Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times

Advertisements

Stay at home mom yet insisted I go to a top tier college. they also suggested teaching which I tried for a little bit but after a semester of student teaching it wasn't for me.

Now I work in IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
Nobody really tried to steer me into anything. My grandfather commented in passing a couple times I should do something involving computers (back when personal computers were a new thing) because he foresaw there being a lot of opportunity there. That or stockbroker. But those were more helpful suggestions as something he thought I'd be good at and I was never forced into anything. I'm not in a computer related career now, but I do use one for my job every day (and my job does involve lots of numbers).

Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Computer science. I was always a computer/technology geek and a hobbyist, but I liked politics more. Dropped out of school and it looked bad for awhile with my own stupidity and the recession. I ended up majoring in economics and work in IT now running financial software for a large business.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Accounting. I went into teaching. I've since left teaching and I still seriously consider going back to school to be an accountant.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:11 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
The "career" my mother had picked out for me involved marrying a doctor.

Yeah. Not happening. Especially since she kept coming up with foreign guys who were clearly looking for a green card. If she realized that, she didn't care - because to her it was all about marrying somebody rich or about to be.

My dad never stated any preference for me careerwise, though I think it would have flattered him deeply if I'd gone for straight engineering (as it was I went for Computer Science). But he supported whatever I decided, from the time I was a kid, when I got in trouble with The Aunts for the following conversation:

The Aunts: So what do YOU want to be when you grow up?

5 yo Me: I want to be a DOCTOR!

The Aunts, with some trepidation: A DOCTOR! You can't be a doctor. You can only be a NURSE!

Me: A NURSE? I don't want to be a NURSE! They have to take orders, I want to be GIVING the orders.

The Aunts, in dawning horror: But little girls can't BE doctors!

Me: Really? Well then I want to be an ENGINEER!

The Aunts, totally horrified by now: You mean you want to drive a TRAIN?

Me, losing patience: Of course not! I want to be an Engineer like my DADDY, who makes stuff.

The Aunts, starting to get a little shocky: Don't you want to grow up to be a Mommy?

Me: No, why would I want to do that? That's not a career!

The Aunts: But you can't have a family AND a career!

Me: Why not? My Daddy does!

About then my dad swooped in and I'm not sure if he was rescuing ME or THEM, LOL!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Parents REALLY wanted me to be a doctor. Might have been a good one, but when I realized I was only in it for the money, and saw all the litigation, insurance and socialized medicine issue starting to come down the road, I decided that's not what i wanted to do.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:19 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
My parents were uneducated farmers from a third world country, they just wanted me to have a job. Didn't matter, as long as it paid the bills.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Parents REALLY wanted me to be a doctor. Might have been a good one, but when I realized I was only in it for the money, and saw all the litigation, insurance and socialized medicine issue starting to come down the road, I decided that's not what i wanted to do.
1) litigation is not a problem unless you're a total incompetent
2) insurance is also not a problem (see above)
3) If there were even the REMOTEST possibility of socialized medicine in this country any time soon, I'd be OVERJOYED. And if it were already here, I'd have been far more likely to have become a doctor.

As it was I only tutored them.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:58 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
MY dad said to me once if I didn't want to get married and have kids, what did I want to do? IF he was alive he'd be 101. Had me when he was 42.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:18 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Work as an engineer, lawyer or business person. I obtained my BA in Economics and work as a technical salesperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment