Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times

Advertisements

Awww poor babies. They can't find any decently skilled tradesman after hiring all the illegals for $6/hr and no bathroom breaks or paying them under the table to avoid the taxes and throwing the American tradesmen to the unemployment line where they finally put a cork in their trades career.

Nice to see everything finally beginning to backfire on all these corporate stooges and "captains of industry". You smell that? Its Karma. Take a big whiff.

You can't find any decently skilled employees anymore, because the investment in the workforce has been eradicated for the last 10 years. The other older generation are transitioning out of the workforce, employers played "hot potato" with these people and forgot, "Hmmm what do we do about the future" . You could have never-ending pool of qualified people around if you didn't treat them like disposable trash over the last decade

Pretty much every company headline is going to be reading the same. Why?? These employers have spent the last 10-15 years neglecting an entire workforce generation.

Last edited by DorianRo; 09-05-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
We look for companies that are licensed and bonded. A person will show up and give us a quote. We search for reviews as best we can. Then we make a decision on who to hire. On the day the work begins, the workers show up. I may have hired a business run by a US citizen, but if he hires illegals to do the work, I'm stuck.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
You don't have a clue of the math and knowledge one must learn over decades to become a master tradesman.And we use nailguns now Mr. Knowitall.
Right? What a moron to say that. Try building even a simple deck and see how much skill. idgit

I love this thread. Nice to see others who feel this way. My guy is a contractor and has very high standards. He gets undercut by inferior quality cheap labor. He's doing okay but it's a world away from how it was before cheap illegal labor became the trend.

He says manufacturing is in the same boat.

Last edited by hunterseat; 09-05-2017 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 07:36 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Right? What a moron to say that. Try building even a simple deck and see how much skill. idgit

I love this thread. Nice to see others who feel this way. My guy is a contractor and has very high standards. He gets undercut by inferior quality cheap labor. He's doing okay but it's a world away from how it was before cheap illegal labor became the trend.

He says manufacturing is in the same boat.
No. Manufacturing is most certainly *not* in the same boat. Educate yourself at what our economy has shifted to already.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
That's pretty sad. Basic algebra is not even college level math.
No $hit Sherlock.I learned it in highschool as well as geometry.That was in the 50's and 60's.The poster you are responding to is a LIAR. I only graduated highschool but have build several spiral staircases form scratch including one multistory with landings.Maybe we paid more attention to learning than witch bathroom we should force the school to let us use. But then I went to Catholic school not the Gov waste camps.

I

Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 AM

531 posts, read 452,847 times
Why rebuild? If the location gets flooded, abandon it. You think there is never going to be another hurricane on the Texas coast?

Old 09-06-2017, 10:51 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Why rebuild? If the location gets flooded, abandon it. You think there is never going to be another hurricane on the Texas coast?
Abandon Houston? The fourth largest city in the country, home to most of our oil refining capacity, as well as 2nd busiest port in the country?

Crazy talk.

While you are at it, why not abandon San Diego, LA, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle because of the inevitable west cost earthquake?

Peurto Rico, New Orleans, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia and New York have to go because of hurricanes and coastal flooding.

Every city along the Mississippi should be relocated, as that floods too.

Phoenix and Albuquerque are going to drain their aquifers and run out of water.

Kansas City and Oklahoma City are going to be hit by tornados sooner or later.

Maybe we should just relocate 300 million people to Denver?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 PM

531 posts, read 452,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Abandon Houston? The fourth largest city in the country, home to most of our oil refining capacity, as well as 2nd busiest port in the country?
No, but those neighborhoods in Harris County that got flooded badly enough to need the houses rebuilt should not have the houses rebuilt, but instead demolished. They need a new zoning, Periodically Submerged, that will prevent real-estate promoters from suckering more people with houses built in a flood plain. If we want to keep downtown Houston (I've been there), we will need to build a levee. As another poster commented, it was a bad choice to build a petroleum refinery where it could get flooded when higher ground was readily available. The decision on it is whether it's cheaper to rebuild or protect with a levee.
Nobody has a right to build in a flood plain, even if they own land there. Unless they agree not to be rescued and we become callous enough to watch them drown. Nobody has a right to use my tax money for elaborate flood control works in order to let them live in the flood plain.
New Orleans was different because the levee could (we assume) be strengthened to survive another Hurricane Katrina. Still, it would be more practical to let the Mississippi make its new course through the Red River like it's been trying to do and leave New Orleans a backwater.
By the way, the figure I heard was eighteen thousand households made homeless, fewer than sixty thousand people. Surely we can relocate that much housing.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Electrical apprentice is the dumb trade.All you get to do is turn a screwdriver.A good Carpenter needs to know way more than algebra to frame complex roofs cut complex crown mouldings etc.How many light switches and outlets can you install in a day Sparky? ain't you special.
Most housing from major builders is already framed and delivered to the job site. The crew just has to assemble the pieces and nail it together. There are very few "custom" homes that will require actual carpentry skills.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Already mentioned by some, but there will be a shortage of skilled tradesman. Same thing happened here in CT/NY/NJ after hurricane Sandy. Most of these guys were over loaded with repair work for months and even years later.

The Govt in CT was running ads all over TV, radio, and newspapers warning people about unlicensed tradesman coming to CT and doing poor work. Told everyone they need to ask for trade licenses and check their status on a CT Govt website.

There will be no shortage of hackers, con men, and craiglist scammers, so beware.

Also, thousands of "nearly new and exceptionally clean" used cars will be flowing out of Houston very soon to the north. Beware of that too.
Get ready for an invasion of gypsy roofers who will demand to be paid up front and not complete the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment