Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:46 PM

902 posts, read 745,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I admit what few will. I suck at my job. I not only admit that, I suck at my career.

I've managed to survive and even earn a promotion because I work really hard. I put in more hours than others that are more respected and utilized than me, and I am a very pleasant 'yes' man.

But somehow, someway I suck.

My reviews have all been positive, and I've tried to pry negative comments from management, but there are none. Even people who rarely use me for projects have mostly positive comments, and the negatives are trivial things. But still, they use others for their projects. I'm sure they call me an idiot behind my back. Ok, maybe I'm not too smart, but I'm not a total moron. I have an engineering degree, got really good grades. There must be something out there for me.

I've tried to take a paycut of tens of thousands of dollars to start a new career/field, but nobody wants to hire a 'loser'. They want to hire somebody who has stayed the straight path since age 22 and has all the same experience in all the same crap or they want to hire a fresh college grad. In retrospect, I should have chosen a career where my hours of hard work come through. And I don't give a **** about $ or status. So, maybe something a bit more along the lines of helping people. Again, a bit late.

So then, what do you do when you're in this situation?

And I know this being CD forum, people are going to say, "Well, it's a dog eat dog world, and you suck and I rule." Great. I knew that already.
You're not going to make it in anything in life with that outlook. You're most likely depressed and need mental help or a change in outlook. The "very pleasant yes man" tells a story of a classic "nice" guy, and those guys never get what they want no matter how helpful,accommodating, pleasant, and nice they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
You're average. Nothing won't with that though. I know we talk about being above average a lot today but if you actually have a job, you are in a good place to change fields if need be.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,936,307 times
If you are really good at what you love, that's the best job in the world. If you really love what you are lousy at, that's a hobby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I think that's true for most people, but some people really don't like what they do well. And some people do really lousy on things they love doing. Ask me how I know this.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,468,522 times
You stop sucking.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:41 PM

10,600 posts, read 12,062,327 times
I've only read the first page....and I'm thinking I'm getting to old to be reading stuff like this, and I just can't relate to all the apparent lack of self esteem issues.

YOU say you suck. Yet all your reviews are positive. And others at work think well (enough) of you.
So what's the issue? Do your best. And keep doing what your doing to improve, or not.

I don't want to say just keep 'coasting" because that's not what you're doing. You're doing work that others seem to accept and think is OK. But they're not falling all over you like you're some vital part of the team.

OK. So you're not a top performer. And you might suck at your job. Maybe you don't suck, Apparently they accept that where you work. Unless:
-- you think you see some writing on the wall about how OTHERS openly (or privately) think you're an actual DRAG on the team, or....
-- you're seen as such a weak link that it's making more work for THEM, or.....
-- you get bad performance reviews.....

YOUR lack of confidence or self-esteem is your issue.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times
i suck at my job, dont know why I havent been fired yet, been there 33 years.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,114,734 times
Wait until you're let go. Collect UE and sleep until 10.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:17 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,115,919 times
From my experience those who suck at their jobs usually get promoted, if you are too good at your job you are to valuable to be promoted.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:57 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,040,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

YOU say you suck. Yet all your reviews are positive. And others at work think well (enough) of you.
So what's the issue? Do your best. And keep doing what your doing to improve, or not.

I don't want to say just keep 'coasting" because that's not what you're doing. You're doing work that others seem to accept and think is OK. But they're not falling all over you like you're some vital part of the team.

OK. So you're not a top performer. And you might suck at your job. Maybe you don't suck, Apparently they accept that where you work. Unless:
-- you think you see some writing on the wall about how OTHERS openly (or privately) think you're an actual DRAG on the team, or....
-- you're seen as such a weak link that it's making more work for THEM, or.....
-- you get bad performance reviews.....
That's all correct. So, what is there to not understand?

I'm already at close to maximum effort. Others put in just 40 hours and are ahead of me.

Part of that is probably because my communication skills aren't the best.

The bigger problem is I do not think it is worth to improve my communication skills, always be on my toes not to say something stupid, and to bust my ass for the sole reward of $ and promotion status. ESPECIALLY when I care about $ less than 90% of people in this world.

Right now, I need to decide what the next step is.

If I decide I agree with what others say and that 'work is work', maybe I stick it out and try and fine tune, or ... switch companies where I can start fresh and improve my reputation.

Or do I jump off a cliff and change careers?

Work is maximizing so much of my time and effort during the week that I just haven't been able to put as much effort into this process as I would like.

P.S. As far as the reviews, I think what a lot of companies do is ... if you don't have a glaring negative, they'll just give you a positive review. Personally, I think that's bad. You should always tell someone when they **** up, otherwise, they don't know...

Old 09-07-2017, 06:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
If you are the only one that thinks you suck you probably are holding yourself to to high of a standard. It sounds like everyone else is more than satisfied with your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment