Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times

Advertisements

It depends on the job.

When I've worked the second shift, there was no third shift coming in to relieve me. So first shift would dump all their problems on me as they walked out the door, but there was nobody for me to dump things on and I'd get stuck there late.

If it's not the type of ob where you're getting things dumped on you, or it's a 24/7 operation then I'd take the second shift. Work is much more pleasant when the big bosses aren't around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:51 PM

417 posts, read 444,712 times
I work second shift, and that's the shift I like. I could only work first shift if my start time was 9:00 or later.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
For 25+ years I worked from 10 am to 6:30 pm and liked it... closing.

With the reorganization my hours changed to 5:30 am to 2 pm... no problems getting in... no traffic, I open and since I started 95% of the early morning problems have been eliminated and the other 5% I'm here to take care of... I hated to get called in early and thank goodness that is over!

The downside is I just don't have the energy I thought in the late afternoon to take on projects outside work...

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
My employer is giving me the option to work one or the other. I am naturally more of a night owl so the 2pm shift seems like a no brainer, however I can see the advantage of the 6am shift - getting work out of the way during the early part of the day.
I've worked both shifts and I personally like the later shift due to my cranky morning attitude lol another factor to consider is how far the job is and if traffic would be an issue too

Old 08-30-2017, 07:10 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
While I wake up early these days (this morning it was 5:30) I like to dawdle over my coffee, get on C-D, have my breakfast, then shower and get ready for work at 11:00 a.m. I would not want to be at work at 6 a.m. but I also wouldn't want to work till 10:30 p.m. since I am an early riser I would be exhausted by 9 p.m.

I guess it would depend on which time feels more comfortable to you and whether or not you have children. There are pros & cons to both.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
For me, that's a Sophie's Choice. I'm no morning person, so the 6 am start time would be an issue. However, I once worked the 2nd shift at a company, and you can basically kiss any semblance of a social life goodbye. Everybody else is at work when you're free, and you're at work when they're free.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:16 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Thanks for the responses, there are definitely pros and cons each way
I'm leaning toward the later shift as I'm not a morning person and like the idea of getting stuff done during the day since I am usually tired after work. And I would be able to workout before work as I am trying to stick to a workout program. Although I can definitely see how it would be nice to get off at 2:30 and have the rest of the day free.

The other drawback of the night shift is that there is less social time and would be more difficult to take classes or the like (if I ever wanted to take a class) since most of them are at night. It would be nice if it were a 4 day 10 hour thing but that is not the case.

Most jobs in my field are day shift so maybe I'll try this awhile and if it doesn't work out, I'll at least be able to interview during the day without having to make schedule adjustments.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
My employer is giving me the option to work one or the other. I am naturally more of a night owl so the 2pm shift seems like a no brainer, however I can see the advantage of the 6am shift - getting work out of the way during the early part of the day.
I'd like both more than the 9:30-6 shift I work now but if I didn't have night classes, 2-10:30pm is the easy winner. The early shift would place Me at the beginning of the DC rush hours. I'd probably sleep from 12am-8am so I would still have a few hours to run errands.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM

99 posts, read 102,253 times
Depends on the job. I prefer working nights because I'm a server at a restaurant. With daytimes open, I could do things that are only open during the day. If I work day times, I'm stuck with my already 45 min commute home, but with rush hour increasing it to 70-80 min.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
I'm not a morning person but I also would hate working late shifts. I rather go in early and get it done, have the rest of the day to relax and not think about work. I would be dreading all day about having to go in later in the afternoon. Rather wake up, go in and get home. I have only ever worked early hours and pretty sure I wouldn't like late shifts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment