Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 PM

417 posts, read 441,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Anytown, USA. Its SO EASY to get a job.
I have to disagree. "Living wage jobs", like manufacturing jobs, are few and far between in today's America. Minimum wage jobs, which you would have to work two or three of at a time just to survive, are easy to get. If you know of a city/state where living wage jobs are easy to get, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 PM

609 posts, read 503,676 times
And I always thought that Texas was a piece of paradise !!! Been in NC for a few years love it here. Check out Raleigh / Durham.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
And I always thought that Texas was a piece of paradise !!! Been in NC for a few years love it here. Check out Raleigh / Durham.
Depends on what you like.

I was born and raised here. I've lived elsewhere before, and am eager to do so again. It's hot and boring here and getting more expensive by the day. Doesn't help that I'm up in Dallas which has no natural beauty whatsoever.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,898,956 times
No such thing anymore. If you want to make that dough you need to learn a skilled trade or study a marketable degree like computer science.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,436,250 times
Please - trust me on this. DO NOT MOVE UNLESS YOU HAVE A JOB! I packed up and moved once pretty far away (for me, anyway - I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago) to help care for my husband-at-the-time's mother and had no job - and couldn't find one. He wouldn't even look - allergic to work. I moved back the 1,000 miles in 3 1/2 months. Alone. With no money. And a baby. It's NOT a "fun adventure", it's a grueling, expensive and scary thing to do, especially when you have no backup plan or support.I was flat broke when I drove back across the line back into Illinois. Don't set yourself up for failure when a little preparation can make a move like that far easier, and far less stressful.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,632,327 times
Minneapolis.
Unemployment rate is low and the economy is booming...so lots of demand for employees.
Is the best city in America...hands down!

Too bad I ended up moving to CA for a job

Old 08-25-2017, 01:12 PM

34,896 posts, read 30,997,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I lived in Indy for eleven years before moving down here to Atlanta. I loved Indy...the only downside is the winter there. It can be brutal. I couldn't get a marketing job in Indy so that's why I left and came to Atlanta in hopes of getting my first job in marketing..no luck yet. I have been in GA for three years now. However, I will say that tech jobs are booming in Indy. I read an article a while back that ranks indianapolis in the top 10 for tech jobs. Regardless, Indianapolis is a place I would recommend. COL is not that high and there is a decent amount of things to do there.
People often overlook the lower Midwest.

I lived in Indy for three years myself. At the time, I was temping for just under $11/hr in a help desk job here in northeast TN. I more than doubled my income by moving to Indianapolis. If you lose your job in Indy, you can find another here fairly quickly. Here - about all you'll be finding are Walmart jobs.

I tried moving to Nashville. I did get offers, but the pay was pitiful - low $30k range. There are so many people moving there that wages can be kept low. Indy is fairly under the radar by comparison.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,491,864 times
benefit to federal work, being on the gs pay scale, it doesn't matter where one lives, rural or city, the pay is the same outside of not getting locality pay

so someone working in the middle of nowhere is pay as much as someone in a larger city

lots of gs 9+ in rural areas making $60k+, with col running half that

Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,323,613 times
As far as distribution/logistics/factory jobs, is relocating to the midwest worth it? Especially Indy like Serious Convo said? Is there some sort of labor shortage? I've heard you could start off at $13/hr at some of these places doing dummy work. Is that somewhat accurate? I have a BA and have been at my warehouse job for about 5 years and I'm not even making $13/hr despite being one of their best employees. Raises/wages suck for the Philly area; maybe thinking about a change of scenery.

Issue is transit as I'll be relying on the buses until I get my license. I'm from the northeast after all. Due to taxes/affordability I'm not interested in Chicago or the Twin Cities(unless the pay is worth it). But I can handle the cold.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,225,059 times
what's wrong with NYC?.

there are Plenty of people moving to NYC from other areas to find work. Try looking in Queens if Manhattan has exhausted it's job options for you.

I understand that there's a mass migration of people from NY/NJ to SC/NC although I have no idea what the job situation is down there.

5 or 6 Years ago, you could buy a house and live well on a starting salary in Columbus OH.

have you read the article about amazon building a distribution center where the largest mall in America used to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment