Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I have heard good things about Pittsburgh. Is there a lot to do there? Is it a good place for tourists, too?
It is becoming a tourist destination and some are calling it the new Brooklyn.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...-new-brooklyn/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...nsylvania.html

Things are changing around here. We had the G20 and a host of other events.

Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 06:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Can you live and work in Texas without a car??

Can you? Yes...in some circumstances. Would you want to? Hell no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Any major city in Texas. Low unemployment and low COL.
Not true at all. It depends a lot on your skillset.

Can you land a job quickly if you're willing to work in a call center for $13 an hour? Sure. Can you live on that $13 an hour? Good luck.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Hands down, Dallas-Fort Worth.

Please come, we need educated professional workers. COL is low compared to other areas, lots to do, great weather, easy travel to most parts of the country.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Hands down, Dallas-Fort Worth.

Please come, we need educated professional workers. COL is low compared to other areas, lots to do, great weather, easy travel to most parts of the country.

Puh-leeze.

1.) I know educated professionals who've been hunting for work for months and keep losing out to foreigners.

2.) COL is rising rapidly and DFW is the most expensive metro in Texas now. Property taxes are through the roof and rents are out of control. Transportation costs are skyrocketing too if you're unfortunate enough to live in areas bounded by tollroads.

3.) Lots to do? Maybe if you only like shopping and eating out.

4.) Great weather? It's hotter than hell outside.

5.) Easy travel? Sure, if you like bending over for American Airlines.

Stop trying to sell Texas to people. A., Texas sucks and B., we're full already.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Puh-leeze.

1.) I know educated professionals who've been hunting for work for months and keep losing out to foreigners.

2.) COL is rising rapidly and DFW is the most expensive metro in Texas now. Property taxes are through the roof and rents are out of control. Transportation costs are skyrocketing too if you're unfortunate enough to live in areas bounded by tollroads.

3.) Lots to do? Maybe if you only like shopping and eating out.

4.) Great weather? It's hotter than hell outside.

5.) Easy travel? Sure, if you like bending over for American Airlines.

Stop trying to sell Texas to people. A., Texas sucks and B., we're full already.
I live in Houston. Most of what you listed applies to us as well, but we have more humidity and illegal aliens. The only nice city in Texas is Austin, but it's ridiculously overpriced and has been flooded with trendy, granola people. It's like a mini-California.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I went through this about five years ago, although I did have the offer before I moved. I was stuck making about $15/hr here in Tennessee and start looking at options. Iowa was one of several finalist states (Minnesota was in there too) and ultimately I moved there.

I ended up making close to double what I did in Tennessee for the same job title. Both companies were Fortune 500. The cost of living (especially taxes) was more, but is low compared to other cities. The unemployment rate is the low 3% range now, and was 5% then.

It was very common to hear "help wanted" ads on the radio for distribution center workers, windmill workers, other blue collar type work starting around $20/hr for relatively unskilled work.

Why Iowa's low unemployment is likely hurting its economy

Old 08-22-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I live in Houston. Most of what you listed applies to us as well, but we have more humidity and illegal aliens. The only nice city in Texas is Austin, but it's ridiculously overpriced and has been flooded with trendy, granola people. It's like a mini-California.
Not sure y'all have more illegals than we do. We have TONS.

I wouldn't say Austin's all that nice. It's prettier than Dallas, but that's not hard. I've seen landfills prettier than Dallas. I've lived in Austin before. I left at the end of the dot.com boom. I don't even recognize the place anymore, and it was getting crowded and sucky even back then.

If Austin's a mini-California, Dallas is a mini-something else depending on what suburb you're in.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Move to Austin and compete with its thousands of newly minted college graduates flooding the work force every year.
Cough.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Where I work is always hiring. Are you prepared to get a job in the healthcare industry?

Maybe what you should be asking is what fields are relevant, will be around for many years to come, and have a good job outlook. Take that information and get an education in that field.

Just so you will know, the world can use plumbers, electricians, pipe fitters, maintenance workers, building operators, plant operations technicians, and of course Nurses. So many young people went into computers and did not want to get their hands dirty that is has left a lot of positions open in the skilled trades.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Do you have any idea what a 1 way rental car costs? It's cheaper to buy a first class airline ticket and ship your stuff freight.
Sometimes.. I was looking into a One Way from South Carolina to California last year and it was going to cost me 200$ for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment