Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The employers caused it to happen.

They shot themselves in the foot and are paying the price now.

There is no overall shortage of labor, only a shortage of employers willing to do what is needed to get the labor in today's market.

Employers need to stop with all the ridiculous purple squirrel thinking and get back to developing their workforces.
The younger workforce is what has driven the employers to look for the purple squirrels and no longer are going to spend months training new employees that will quit and go somewhere else as soon as they are able to handle the job. They are against training their competitions work force, spending the time and trouble to train them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:58 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
How this garlic farm went from a labor shortage to over 150 people on its applicant waitlist - LA Times

And I thought they said no one wanted to be a farm worker, didn't matter how much we paid them.......

Not only are they willing to work, but......

Quote:
He’s now getting applications from workers willing to commute nearly two hours to and from the farm.

Last edited by High Altitude; 08-31-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The younger workforce is what has driven the employers to look for the purple squirrels and no longer are going to spend months training new employees that will quit and go somewhere else as soon as they are able to handle the job. They are against training their competitions work force, spending the time and trouble to train them.
As long as the company shows loyalty and raises pay as new skills are acquired, workers won't leave for the most part, at least with respect to pay.

Of course people leave for lots of other reasons, but if your competitor is paying more, then you are under paying and of course your employees are going to leave.

Employers get what they give.

I bet siemens has little issue with this.

Why would you leave a company that took you in when you had ZERO experience, trained you, paid for your schooling, gave you set raises as your skill level increased to meet market rates etc......as long as you are happy there is no reason to leave for the same money at another company.

I bet these apprentices are very loyal employees.

Last edited by High Altitude; 08-31-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 PM

The biggest issue is companies are not willing to meet the market demand.

It really is that simple.

When there was a glut of workers after the great recession, people where willing to take pay cuts, cuts in benefits, give up even thinking about working for a company that would train them since companies stopped training etc.....the workers where willing to change to meet the market, but those days are over.

The shoe is on the other foot and most companies do not want to accept it.

Their biggest issue today is they are afraid to raise prices to meet the increase in payroll and training expenses. That is the root cause right now, fear.

Companies also really messed themselves up when they stopped training. Now they have no minor league players to pull up into the big leagues.

Last edited by High Altitude; 08-31-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 09:49 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Just like all these previously similar threads on all these supposed job openings and no 'qualified' workers to fill them.

Just an excuse to hire illegals and H-1B visa types.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Right, rush to blame the young workforce. Do you even work anymore? What if I told you that older people are jumping ship as well. There is no loyalty from the employer to retain people. When someone gets a better offer in hand, regardless of age, they will jump ship and the employer does little to nothing to retain them. I see it every day at the company I work for. Stop blaming this on young people. It's a weak and disingenuous argument. This impacts all people of all age groups.

No offense, but your views sound very out of touch with what's really happening in the labor market. I'm assuming you haven't been a part of it in years.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The biggest issue is companies are not willing to meet the market demand.

It really is that simple.

When there was a glut of workers after the great recession, people where willing to take pay cuts, cuts in benefits, give up even thinking about working for a company that would train them since companies stopped training etc.....the workers where willing to change to meet the market, but those days are over.

The shoe is on the other foot and most companies do not want to accept it.

Their biggest issue today is they are afraid to raise prices to meet the increase in payroll and training expenses. That is the root cause right now, fear.

Companies also really messed themselves up when they stopped training. Now they have no minor league players to pull up into the big leagues.
Your assessment is spot on. They don't have a farm system, because they abandoned it long ago when they cut all internal training groups and programs. Now they expect people to come fully experienced while offering no such hands on training. Instead they poach from other companies and offshore labor abroad.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Just the market at work.

During the recession, they could do it. I remember competing with people with 5-10 years' experience an MBAs for entry-ish level jobs. They were putting 3+ years experience preferred at the time but getting people with 5-10 years' experience and an MBA. In other words, it wasn't ridiculous. I barely was getting responses, mostly because I didn't have an MBA and experience and employers were getting flooded with applications from people who did. But that was 7-8 years ago. You still have some monoliths around that think it's still eight years ago. It's not a big deal. They just won't find anyone to fill the positions and lose market share to competitors that are actually interested in hiring people in the current market.

That's exactly what's happened in my industry over the past few years. We saw the cut rate nationals rise and fall. When work was lean they could cover their jobs that pay peanuts because it was the only work available. No, eff it. I don't need more work. I need less. If they're going to pay me their peanut rates plus $200-300/day on top of them, sure. I made a tidy sum doing that a couple years ago. I never got a ton of work from them as I won't budge on my rates. Now the big nationals don't seem to have much work. They've lost too much money and too many clients back to firms with reasonable terms who can actually get the work done.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:40 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Job descriptions are pretty ridiculous these days, especially in IT. Asking for 10 years of experience in technology that existed for only 5 is no longer a joke.
Reminds of a WhatsApp joke doing rounds in India when ransomware had just shown up it's head-
American engineers have discovered the malware, European engineers are working on eradicating it. Meanwhile, Indian engineers have update their resume to state "2 years experience working on ransomware", and the HR has started asking for 5 years experience in handling ransomware.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
There are several reasons why employers in the United States are struggling to match potential hires with open jobs.

Potential hires with skills, experience, and education are looking for jobs that pay well for what they are capable of doing and are trained to do.

Workforce members seeking to enter an industry do not have clear direction in entering, being educated and trained, and finding potential employers to partner in development and to hire.

Potential employers have backfired hyping up low level positions with low pay. They have had toxic turnover. They are pulling out all stops to hire anyone, including quality applicants beyond the scope of the intended position, for the unfilled positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment