and the reasons for them are always opaque. If you ever came across an application that asked why you left, you could just write down something like "I was laid off in the name of "corporate synergies"" which is the latest, greatest buzzword in executive speak. Which basically just boils down to saying the company decided that instead of paying 2 people to do the work of 2 people, they should have 1 person do that same work of 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment