Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,351,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Yes, we all know people who don't have computers or smartphones. Maybe one or two people even. Might even be the same two people we all know collectively.

Most of them aren't going into an office supply store that specializes in electronics and internet-capable devices. Most people who go to these stores - have e-mail. So when most of the people who say "I don't have it" tell me "I don't have it," I know most of them are lying. Especially the 20-somethings who walk in for an sd card for their cell phone. Pretttttty sure they have an e-mail. And it's my job to ask for it.
It doesn't matter if they are lying or not. They don't have to give you their email address, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,715,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
Is it not being acknowledged when walking in? Is it not being asked if you need help and look lost? Is it the general vibe of the store?

I only walk out of retail stores when I get treated rudely. It rarely happens, and I'm someone that is very understanding and doesn't need to be coddled when I go into a store. I just don't want to be treated dismissively if I'm just asking a question because I'm a good customer that is pretty patient and not obnoxious at all. I hate rude customers so I try my hardest to make sure I never give retail employees a hard time.

I'm not sure this thread is in the right place, I thought this sub forum would be the best place for it but if it needs to be moved then please do so Mods!

Long lines that are not moving.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 AM

5,860 posts, read 11,898,664 times
I don't shop at Kohl's much anymore because they are relentless about asking you if you want to open their store credit card. One no is not sufficient. I got angry at one cashier (who was just doing what she was told) and she said, "look, just tell them you already have one, we're required to ask". I did have one and cancelled it because I forgot a payment and the $25 late fee and 25% interest knocked out all the potential savings I had from getting their coupons. I only signed up for it to get the discount they give you on the initial purchase. In general I hate store credit cards anyway.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:19 PM

15,701 posts, read 17,018,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Yes, we all know people who don't have computers or smartphones. Maybe one or two people even. Might even be the same two people we all know collectively.

Most of them aren't going into an office supply store that specializes in electronics and internet-capable devices. Most people who go to these stores - have e-mail. So when most of the people who say "I don't have it" tell me "I don't have it," I know most of them are lying. Especially the 20-somethings who walk in for an sd card for their cell phone. Pretttttty sure they have an e-mail. And it's my job to ask for it.

If you were talking about office supply stores that specialize in electronics and internet-cable devices exclusively, I missed it.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:53 AM

115 posts, read 82,449 times
Having worked in retail for many years I am somewhat jaded in my opinion. I know what many of the retail workers go through with customers, especially those on commission. Its tough out there trying to make money helping people buy stuff when most people think they know better than you, or many people tend to get help from knowledgeable associates but end up buying from the cheapest place. Having said that, my pet peeves are pesky associates that wont just let me shop on my own, and stores with associates that cant or wont help me accordingly. The best example of this is what I experience when I am forced to patronize my local chain tire shops. I know about cars, work on cars in my spare time for a decade. I make it clear when I go in there that I know what im talking about and I know exactly what I want. They still go through the whole sales pitch, trying to sell me crap and telling me about all this stuff I "need". Then proceed to give me a hard time about simple services because of my semi-customized car. I realize that they do this as to avoid any potential liability but once I establish that Im not the kind of customer to go running around suing everyone who sold me something that didnt work quite right, I need you to proceed with what I am paying and asking you to do. And do so in a timely manor. I go through the same thing with many electronics retail places in the few instances I am forced to go there. I just want people in stores to do better with the basics, get the customer exactly what they asked for and get them in and out quickly.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,135,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Oh shut up. If you're not black and never been followed around a store, then you don't know.
I am white and I hope do not appear to be suspicious looking, but when i lived in LA (Culver City) I would be followed in Asian stores. No matter what you look like, they follow EVERYBODY!

Old 10-10-2017, 03:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,638,786 times
I only walk out if the sales person keeps badgering me.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM

581 posts, read 455,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Yes to these and I will add:

Sales associates texting or socializing with each other or their friends while blatantly ignoring customers.
I actually left a dermatologist's appointment once for that very reason. I was standing at the check-in counter in full view of the two receptionists and both girls ignored me while they talked about their plans for Friday night. I finally had to butt in and when I did they glared at me like I'd offended them. I walked out the door and never went back. I'm not one who needs my a** to be kissed, but when I'm dishing out my hard-earned money, I expect staff to be professional.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,765,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I actually left a dermatologist's appointment once for that very reason. I was standing at the check-in counter in full view of the two receptionists and both girls ignored me while they talked about their plans for Friday night. I finally had to butt in and when I did they glared at me like I'd offended them. I walked out the door and never went back. I'm not one who needs my a** to be kissed, but when I'm dishing out my hard-earned money, I expect staff to be professional.
I'd have scritched my head and then shaken the dandruff on their desk...Then left....

Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM

581 posts, read 455,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I'd have scritched my head and then shaken the dandruff on their desk...Then left....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment