Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:58 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times

Advertisements

Your husband did the right thing. Some of the agencies these days are extremely sleazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think most of them are out to steal your resume or are only contacting you with roles they KNOW to be unsuitable so they can justify a visa application.
Wait, if they're trying to get me to fill a job (supposedly let's say), how does that get THEM a justification for a visa application?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Wait, if they're trying to get me to fill a job (supposedly let's say), how does that get THEM a justification for a visa application?
Assume that you're American (I don't know if you are or not). Assume you meet some of the requirements but not all of them. Assume you live 100+ miles from the job's location, or it's a short-term contract that you don't want to take.

They contact you anyway even though the odds of you pursuing this opportunity are slim to none. You turn it down, or if you bother to apply you are rejected for not meeting one of the requirements. You've just given them the perfect excuse to claim that they need an immigrant on a visa to fill this "specialized short-term contract."

And the requirement you didn't meet could be "expert in FoxPro databases" or something stupid like that. Doesn't really matter. The immigrant candidate who eventually gets the job will claim to be a FoxPro expert and it'd be hard to prove him wrong, since who the hell uses FoxPro anyway?

Old 08-26-2017, 03:17 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Assume that you're American (I don't know if you are or not). Assume you meet some of the requirements but not all of them. Assume you live 100+ miles from the job's location, or it's a short-term contract that you don't want to take.

They contact you anyway even though the odds of you pursuing this opportunity are slim to none. You turn it down, or if you bother to apply you are rejected for not meeting one of the requirements. You've just given them the perfect excuse to claim that they need an immigrant on a visa to fill this "specialized short-term contract."

And the requirement you didn't meet could be "expert in FoxPro databases" or something stupid like that. Doesn't really matter. The immigrant candidate who eventually gets the job will claim to be a FoxPro expert and it'd be hard to prove him wrong, since who the hell uses FoxPro anyway?
That's right! Yeah, I remember seeing stuff like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Recruiter Demanded References

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Thanks for going into more detail with your post!

These are the main points I'm taking from your reply, along with the differences with your cases are

1) You're hiring at an executive level. Things definitely vary between entry level, experience, and even into upper management (although I suppose it varies form one organization to another, would be what I deem just believe exec level)

2) If you trust the recruiters and/or company you're working with, giving out professional references isn't as big of an issue, which also ties into.........
Hi, again,....

I thought I was done here but something has come up and I am realizing it is complementary to what I had been talking about and since there are others here and 'out there' who read these threads, I thought I'd add one more point to what I have already said.

I had stressed that sometimes it feels like a wise thing to confirm what I've been told by a recruit by speaking with a reference. I'd mentioned that this could be due to a 'gut feeling' or a sixth sense or maybe the recruiter doesn't read people all that well and needs to hear confirming things from a third party or, in some cases, there is another reason...

Tonight I am looking at someone's credentials who wants to change jobs and I can see from his resume he is what I call a 'high value' professional who would be someone certain companies who hire people like him would be willing to pay a recruitment fee to hire.

So far, so good....except....

....he has several short term employments and that is bothersome to me.

I don't want to be paid and then find some short time later he has left the hiring company prematurely.

(We are not going to define 'prematurely'. Each industry has its own version of what to expect regarding the longevity of a hired candidate. For myself, I like my clients to get their money's worth and although the productivity of most of my hired candidates reimburse several times over the recruitment fee within a year and less, often there is more expectation by a client than just 'being there' to a hired candidate. IOW, hiring an IT professional, for example, to come in and fix something and that is the extent of his/her expected contribution is different from someone who is hired and is expected to be promoted through the ranks over the long term.)

So I have to balance my interest in earning a recruitment fee [to support my lavish lifestyle! LOL] to the possibility I may call back in a year and find my person has been hired away by some slime headhunter.

Or maybe he leaves on his own, it makes no difference.

So in this case, after I speak with him, it will either be obvious why he has short term employments on his resume (discounting the possibility they were contract gigs) or after speaking with him I will either be walking away (better safe than sorry) or I may decide to speak with a reference or two to confirm whatever it is he might tell me about why he has been job hopping.

Based on the reference (and I can find out anything; I'm good at getting people to open up to me) I can then determine if I am 'safe' in representing him or perhaps I should leave him be and let him work with another headhunter (who will almost surely be calling since as I said, he has certain industry strengths that are in high demand).

So this would be another case where I would be asking for references before I send the person on interviews.

As someone here will say, he has a choice in the matter. If he understands the value of being represented by a search consultant so he doesn't have to apply online and depend on the vagaries of a company ATS and the inept screening by a junior type in HR and maybe even has 'used' headhunters before, he'll give me what I need to confirm I am doing the right thing.

And if he is from the crowd of those who does not give out references until he has seen the money, then he will make things easy for me since as I said, it is better to disengage early than follow an intricate recruitment process/path that ends unhappily for my client and me.

He won't have done anything 'wrong'. But with my number of years in this business, I have my ways and he may have his.

Being recruited by a search consultant/headhunter means the recruit's resume lands directly on the desk of the person doing the hiring. So there is a distinct advantage to being represented vs, as I described, hoping an online application will make it through the convoluted processes of a company's HR department.

In any case, I am seeking to protect myself, professionally and also a hiring client who could be somewhat irked with me if this recruit were to di di mau sooner than his intended career path -as outlined by the hiring company- would expect.

So we'll see.

Thanks,

Paul..............

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 08-29-2017 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment